Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more seat preview when booking?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Question No more seat preview when booking?

Looks like WS has an updated website and the available seat preview is gone! Is this temporary while they make the updates or is this a new, permanent 'feature'? Available seating comes a close second after price when I make my flight purchases.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:17 pm
TP3

I just noticed this as well and came to the forum to see if anyone else had commented on it.

I hate to sound dramatic, but if I can no longer view available seats before booking a flight then that will probably force me to go back to Air Canada as my primary airline. I'm 6'7 and the availability of aisle exit rows is far more important to me than departure time or cost.

Someone from WestJet, please tell us that this isn't the case. I've been happy to make you my exclusive airline for Canadian travel over the past year, but unfortunately that won't continue if I can't verify that an aisle exit row seat is available prior to booking.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:49 pm

Hopefully it's just temporary. Seat preview is still available on the iPhone app.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Hopefully it's just temporary. Seat preview is still available on the iPhone app.
Whaaa? I have never seen this option in the iPhone app. I have a 6, iOS 8, and auto-update for apps is on.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by YEGcg
Whaaa? I have never seen this option in the iPhone app. I have a 6, iOS 8, and auto-update for apps is on.
Did a dummy booking and seat selection is available after the personal details screen. So it is not one click preview like on the website, but the same info is there. Not the best if you're comparing seat availability on multiple flights. I should have been more clear on how I was going about it.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by TP3
I hate to sound dramatic, but if I can no longer view available seats before booking a flight then that will probably force me to go back to Air Canada as my primary airline. I'm 6'7 and the availability of aisle exit rows is far more important to me than departure time or cost.

Someone from WestJet, please tell us that this isn't the case. I've been happy to make you my exclusive airline for Canadian travel over the past year, but unfortunately that won't continue if I can't verify that an aisle exit row seat is available prior to booking.
Yes. This will be a major determining factor for me. Disappointing after switching over from AC.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:58 am

As YYCCL3 says, seat selection is available after you enter your personal details. The price and flight selection components of the booking have been changed for some users to include the new low fare finder calendar (currently for a short period being offered in an A/B mode that has new and old website together, so not all users will see it). After flight selection and personal detail entry, seat selection is available as before.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Aerobod, thank you for the clarification and further information. It is very helpful
For me at work.

I don't understand the logic of replacing seat preview with a low fare finder, especially as all WS tickets are one way (or has WS introduced return airfares?). It appears to me (admittedly armchair quarterbacking) that WS is catering to the low fare crowd over the high fare crowd.

Take the President of my company. He flew AC religiously for many years but recently switched some flights to WS, his Exec Admin and me got him comp'd to gold status. The EA books all the presidents travels, which are mostly short notice yyc-YYZ or yyc-Yvr about 10 times per annum. Available seat selection is a determining factor for WS vs AC. The EA does not have the time to select the round trip and enter personal details I order to see whether an aisle plus seat or exit row seat is available. As everyone knows the AC website allows for seat preview with single click from the flight selection page. For clarity the EA routinely has WS flight selection page on one screen and AC flight selection on the other. She has to provide the President with options that meet his requirements (minimum extra legroom aisle).

Perhaps Westjet or aerobod could answer the following questions:
- Do fare classes associated with WS Plus zero out when all WS plus seats are taken? More precisely, is it possible for WS Plus guest to be seated in regular economy?
- is there a possibility to get A second view into seat preview that does not involve booking engine? The UA iPhone app has seat preview in the flight status screen.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod
As YYCCL3 says, seat selection is available after you enter your personal details. The price and flight selection components of the booking have been changed for some users to include the new low fare finder calendar (currently for a short period being offered in an A/B mode that has new and old website together, so not all users will see it). After flight selection and personal detail entry, seat selection is available as before.
Thanks -- just tried this and it worked. I usually would browse fares using the app, then go to the website for a seat preview. I always thought it was something I could not do in the app.

I would much rather see the seat preview prior to entering my info each time to look at every flight combo; this seems cumbersome.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Deleted.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Apr 9, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:22 pm

A few of the goals of the new design and booking flow:
- much better search performance for a given O&D
- price transparency over a given month, getting away from the slow tab view for fare comparisons
- move the flight search capability closer to the user (edge cloud usage)

One side effect of these goals is that a lot more fare data comes down a lot faster from a cached environment, but we still have to query Sabre for a given availability on a seat map. This would cause major performance issues if each fare displayed also had the data pulled down for seat availability, until a fare is chosen in the booking. There are business orientated enhancements in the works this year, too.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Perhaps Westjet or aerobod could answer the following questions:
- Do fare classes associated with WS Plus zero out when all WS plus seats are taken? More precisely, is it possible for WS Plus guest to be seated in regular economy?
- this should not happen, although for a number of reasons in the past due to different booking channels, this has rarely occurred, causing us to perform a guest recovery "action".
- is there a possibility to get A second view into seat preview that does not involve booking engine? The UA iPhone app has seat preview in the flight status screen.
- this is not part of the standard Sabre B2C offering (normal westjet.com booking channel), but this is certainly a priority on a business orientated channel offering, but I can't give any more details at the moment.

This year will see a lot of booking channel changes, the current major change is migrating the Datalex TDP B2C channel to SabreSonic Web v12.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
all WS tickets are one way (or has WS introduced return airfares?).
My first experience with booking on WS demonstrated that round-trip tickets were actually more expensive than two one-ways. There are definitely bugs in the pricing system.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My first experience with booking on WS demonstrated that round-trip tickets were actually more expensive than two one-ways. There are definitely bugs in the pricing system.
There are circumstances due to tax rules and the way airport charges are applied where return tickets can be more than two one-way tickets. The base fare components will be the same in both cases.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:48 pm
TP3

Originally Posted by aerobod
A few of the goals of the new design and booking flow:
- much better search performance for a given O&D
- price transparency over a given month, getting away from the slow tab view for fare comparisons
- move the flight search capability closer to the user (edge cloud usage)

One side effect of these goals is that a lot more fare data comes down a lot faster from a cached environment, but we still have to query Sabre for a given availability on a seat map. This would cause major performance issues if each fare displayed also had the data pulled down for seat availability, until a fare is chosen in the booking. There are business orientated enhancements in the works this year, too.
Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Just to clarify, are you confirming that once the upgrade is complete, the new system will only allow us to view the seatmap after entering our personal details?

Personally when I'm booking a flight, I load the route and day I'm planning to fly, view the seat maps, then choose whichever one has the seat I'm looking for and is closest to my preferred departure time. I then tell my office's travel desk the flight and seat numbers I would like to reserve and they handle it from there. Sometimes when I'm booking a multi-city trip I will base the dates and route around seat availability, which involves looking at quite a few different seat maps. For as much as I fly with WestJet, I never actually enter my personal information on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.