Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More YHZ-US?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

More YHZ-US?

Delta is ending its YHZ-JFK route. Last flights are Sept 30. WestJet codeshares on that route.

Is there any chance WestJet (Encore) will fill that gap (to any NYC airport)? Or add any other US routes from YHZ in the forseeable future?

YHZ is a great airport to fly to the US from. I've never had to wait at customs or security for more than 2 minutes, and that is unusually long. Recently, they even installed customs terminals (not sure why, given they could have offered nobilepassports to most travelers instead).

But as of October 1, we'll only have BOS (Encore plus ACx, but no single fares with UA connections there), PHL (AA) and EWR (UAx) left.

Yes, there are some direct flights to Florida, but itineraries with onward connections from there are rarely offered.
Old May 29, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
A lot of US carriers cutting service to Canada. UA cut YYT, DL cut YQR and I believe there are others in the past few months. YHZ - NYC is probably well served by UA, not sure JFK makes sense for WS either.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

For O&D traffic, LGA would be great. As a feeder for Delta's long hauls, JFK is the place to be.

Plus there is a number of non-alliance airlines there that WestJet could coodeshare with/feed to.

So why are they all withdrawing from Canadian markets?

Last edited by sokolov; May 29, 2016 at 7:27 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
A combination of low oil markets and the low Canadian dollar.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
A combination of low oil markets and the low Canadian dollar.
I could see that in Alberta. But here in Halifax they started withdrawing when the CAD was at par and oil expensive.

We used to have direct flights to ATL, DTW, ORD, and DCA. In Summer, DCA was even double with AA and UA.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sokolov
I could see that in Alberta. But here in Halifax they started withdrawing when the CAD was at par and oil expensive.

We used to have direct flights to ATL, DTW, ORD, and DCA. In Summer, DCA was even double with AA and UA.
Part of it may have to do with the replacement of small jets with other equipment and the new equipment doesn't suit the routes. I'm not sure if this is the case with UA/DL.

It also can't make a lot of business sense to operate transborder routes to smaller stations with low frequency. AC especially has no incentive since they have a lock on the business with a single stop via YUL, YOW and YYZ. If Encore decides to start pressing in eastern Canada/US with the 9 new Q400s they just ordered plus scheduled deliveries and shifts from the west, it could be a whole new ballgame.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Part of it may have to do with the replacement of small jets with other equipment and the new equipment doesn't suit the routes. I'm not sure if this is the case with UA/DL.
Ah. That may well be.

It also can't make a lot of business sense to operate transborder routes to smaller stations with low frequency.
If Porter can make money on Halifax-Stephenville, there should be a market for transborder feeder flights to WAS, CHI, and one of the Delta hubs (LGA/ATL/DTW). These flights would also carry some D&O.

AC especially has no incentive since they have a lock on the business with a single stop via YUL, YOW and YYZ.
That is OK for national flights and intercontinental. But going to the US, YYZ and YUL are a BIG hassle due to horrible immigration and a second "security" check. You can't beat speed and easyness of Halifax' US immigration.

AC(x) only operates a single transborder route from YHZ (apart from Florida routes), and that is Boston. Now this route has two major issues: There is always a fare break when connecting AC-UA in BOS. And the ACx part of the airport is crap and not connected to anything else airside. So you must go through another "security" check. The departure monitors in the UA lounges in BOS don't even show the ACx flights to YHZ, although UA codeshares on them.

Those things are probably good for WestJet Encore's business on the YHZ-BOS route. :-)

If Encore decides to start pressing in eastern Canada/US with the 9 new Q400s they just ordered plus scheduled deliveries and shifts from the west, it could be a whole new ballgame.
That's what I'm hoping for.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by sokolov
So why are they all withdrawing from Canadian markets?
Planes can make more money on other routes. Demand is not there to sustain these flights. Gates at US airports are at a premium and also can be used for flights to more lucrative destinations. WS may not be able to get gates at JFK and it would be costly to have staff there and at LGA (and EWR?). WS doesn't get much $ from a connecting ticket, feeding passengers on to overseas flights. Can't sustain a viable service this way...that's why regional carriers are generally flying under bulk rate contracts and not share of revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.