Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet to charge for bags to Europe etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet to charge for bags to Europe etc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Very disappointing indeed with the new fee. For a family of 5, that is another $250 in baggage fee in addition to the cost of the plane ticket. That could very well tip the balance between going on a trip or not. If the decision is not to go, wouldn't Westjet end up being the loser in the end? For the extra $250 they want to squeeze out of us, they lost out on 5 passengers worth $3000 in ticket sales?

I noticed certain countries regulate these fees, flights to Brazil for example, still get 2 free bags and higher weight limit. Kong Kong regulates fuel surcharges. If our new Gov't steps in to regulate these fees, I really think they will have the whole country behind them.

I really think one of the best thing a Gov't can do to impact our daily lives is to enact very strong consumer laws.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Very disappointing indeed with the new fee. For a family of 5, that is another $250 in baggage fee in addition to the cost of the plane ticket. That could very well tip the balance between going on a trip or not. If the decision is not to go, wouldn't Westjet end up being the loser in the end? For the extra $250 they want to squeeze out of us, they lost out on 5 passengers worth $3000 in ticket sales?

I noticed certain countries regulate these fees, flights to Brazil for example, still get 2 free bags and higher weight limit. Kong Kong regulates fuel surcharges. If our new Gov't steps in to regulate these fees, I really think they will have the whole country behind them.

I really think one of the best thing a Gov't can do to impact our daily lives is to enact very strong consumer laws.
Picking up one of these cards could help you a bit. Not a complete fix though.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...astercard.html
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
Picking up one of these cards could help you a bit. Not a complete fix though.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...astercard.html
It covers baggage for up to 8 additional people on the same reservation so it would work. I'm sure most people will be more interested in finding a better deal on fares than signing up for a card though.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:26 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
Anyone who purchased their ticket before the announcement should still get the one bag for free. I do have to give them credit on one thing and that is the bag fee is only $25.00 and not some outrageous amount.
The baggage fees that we agreed to, together, at the time you booked, will apply to your flight. The baggage fee is stamped into your booking at the time of purchase, and our self-serve check-in program pulls that info when you're checking in.

Let us know if you've got any further questions.
Darren
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Have you ever gone to a strip club, and fallen in love with a stripper, thinking she's different and just trapped among a bunch of really bad people, and then you get her number and start hanging out more and more, and realize that she's actually the same as the rest and just wants all of your money?
Actually, I have not.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I thought WestJet has the older bin designs on the 767. For a full flight, and one where passengers are charged for checked baggage it will be interesting.

On the domestic runs the aircraft is going to have a good percentage of people flying light that on a one or two day trip. Going to Europe there is more baggage that guests (that is the correct WJ term) are going to be stuffing into the bins. I predict lots of free gate checked baggage due to space limits.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
Between Flex and Plus fare booking free bags, Silver and Gold status free bags and the RBC MasterCard free bags I wonder how many people truly end up paying for checked bags?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:37 pm

A year ago, according to WestJet, 20%.

That seems low me. I know very few people who meet any of those requirements.
I'm guessing closer to 50% are paying baggage fees.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tracon

I would not be surprised if it is still 20% are actually paying baggage fees. A good percentage of passengers are just doing carry on. I am a good example, if it is a business trip for a few days I will do a roll-on-board that fits the carry on criteria and not check anything. There are a lot of passengers in that boat. I would not be surprised if that is over 50%.

Have some exempt due to credit cards or status. I could very easily see less 20% being a reasonable number.

As soon as you go overseas it changes. Going to Europe is more likely to be at least a week. You start to see more larger bags.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Can't use that figure, which is based on North American travel (many people on brief trips) to transatlantic where the bulk of WS travellers will be going on vacation for a week or more.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:57 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I thought WestJet has the older bin designs on the 767. For a full flight, and one where passengers are charged for checked baggage it will be interesting.

On the domestic runs the aircraft is going to have a good percentage of people flying light that on a one or two day trip. Going to Europe there is more baggage that guests (that is the correct WJ term) are going to be stuffing into the bins. I predict lots of free gate checked baggage due to space limits.
We do expect to have to check a few bags on the B767 when the flight is getting pretty full. We actually have some good data from our B737 operation and are using that to make some projections for the B767. Of course, we're learning more about the B767 operation every day and hope we can ratchet down our conservative expectations in the coming months.

We've got promises and systems in place to help on affected flights.

20% was pretty accurate. This number was of all WestJet guests - including guests bound for international which is a lot of people. Naturally, the fee now applies to Econo fares on international trips so that system-wide number will increase.

Now's a good time to remind everyone we're also now waiving the fee for non-U.S. international WestJet Vacations bookings. Meaning the full list of waivers is now:
- All Flex fares
- All Plus fares
- WestJet Rewards Silver tier members and up to eight guests on the same itinerary.
- WestJet Rewards Gold tier members and up to eight guests on the same itinerary.
- WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders and up to eight guests on the same itinerary.
- All WestJet Vacations bookings for travel outside of Canada/ U.S.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:36 pm

Don't forget that these fees drive some potential passengers away to other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.