Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meals on Flights to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
No free meals? Thanks for leading the race to the bottom WestJet. I guess we can look forward to Rouge matching that.
+1 +1 +1 WestJet, this is serving as a very poor precedent.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
Not for free any more as of this year. New buy onboard menu called Bisto.
I think that is for Caribbean flights. When I flew Transat to/from Glasgow in June they served a free hot meal and on their web site when you go to the meals section and click the "to/from Europe" area under region it says:
Water, tea, coffee, soft drinks and juices
A meal and breakfast or snack
A glass of wine with your meal
Complete meal tray with a starter, a choice of hot main dishes and a dessert
Children’s meal (pre-order required)
http://www.airtransat.ca/en-CA/Trave...-and-amenities
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
This doesn't sound right at all. Isn't WestJet required by law to serve complimentary food on such long flights??
Not 100% sure about the wording but the requirement might be something along the lines of the carrier having to make food and drinks available.

It is a bit of a surprising move given what the competition does but as long as they are up front about it, I think it's OK. Iv'e never eaten anything in the air that I would eat by choice on the ground so I can't get too excited about airline food... I typically eat before then just take snacks on TATL.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I typically eat before then just take snacks on TATL.
Not always practical or possible if you are connecting from or to another flight. Come on WS: don't cheap out!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by respectable_man
Not always practical or possible if you are connecting from or to another flight. Come on WS: don't cheap out!
It is a race to the bottom. What do you expect from WestJet? An in flight experience on par with Air Canada, Rouge, or Air Transat? Even United or the former US Airways who have the poorest in flight experience over the atlantic hand out some meal trays to their passengers.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm as big of a WestJet booster as there is, but I'd still fly Air Canada to London if it meant I'd get a meal.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
I'm as big of a WestJet booster as there is, but I'd still fly Air Canada to London if it meant I'd get a meal.
Many things would have to be compared before a meal came down to the deciding factor between AC & WS for me such as convenience of schedule, flexibility of fare, seat comfort, FFP/FFM earning and of course price.

This move alone isn't likely to result in wholesale defections to other airlines all things be fairly equal however it's one of the little things passengers may remember and repeat to friends & family when discussing their trip and leave some lingering negative associations to the larger WS brand.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Many things would have to be compared before a meal came down to the deciding factor between AC & WS for me such as convenience of schedule, flexibility of fare, seat comfort, FFP/FFM earning and of course price.

This move alone isn't likely to result in wholesale defections to other airlines all things be fairly equal however it's one of the little things passengers may remember and repeat to friends & family when discussing their trip and leave some lingering negative associations to the larger WS brand.
The major deciding factor will be price. A lot of people will forgo the meal to save $20. Canadian airlines are racing to the bottom because that is were the pax are.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Sep 28, 2015 at 8:46 am
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
A lot of people will forgo the meal to save $20.
The same fools will happily spend $25 of the $20 saved at the airport food court.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tracon
The same fools will happily spend $25 of the $20 saved at the airport food court.
You got the right. Great call.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

An aircraft of grumpy hungry passengers is less that desirable.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Meals on Flights to Europe

Total race to the bottom as far as I'm concerned. But ma and pa kettle will save $5 on that flight and the lowest, cheapest price is all that matters to ma and pa. WestJet will pocket the other $10 in savings, BTW. You thought it would be passed entirely along to the customer in lower fares? Ha!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:11 am

I think no free meal offer on a 10 hour flight to Calgary is poor form.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Delete.

Last edited by radnub; Sep 28, 2015 at 8:58 am Reason: Early morning incoherent ramblings
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by radnub
WS has said they will be offering hot meals on board. Perhaps these meals are equivalent to the complimentary meals you get with other airlines. That wouldn't be too bad and people can go on enjoying saving that $50 while spending £800 in the UK!
.??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.