Search

No Soft Drinks on Westjet.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
No Soft Drinks on Westjet.

Well at least on the Triangle.
Flew out to YUL on WS Friday on the 16:00 and back on the 14:00 Sunday. Ground staff was very helpful when I had to change my flights.
Flight crews were very pleasant and professional. Except I could not get a soft drink. Westjet serves only Wine, Beer ( 2 choices ) Water and coffee.
No soft drinks. I find this baffling, wine and beer have to cost more than a can of pop. The excuse is the short flight time, but this is nonsense. If LH can serve a full breakfast to a full 737 on a 50 minute FRA to MUC seg, the short flight argument goes out the window.
I did manage to get a tea even though the crews said you only have the four choices mentioned above, and only the four. I asked nice and said I would wait until after everyone else had been served. One more note, the person across from me asked for ice for his glass of water, and the FA said there was none on board.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by yul36
Flew out to YUL on WS Friday on the 16:00 and back on the 14:00 Sunday. Ground staff was very helpful when I had to change my flights.
Flight crews were very pleasant and professional. Except I could not get a soft drink. Westjet serves only Wine, Beer ( 2 choices ) Water and coffee.
No soft drinks. I find this baffling, wine and beer have to cost more than a can of pop. The excuse is the short flight time, but this is nonsense. If LH can serve a full breakfast to a full 737 on a 50 minute FRA to MUC seg, the short flight argument goes out the window.
I did manage to get a tea even though the crews said you only have the four choices mentioned above, and only the four. I asked nice and said I would wait until after everyone else had been served. One more note, the person across from me asked for ice for his glass of water, and the FA said there was none on board.
Most people in the YUL-YOW-YYZ triangle prefer alcohol. I'm guessing Germans prefer breakfast.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:32 pm

The flight times in the triangle range from 30 some minutes to 50 some minutes. Keeping in mind that crew must remain seated for the first 5 and last 10 minutes of a flight, it is reasonable to expect that a full beverage service offering can't be possible. Add in the fact that there may be turbulence impacting service levels (after all, the safety of you and the crew should be above a drink and a snack) and that FAs have to set up/tear down the carts and stow their galleys, there isn't a lot of time to do anything but an abbreviated service. And because the service levels are as you described, ice is not needed and therefore not normally provided by air supply.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCguy
The flight times in the triangle range from 30 some minutes to 50 some minutes. Keeping in mind that crew must remain seated for the first 5 and last 10 minutes of a flight, it is reasonable to expect that a full beverage service offering can't be possible. Add in the fact that there may be turbulence impacting service levels (after all, the safety of you and the crew should be above a drink and a snack) and that FAs have to set up/tear down the carts and stow their galleys, there isn't a lot of time to do anything but an abbreviated service. And because the service levels are as you described, ice is not needed and therefore not normally provided by air supply.
I will point out that Air Canada manages to provide a full beverage service often with much larger aircraft on the same route. Obviously if there are operational or safety reasons such turbulence, they will suspend the service.
If they can do it so can WS, the fact you don't means you choose not to for
your own reasons. Sorry we have to disagree on this one.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I don't understand why there even needs to be a drinks service on a 1-hour flight.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
I don't understand why there even needs to be a drinks service on a 1-hour flight.
Because airplanes tend to be dry places. Because some people are on tight connections and may not have a chance to grab something in between. Cuz the other guys do it. Because having a drink in your hand is relaxing. Because on early or late flights that hit of caffeine induced via Coffee,Tea or a soft drink is a good thing.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:35 pm

It's not really one soft drink, is it?

It's coke, diet coke, coke zero, fanta, fanta zero, fanta red, 3 kinds of juice and a couple of more options.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:11 pm

Just because one airline does one thing doesn't mean that it's mandatory for another airline to copy it. So, I guess you know which airline you would choose if having a soft drink on that route is soooo important to you!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Just because one airline does one thing doesn't mean that it's mandatory for another airline to copy it. So, I guess you know which airline you would choose if having a soft drink on that route is soooo important to you!
I guess I know which airline I would fly. The one where employees are not condescending, and sarcastic.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
You mention 2 choices of beer, what were they?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
Heineken was one. I think Steam Whistle may have been the other. It was definitely a Cdn brew.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
Normally they offer Canadian and Coors Lite on the Eastern Triangle routes. Heineken is an additional option for other routes, but I have never heard of Steam Whistle as an offering.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
YYZ/YUL flight time is never anywhere near 30 some minutes, the shortest flight time when take off/landing is optimized between the two airports (YUL RWY28 - YYZ RWY24) is 49 minutes., Flight time is typically somewhere around 54-58 minutes in the air for these two airports during ideal weather conditions.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jaysona
YYZ/YUL flight time is never anywhere near 30 some minutes, the shortest flight time when take off/landing is optimized between the two airports (YUL RWY28 - YYZ RWY24) is 49 minutes., Flight time is typically somewhere around 54-58 minutes in the air for these two airports during ideal weather conditions.
There are two other legs to the triangle. YOW-YYZ and YOW-YUL. The Ottawa-Toronto flight is an hour the Ottawa Montreal is probably closer to 30minute.

That said, all three flights are quite short. Best thing to do would be to handout the inflight server as you board.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Southwest does full drink service even on its shortest flights such as AUS-HOU or SAT-HOU or FLL-MCO so there is no reason West Jet can't, in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.