Same-day flight changes on Westjet?

Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Same-day flight changes on Westjet?

I've never done a same-day flight change (i.e. take an earlier flight) with WestJet.

I'm traveling later this week with a co-worker, and we're likely going to wrap up early. We're hoping to finish early enough to get an earlier flight from YVR-YYC.

I'm Westjet Gold. He's not a member.

I've looked on their web-site, but can't really find any info about how this works. The only things I could find were:

On the page explaining the different fare categories:

Same-day flight changes are defined as early and missed flight re-accommodation for the same origin and destination on the same day of travel. Re-accommodation to an earlier or later flight must be requested at the time of check in or at the airport (or at the airport within 2 hours of a missed flight) and is subject to availability. Difference in fare will not be charged or refunded for an earlier or missed flight.
And on the Westjet Gold benefits page, there's the very short and sweet (sans any details):

No fee for same-day flight changes at check-in
So how exactly does one do a 'same day flight change' with Westjet?

• Can it be done on the Westjet app, if I've already checked-in for my ticketed flight?
  • If yes, will the app allow me (the Gold member) the change at no charge?
  • Can the non-member pay the "same-day change fee" via the WestJet app, or does that have to be done in person at the airport?
  • Can a change to an earlier flight be done anytime during the 24 hour check-in window? Or can it only be done truly 'same day', i.e. after 12 midnight local time?
  • If making the change at the airport, can it be done anywhere ... i.e. kiosk, check-in agent, or gate agent?
  • If I use a kiosk to make the change, will WestJet's IT system know that I am Gold and not charge me the fee? Or do I need to see an agent to change without paying?
  • If my non-member companion wants to change to an earlier flight, can that be done at the gate? (Can WestJet agents take credit card payments at the gate?)

Anyone know how this works?

Cheers!

Last edited by FlyerJ; Sep 26, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This post has some good information: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27110202-post128.html
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I use this perk once or twice a week, so I am VERY familiar with it.

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
  • Can it be done on the Westjet app, if I've already checked-in for my ticketed flight? Don't check-in. It can be done on the app, or at the kiosk in the airport, within four (4) hours of your original departure time. Anything outside of 4 hours prior needs to be done at the Guest Assistance Desk
  • If yes, will the app allow me (the Gold member) the change at no charge? Yes.
  • Can the non-member pay the "same-day change fee" via the WestJet app, or does that have to be done in person at the airport? Sorry, unsure.
  • Can a change to an earlier flight be done anytime during the 24 hour check-in window? ]Or can it only be done truly 'same day', i.e. after 12 midnight local time? It has to be done at the airport, and has to be the actual same day (12hour). There are a few technicalities to this, such as if there is no other flight on that same day, but just assume that it has to be same day.
  • If making the change at the airport, can it be done anywhere ... i.e. kiosk, check-in agent, or gate agent? Kiosk - if within 4 hours. Check in Agent - always. Gate Agent - if you find a nice one.
  • If I use a kiosk to make the change, will WestJet's IT system know that I am Gold and not charge me the fee? Or do I need to see an agent to change without paying? It knows automatically. In fact, if you go to check-in within 4 hours of your flight departure time, it will automatically pop up and say "Other flights are available. Click Here to review"
  • If my non-member companion wants to change to an earlier flight, can that be done at the gate? (Can WestJet agents take credit card payments at the gate?) I think this should be done at the check-in, but I am not sure.

Anyone know how this works?

Cheers!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
  • Can it be done on the Westjet app, if I've already checked-in for my ticketed flight? Don't check-in. It can be done on the app, ...
  • Can a change to an earlier flight be done anytime during the 24 hour check-in window? Or can it only be done truly 'same day', i.e. after 12 midnight local time? It has to be done at the airport,...
These reponses are contradictory. If you can do it on the app, you don't have to be at the airport.

And related to the first answer (where you say "don't check in"), if you've already checked in (at T-24), have you lost your chance?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
These reponses are contradictory. If you can do it on the app, you don't have to be at the airport.

And related to the first answer (where you say "don't check in"), if you've already checked in (at T-24), have you lost your chance?
You are right, sorry I wasn't entirely clear.

If you have already checked in, I don't believe you can change your flight on the app or at the kiosk, however I am saying this with about 95% certainty because I havent done it in a while. You simply need to go to the Guest Assistance desk (which can be painfully slow sometimes). Hopefully someone can clarify. If not, I'll do it this week and let you know for sure.

