Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS announces Canada to London-Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
*cough* so neither the rep nor the supervisor passed the problem on...
it's not false advertising and it's not actionable with the competition bureau, because the final price is clearly displayed as part of the check-out process as is legally required.
How is displaying a price when you are "window shopping" and another at the checkout no matter how clearly it is shown not false advertising?

Edit: I just checked, the problem is still there.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
How is displaying a price when you are "window shopping" and another at the checkout no matter how clearly it is shown not false advertising?

Edit: I just checked, the problem is still there.
I don't know what to tell you besides, "it isn't".

For instance, you've compared it to a price on the shelf at a grocery store being different from what it scans at. However, when that happens you don't actually have a right to the price on the shelf. There is a voluntary "Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code", followed by pretty much all retailers, that says you get is $10 off the first item scanned wrong (potentially making it free), and you have to pay full price for any more you want. And that voluntary Code is fully endorsed by the Competition Bureau.

I can see how the present system is frustrating, and having fairly intimate knowledge of Sabre I can tell you there is no reason besides laziness for their system not to be showing the right price. But notwithstanding that, it isn't "false advertising" as the Competition Bureau defines it.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:02 am

I'm confused about the food on offer on the LGW-YYC/YVR service.

This page http://blog.westjet.com/westjet-flights-to-london/ says:

"Complimentary light snacks and non-alcoholic drinks will be served, and you have the option to purchase more substantial snacks and meals."

When you follow the link, to the menu - http://www.westjet.com/pdf/travel/ba...OB-Menu-en.pdf - I can only see snacks, and what looks slightly more like a meal is a description of the "Pre-purchase" option. If you follow that link ( www.westjet.com/menu ) it doesn't have Gatwick as a departure point.

LGW-YVR is 10hr45min. YYC is a bit less. There has to be a substantial food offering, surely?

EDIT: Also, how is LGW-YYC a 10 hour flight? That's an hour longer than Air Canada, isn't it?

Last edited by switch007; Nov 29, 2015 at 10:29 am
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by switch007
I'm confused about the food on offer on the LGW-YYC/YVR service.

This page http://blog.westjet.com/westjet-flights-to-london/ says:

"Complimentary light snacks and non-alcoholic drinks will be served, and you have the option to purchase more substantial snacks and meals."

When you follow the link, to the menu - http://www.westjet.com/pdf/travel/ba...OB-Menu-en.pdf - I can only see snacks, and what looks slightly more like a meal is a description of the "Pre-purchase" option. If you follow that link ( www.westjet.com/menu ) it doesn't have Gatwick as a departure point.

LGW-YVR is 10hr45min. YYC is a bit less. There has to be a substantial food offering, surely?

EDIT: Also, how is LGW-YYC a 10 hour flight? That's an hour longer than Air Canada, isn't it?
Given WestJet currently does not fly to LGW or even operator a long range sector with the 767 I would not expect the menu to show anything yet. They have a few months before they need to have the menu sorted out.

I have to say I am not impressed with their "hot meal" option on that menu. A hot McEgg type sandwich on the morning departure form Toronto and a Mac and Chess product on the return flight from Calgary is underwhelming. It may take them a little while to gain some experience with hot food before they try something more ambitions. A menu kids would cook when first move out on there own. In no time they will how to cook and we will be offered something more upscale. I like the Air Canada option of selling the Business class means in the back.

The 10 hours sounds about right. There can also be some difference between the 767 vrs 787.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Given WestJet currently does not fly to LGW or even operator a long range sector with the 767 I would not expect the menu to show anything yet. They have a few months before they need to have the menu sorted out.
Well, the flights can be purchased, so they should have a fairly important part of the journey sorted out. Also, it's not 1965 - there's not much left in aviation to figure out. They lost my sale
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:42 am

The prices of these flights seems excellent even after bag charges. So excellent I'm genuinelly amazed Air Canada think they can compete.

In Y for a range of dates seemingly throughout the entire year - even peak months like August - the typical fare is £380-£420 round trip from LGW to the West Coast of Canada. This is roughly HALF the cost of Y on Air Canada or British Airways.

