Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Maui/Kahului check-in painfully slow; Arrive early!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

We flew OGG to YEG on Saturday, March 26, and Westjet's check-in there was an absolute gong show.

We completed web check-in the evening before (and already had our pre-printed boarding passes in hand when we arrived) but had checked baggage to drop at the counter. We also wanted to have TSA Pre added to our boarding passes (requiring new BPs at the airport, since Westjet passengers can’t do this via the web).

When we arrived at the terminal, we joined the back of the long “Guest Assistance” line. An agent pulled us out of that line, and sent us to the back of another line (that we hadn’t seen) out towards the sidewalk . . . the overflow line to get into the main lines. And she told us we had to join the “Bag Drop” line instead, once we reached the front of that overflow line. We did as instructed, but were then sent back to the end of the Guest Assistance line. Then, after waiting and waiting (and not moving) an agent started pulling Edmonton-destined passengers out of line, and sending them to yet another, unmarked line along the far left. There, we waited again.

All the while, the Vancouver-destined passengers in the now-stationary bag drop and guest assistance queues were getting angry. We were still about 90 minutes prior to departure, but Edmonton passengers were being prioritized over Vancouver passengers – even though YEG was scheduled to depart just a few minutes prior to YVR. Those poor Vancouver-destined passengers ended up just standing absolutely still in line (in a very hot terminal) for a long time.

We watched the counters ahead of us. Every transaction seemed to be progressing at a snail’s pace. We wondered what was up with each of those passengers – we assumed each had issues or complicated check-ins or flight changes or overweight bags. But none seemed to. (Our ‘express’ line that we were placed in kept moving at a snail’s pace.)

Once we finally reached the agent, we assumed our transaction would be quick and easy. We were already checked in. We had seats. We had four boarding passes already printed, with corresponding passport and NEXUS cards bundled up with each BP, and handed them over to the agent in a neat and organized little pile. And we had our three (underweight) bags to drop off, which had already been ‘checked in’ during the web check-in process. The simplest of check-ins, we assumed! But ours took at least ten minutes – that's probably a conservative estimate! - just standing at the counter while the agent did her work. Just to drop off our bags and get our BPs reprinted. Meanwhile, the long lines of people waiting still snaked behind us! (I shudder to think how long it would have taken if we hadn't already checked in, or didn't already have seats.)

I don’t know if it’s an issue with the system that Westjet’s contract provider at OGG is using there, or if there were other technical issues that day, or if they simply didn’t have the capacity to check-in two 767s worth of people at the same time, but the wheels fell off that afternoon!

If you’re flying from OGG, arrive very early and allow for what might be a very long check-in process.

To the Westjet folks: Even though it’s a seasonal destination, I’d suggest you ship out a bunch of check-in kiosks to OGG. They (and your guests there) could really benefit from them!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Let's also note, that this was spring break. Sounds like it was still a mess, but I don;t imagine every Saturday is this busy. I've certainly never had this kind of issue at this airport.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Let's also note, that this was spring break. Sounds like it was still a mess, but I don;t imagine every Saturday is this busy. I've certainly never had this kind of issue at this airport.
Fair enough, but it was just two flights departing that whole afternoon. Just two. Would it be that big a difference at the check-in counter if it was two spring break flights at, say 95% full, versus two flights in February at probably 80% full?

While spring break might account for a slightly higher-than-usual number of pax checking in, it would not account for why my check-in transaction at the counter took so bloody long.

As I said, we had already checked in via the web, with seats already selected, with all passport info entered in advance, with checked bags already selected, and with BPs printed and in hand. We handed the BPs (along with corresponding passports and NEXUS) to the agent.

To drop off three bags and get our BPs reprinted with Pre took over 10 minutes ... standing at the counter ... watching the agent work away at her computer. (That was all after about an hour waiting in line.) I don't see how the extreme length of that check-in transaction could have anything to do with it being spring break or a Saturday!

Last edited by FlyerJ; Mar 28, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
If you’re flying from OGG, arrive very early and allow for what might be a very long check-in process.
How early? My flight OGG-YEG departs at 12:15 PM and I have set my airport pick-up shuttle for 8:20 AM and it should take roughly an hour to get from Kannapali to OGG getting me there around 3 hours early but should I ask for an earlier pick-up?

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 28, 2016 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

I'd say it all depends on how many flights they have going out at round the same time that day. If it's just yours, it should be a much better experience. If 2 (or even 3) departures at around the same time, yikes, it could be as bad.

We arrived at the terminal at 11:30 am for a 2:15 pm departure, and made it to the gate just a few minutes before boarding started. That was with TSA Pre -- the non Pre TSA line looked very, very long! (We weren't in danger of missing our flight.)