If you haven't checked in, you can do it on the app or kiosk, within 4 hours of your flight. Outside of 4 hours prior, you have to see an agent (dont get me going on how stupid this is)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
As posted in the status match thread:

Westjet allows Golds to take any flight that day. However WS's version of Sabre hasn't got the memo. So if you late show the flight within 2 hours your fine, after that the system eats your cash and puts you as a no show.

The suggestion was, if I knew I would not make a flight within the two hour window, to call in and ask them to drop the seg from the PNR. The money stays but there is no flight attached. Ie: nothing to be auto cancelled after the two hours.

A few flights ago from YYZ to YUL, I had to take a later flight.
When I arrived at the airport I waited in line for 20 minutes, too many pax and not enough agents. When I got to the counter the agent looked at my file, saw the missing seg, was confused until I told her what we had done, she booked a seat on the next flight and attached it to the PNR. ready to fly.

Aerobod or Brook if I got something wrong please chime in and correct me.

From Aerobod:
yul36, your synopsis is pretty accurate!

At the moment the Sabre module that controls the ticket coupon integrity is not able to differentiate status of a guest, so the ticket coupons remaining (electronic rendition of them of course, but for inter-airline compatibility the whole industry has to use processes that hark back to the paper world) will be automatically cancelled due to a no-show. Currently it is a complex manual process to re-instate the coupons, the next step is to make it a simple process. The future will see a different module that has more flexible capabilities to integrate status with the departure control process.

At the moment it is best to call the Contact Centre before the scheduled departure time and have the booking modified.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Are routing changes allowed with SDC similar to some US airlines?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
Are routing changes allowed with SDC similar to some US airlines?
No, however I have gotten them to change a non-direct flight to a direct flight.

IE - YWG - YYC - YVR switched to YWG - YVR direct.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
No, however I have gotten them to change a non-direct flight to a direct flight.

IE - YWG - YYC - YVR switched to YWG - YVR direct.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Hopefully it will be allowed.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Has anyone changed from the last flight of the day to the first flight of the next day as a WestJet Gold? Is that possible via the app, assuming you don't check in ahead of time?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Has anyone changed from the last flight of the day to the first flight of the next day as a WestJet Gold? Is that possible via the app, assuming you don't check in ahead of time?
You have to "late show" at the airport within 2 hours of your missed flight. You need to be there with enough time to get to the counter agent and have them complete the transaction with 120 minutes of your flight time.

And do check first if the flight is running late, because they just might manage to get you on your scheduled flight

I have done this a number of times when I am staying at the hotel in the terminal. They are supposed to put you on the next flight the next morning, but I "think" I recall being allowed to choose any flight the next day. In one case I was able to go to the counter early the next morning and change to a later flight, but this is so specific to my flying patterns in a particular city. Most people really would not find that convenient at all.

Cat
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by keitherson
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Hopefully it will be allowed.
I have done a change from a non-direct to a direct. You may need to point out to them the options, because sometimes their system will show only certain choices, when there are others available.

Cat
bmuusrule likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:57 am

What happens if you late show within 2 hours, but there is no further flight that day?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
What happens if you late show within 2 hours, but there is no further flight that day?
I have asked this somewhere else on the WS forum, there was some initial confusion, but the final answer is that you are eligible to get on the "next available" flight, even if it is the next day. This was very relevant for me as I fly to YBR frequently, which only has 1 flight per day.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:22 am

I have asked this somewhere else on the WS forum, there was some initial confusion, but the final answer is that you are eligible to get on the "next available" flight, even if it is the next day. This was very relevant for me as I fly to YBR frequently, which only has 1 flight per day.

This is correct. I have used it several times when missing the 10PM out of YEG to YVR and getting on the 7AM next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post

You have to "late show" at the airport within 2 hours of your missed flight. You need to be there with enough time to get to the counter agent and have them complete the transaction with 120 minutes of your flight time.

And do check first if the flight is running late, because they just might manage to get you on your scheduled flight

I have done this a number of times when I am staying at the hotel in the terminal. They are supposed to put you on the next flight the next morning, but I "think" I recall being allowed to choose any flight the next day. In one case I was able to go to the counter early the next morning and change to a later flight, but this is so specific to my flying patterns in a particular city. Most people really would not find that convenient at all.

Cat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.