How can AC be expecting people to pay double the cost of Westjet on, say London to Vancouver? It's not as if you get an experience thats twice as good, infact it could be argued that Economy on the 777HD is worse than economy on the 2-4-2 configured Westjet 767.

What's the catch? Surely Air Canada have to respond otherwise why would anyone bother with them?

Y is by its very nature price sensitive, I can think of zero typical Y travelers who would pay £400-£500 more for an economy ticket because it left from Heathrow instead of Gatwick. Anyone who can spend that much just for a trivial convenience factor is not buying discounted Y tickets anyway.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
The prices of these flights seems excellent even after bag charges. So excellent I'm genuinelly amazed Air Canada think they can compete..
It doesn't look like AC are even trying

LON-YVR: BA & AC want £983 for some dates in August vs ~£530 for Air Transat and WestJet (all direct)

I would guess that WestJet may raise their prices, but they're also competing with Air Transat who have similar fares.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
How can AC be expecting people to pay double the cost of Westjet on, say London to Vancouver? It's not as if you get an experience thats twice as good, infact it could be argued that Economy on the 777HD is worse than economy on the 2-4-2 configured Westjet 767.
Isn't WestJet's 767 2-3-2 ? I flew it last week but that was in Plus.. I'm pretty sure with my quick glance to the back that it was 2-3-2. That's a huge improvement over the AC 777HD.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
AC will probably start a promo offering bonus aeroplan miles for that route.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Isn't WestJet's 767 2-3-2 ? I flew it last week but that was in Plus.. I'm pretty sure with my quick glance to the back that it was 2-3-2. That's a huge improvement over the AC 777HD.
Yes you are right - my mistake. So West Jet's offering is even better than I thought.

I'm under no illusions that WJ are some sort of 5 star airline but neither are BA or Air Canada in economy. I cannot understand how the flag carriers can expect to be able to not respond. Why would anyone pay the huge increase in price they want?

Looking at Vancouver in May or September for example and Westjet and Air Transat are around £400 return and BA and Air Canada want £800ish in May and £1000 in September!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:01 pm

The Plus fares confuse me though. They are pretty pricey compared to economy, almost 2.x, e.g. £1,025 return. It would be nice to see a non-flexible plus, save paying for the flexibility when you only want the better seat/meals/baggage/boarding etc. I can't find £600 of value in the differences, personally. I appreciate it's still £400-500 cheaper than AC/BA premium economy, though.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by fedora1
The Plus fares confuse me though. They are pretty pricey compared to economy, almost 2.x, e.g. £1,025 return. It would be nice to see a non-flexible plus, save paying for the flexibility when you only want the better seat/meals/baggage/boarding etc. I can't find £600 of value in the differences, personally. I appreciate it's still £400-500 cheaper than AC/BA premium economy, though.
The "non-flexible" Plus is what is offered at check-in (minus the bag allowance), if there are seats available. It is CDN$150 + taxes for Canadian destinations to Gatwick. Here is the whole offering: http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/busi...r-plus:various
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by fedora1
It doesn't look like AC are even trying

LON-YVR: BA & AC want £983 for some dates in August vs ~£530 for Air Transat and WestJet (all direct)

I would guess that WestJet may raise their prices, but they're also competing with Air Transat who have similar fares.
I would guess Air Canada knows what the route is like and the buying pattern. They probably have a target for what sales look like 6 months out.

There is a finite number of WestJet cheap seats. I would not be surprised if AC and BA are just sitting back and waiting for those seat to sell out and they will take the higher market passengers.

Out of the three (or four) operating that route, WestJet is the one why don't have all the analytics from operating the route for years.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:18 am

Looks like Westjet have redressed the balance - prices have risen considerably since last week. They are now undercut by over £100 by Air Canada Rouge on quite a few occasions and seem universally over £500/$1000 RT.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:01 am

Is LGW a seasonal destination or all year round?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.