We had a rental car. If I was doing it again, I'd plan to be at the counter just prior to check in even opening ... then grabbing lunch in Kahului, then returning the car as the last step!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:45 pm

I'd say it all depends on how many flights they have going out at round the same time that day. If it's just yours, it should be a much better experience. If 2 (or even 3) departures at around the same time, yikes, it could be as bad.
A quick peek finds only the YEG flight at 12:15 PM and a YVR flight at 2:10 PM as the only WS flights out that afternoon so let's hope it isn't too bad.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
We were on WS1851 that same Saturday and it was indeed a gong show, the whole airport was. We OLCI'd and that line was longer than pax who hadn't, once we got to the front the process took less than 10 min to get four BP's and four bags tagged. Couple observations; WS really needs priority check in, there were 5-6 agents - seems appropriate, if the push is to get everyone to use OLCI then process them quicker or get kiosks to facilitate the process (probably an issue for OGG, not WS) and lastly the airport was a gong show - once check in was complete the security line for non-nexus was as long as I've ever seen snaking all the way down the hall so I'd say Spring Break had a definite impact. Nonetheless WS should be able to process 1-2 outbound flights quicker. A side note in my AC days the lines generally weren't much different for non-status pax.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

What I found interesting was that, on our connecting flight out of YEG the next morning, how incredibly quick and easy the exact same (almost) check-in transaction was.

Early Sunday morning, I walked up to a kiosk in YEG, typed in my ref number, selected "all passengers" (single tap), selected "print boarding passes" and "checked baggage" (two taps) and the machine spat out 4 BPs and 3 bag tags. Total time: maybe 40 seconds. I attached the 3 tags (probably 60 seconds, given my fumbling fingers and lack of coordination with the ultra-sticky bag tags). Then, I walked straight to the WS agent. She scanned the 2 BPs with baggage (5 seconds), scanned the three bag tags (maybe 10 seconds) and weighed them (30 seconds). I dropped them on the belt, and I was done.

With me, as an amateur who fumbled with the bag tags, the entire actual processing of the same check-in transaction was about a third of what it took the professional airline check-in agent to do in OGG the day before. (The key difference, in fairness, was no passport verification or NEXUS entry. But surely checking 4 docs and entering 4 Pass ID #s couldn't add that much time??)

Maybe the agents at OGG are working off of some archaic system. Maybe they were having technical issues. Or maybe they just have really slow moving people working there. Regardless, you can't take 10+ minutes to complete the easiest of bag drop transactions when you're trying to process passengers for two 767s at the same time ... when many no doubt haven't even checked in or have no seat assignments, or have overweight bags, or are in need of other, more time-consuming check-in assistance.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Mar 28, 2016 at 11:16 pm
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I have learned to arrive early at OGG, not just because of the check in process, but because the security check can also be a gong show. A couple of times while waiting to check in for YVR we have been asked to stand aside to let YYC pax on an earlier flight through. It became a little tense.

In January we were pleasantly surprised to have Precheck, which alleviated the security problem.^
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Many things in Hawaii have not changed in years!!! Westjet should certainly work to improve this. Just flew from HNL on Alaska and the kiosk worked wonders and TSA Pre took 30 seconds First class on AS was pleasant with superb service from the FA.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:33 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
We flew OGG to YEG on Saturday, March 26, and Westjet's check-in there was an absolute gong show.
Thanks for much for this info. Sorry you had such a negative experience.

I'll forward this to our regional manager for the Western U.S. for follow up with the contracted ground handler.

Thanks,
Darren
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:13 pm

Wow! After fearing the worst came through OGG with very little effort yesterday so must've been a Spring Break peak demand issue as from the time I left Kaanapali until I cleared security via the TSA Pre✓line no more than 75 minutes had elapsed. I was sitting in Sammy's by 9:30 for a 12:15 flight so had plenty of time to kill.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
All my experience at OGG has been in January, so not a spring break problem. But I'm glad to hear they may have sorted things out.

Possibly a 9:00 (am?) check in is a bit early and you missed the afternoon/evening rush?
Old May 15, 2016, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by tcook052
Wow! After fearing the worst came through OGG with very little effort yesterday so must've been a Spring Break peak demand issue as from the time I left Kaanapali until I cleared security via the TSA Pre✓line no more than 75 minutes had elapsed. I was sitting in Sammy's by 9:30 for a 12:15 flight so had plenty of time to kill.
Sammy's is a must do to end your Maui get away. I love/hate that they ID everyone, even if you are in your 70's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.