Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Gold same-day flights changes

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
WestJet Gold same-day flights changes

Hi all, I'm flying Westjet this coming month.

One of the WS Gold benefits is to be able to change same-day to an earlier or later flight, similar to many US carriers.

The agent I talked to on the phone seemed new as she did not know much about the Gold program as well, but did mention that there was a 'voucher' in my account for a same-day change to an earlier flight, but not a later flight, and it seemed that it was a 'one time use' kind of thing. She was able to see lounge and seat selection vouchers as well.

Can anybody confirm this? Are same-day flight changes an unlimited benefit, and can they be used for changing to later flights, or only earlier flights like US Airways?
Old May 26, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
I thought it was any same day flight but haven't used the "benefit" - fact is WestJet doesn't have nearly the frequency of flights of AC in the places I fly so there is a few hours gap (at best) between flights. Accordingly it's not a benefit I see using.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:39 am

I have used this benefit. That Westjet agent sounds like they have no idea what they are talking about.

As far as I know, it's unlimited. I was set to fly from Winnipeg to Calgary at 8:30pm but had it moved up to a departure time at 3:30pm instead so I got in to Calgary sooner. You can do earlier flights or later flights (provided there is room).
Old May 26, 2015, 3:56 pm

Beware. The later flight option isn't what it's made to be.
It's really means next flight out.
For starters, you have to be at the airport within two hours of your original flights departure time. You will then be confirmed on the next available flight. No if's and's or but's.
Well the one expception. I was able to get second flight out when I needed time to go back to my vehicle to get luggage.
This isn't much of a benefit if you want a later flight on a route with frequent service.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
I've used Gold status on same changes to early and later flights with no fee, just the difference in the base fares.

Agree with the above that the agent isn't familiar with the program.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
I have used it to and from YYZ to YUL. Both times I needed to go later, in one case 3 flights later. Could not do it through call center. Showed up at YYZ and the rez had auto cancelled. Agent said no problem, reinstated the res and off I went, even upgraded to Plus, flight was pretty full.

Had late meeting in YUL called the res center to have the res reinstated before I got to the airport incase it had auto cancelled, agent said could not be done, asked someone else who tried and did not know how. As a result I could not be put on the next flight as the deadline passed while they were trying to reinstate the ticket at the counter. But at the gate they did manage to get me on as the flight was closing, of course no bags. Once again they gave me Plus, and said thanks for your business.
I would surmise they are still having issues getting the program information out to all the agents, and for the agents because the rules are so different they default to the protocols of non golds.

Last edited by yul36; May 26, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
Originally Posted by Canuckmma
I've used Gold status on same changes to early and later flights with no fee, just the difference in the base fares.

Agree with the above that the agent isn't familiar with the program.
I thought there was no charge for same day changes (including fare differential) - I haven't used this but assumed it was "free free"
Old May 27, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by tlvancouver
I thought there was no charge for same day changes (including fare differential) - I haven't used this but assumed it was "free free"

You are correct, it is free. There are no change fees or fare differential cost. Not sure why Canuckmma was charged for difference in fare. Hence, it is indeed "Free Free"
Old May 27, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
I'm going with "staff don't know the tier benefits" again, as we see this may ways, many times.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I will comment, as I have used this at least 20 times. In fact, I use it twice a week.

You can hop on ANY flight same day, (same location) that is earlier than your scheduled departure time. So if in doubt, and you are on a frequent route, book the latest flight of the day. You can not make the change over the phone, you must go to a WJ checkin counter. Keep this in mind, as it takes more time and you often have to stand in line. As I am gold, nexus, etc. I never show up that early, and have often missed the 45 min cutoff time by standing in line for 20 minutes to change my flight. WS, PLEASE GET A GOLD CHECKIN COUNTER!
Little trick - you can go through security with your original boarding pass, and then corner someone at a WJ computer to make the change, but they dont like doing it. I just do this when the pre security checkin line is long.

In regards to catching a later flight if you're departure time has passed, you can only catch one within 2 hours. I am not sure how firm they are on this, as I have never been through this experience.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Superman1x
You are correct, it is free. There are no change fees or fare differential cost. Not sure why Canuckmma was charged for difference in fare. Hence, it is indeed "Free Free"
There is no fare difference charge. its free.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
There is no fare difference charge. its free.
Correct, that's exactly what I said.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

I was thinking of flying earlier on the starting WS flight in the itinerary but its ticketed by AA so I'm very worried about the entire reservation being canceled and causing a lot of trouble.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
I was thinking of flying earlier on the starting WS flight in the itinerary but its ticketed by AA so I'm very worried about the entire reservation being canceled and causing a lot of trouble.
Pretty sure these benefits are only for WS marketed flights, and not code share.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Pretty sure these benefits are only for WS marketed flights, and not code share.
It is WS marketed and operated, just under an AA ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.