Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why only one low fare seat of each type per flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest

I'm new to West Jet as I'm planning a family trip from JFK-YYC next June, and I noticed that only one discounted seat is offered per flight. The same is true across other routes in June. Is this typical of West Jet? Is it simply too early to book? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by freebee
I'm new to West Jet as I'm planning a family trip from JFK-YYC next June, and I noticed that only one discounted seat is offered per flight. The same is true across other routes in June. Is this typical of West Jet? Is it simply too early to book? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out.
I'd say it's too early to book. Westjet has seat sales often throughout the year and I would start watching for summer ones right after Christmas or New Year's.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:01 am

I noticed this on one of the routes I was following. It was when the new flights that were added for the winter season a couple weeks ago. It sorted itself out a couple days later when "regular" availability appeared.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by freebee
way too early, you may find by that point better fares on AC,UA,or DL, of even WS itself.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:41 pm

This prevents the combination of low fares with the $99 companion voucher. You can not use that voucher in a fare class that has only one seat available. You have to pick a more expensive fare class with at least 2 available seats.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:00 am

I'm in the same boat, looking to plan next summer's trip to Europe. I talked to WJ this morning and was told to keep checking, as they load the fares in chunks.

That ONE fare I was able to see was a good one though!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by coastgirl
I'm in the same boat, looking to plan next summer's trip to Europe. I talked to WJ this morning and was told to keep checking, as they load the fares in chunks.

That ONE fare I was able to see was a good one though!
Because you can cancel within 24 hours, an option is to book one seat, then refresh and see what happens. If their system is artificially limiting the bucket to one, it may 'refill' after a ticket it booked. Stops companion certs from working with it, but still allows for more than one person.

OTOH, if it doesn't, just cancel the original ticket.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:09 am

Low fares

We were also looking for a June departure to Maui two weeks ago it was at $1500 for regular seats now it is down to $955. Are you saying we should chance it that it may go down further? New to West Jet so not sure how they work.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:26 pm

I'm wondering the same thing (maybe). Looking at YYZ-MCO on December 26th or 27th and their entire low fare class is not available. Not sure if it will actually show as available at some point or if because of the date they'll keep it blocked off.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by xero9
I'm wondering the same thing (maybe). Looking at YYZ-MCO on December 26th or 27th and their entire low fare class is not available. Not sure if it will actually show as available at some point or if because of the date they'll keep it blocked off.
Given that is a very high demand set of travel days, I would expect that the lowest fare bucket may simply be long gone and they won't likely add inventory to "Econo" unless sales on that route show an historically abnormal lag. Don't think it is related to the OP of this thread, which is more related to flights nearly a year out that tend to have strange release patterns for the lowest fares initially.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:42 pm

June departure

I did not think as you said a year out almost that it would be so high and that early June was a high season time.
The price has come down now to $955 but am wondering as it is still far out if we should wait it out as I said we are new to West Jet.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by LillianJ
I did not think as you said a year out almost that it would be so high and that early June was a high season time.
The price has come down now to $955 but am wondering as it is still far out if we should wait it out as I said we are new to West Jet.
I was replying to the comment on Dec 26/27 travel time.

The other factor that comes into play is that although early June is not as high demand, Westjet and other carriers are reducing their flights to the winter (warm) destinations like Maui around mid-May or earlier and therefore the supply/demand doesn't change as much as one might expect. Regardless, there is a good chance prices MAY drop for early June and I would take a chance at waiting at least another month or two.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:05 pm

Thanks

Good advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.