Wiki Posts
Search

Pets in Cargo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Pets in Cargo

Traveling from LGA to YYZ on WestJet next month and considering taking our dog with us. He'll have to be checked in cargo due to his size.
Any experiences with WestJet and 'Checked Pets' in cargo?
Thanks.
-Jim
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:49 pm

I've done it many times and never had an issue or concern when using WestJet. You arrive at the airport a little earlier than normal and report to the check-in desk with your pet in its crate. WestJet attaches a tag to the kennel, and then they bring the tag to your seat on the plane when the kennel is loaded so you know it is on the plane.

(I have had issues checking a pet with AC, more than once, and won't ever do so again. I have no experience with checking pets on any other airline.)

Some pets will be able to handle being crated for several hours and placed in the cargo hold better than others.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Jul 10, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Presidents Club Fairmont
My sons dog travels back and forth between Calgary and Halifax with no problems. He is a lab.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
On a Delta flight last week some guy had a rottweiler sleeping between his feet. Did not appear to be a service animal, so I don't know what the deal was. Well behaved dog though. It slept through the whole flight, I don't think most people even knew it was there.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:29 pm

I've found Westjet to be very good in this regard. I like that they have a system whereby they provide you with a tag once the dog is loaded. On AC I always have to ask the FA to confirm that the dog is on board. I'd generally recommend using WS over AC given some of the problems I've encountered with AC (to their credit, the issues involved stuff reservations did but that created problems at the airport which were resolved with extra effort on the part of agents--I just don't see anything like that happening with WS).

I move dogs sometimes for rescue groups, but prefer to leave my dogs at home when I travel, frankly, as it is stressful for the animal no matter how well it is done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.