Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Plus vouchers? New Gold benefits on their way?!

Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:45 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Sorry for the delay, folks.

The reason for the call-to-action a few months back was two-fold:
1. Many Gold members did not have addresses in their files
2. Much of the address data that we did have was corrupt.

It's taken all summer to get it all sorted out. We're slowly making headway but still need another month or two.

As we mentioned a while back, it's not a big or particularly expensive package - don't go thinking we've been packing them for months!

Cheers,
Darren
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

Oh no! Will just have to be patient. Thanks Darren!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by WestJet

It's taken all summer to get it all sorted out. We're slowly making headway but still need another month or two.

As we mentioned a while back, it's not a big or particularly expensive package - don't go thinking we've been packing them for months!

Cheers,
Darren
Bag tags for sure!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Superman1x
Bag tags for sure!
A pessimist is never dissapointed.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:41 am

No no. Definitely not just bag tags. I would say it's a fairly complete package: bag tags, membership card and some printed plus upgrades certs.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
No no. Definitely not just bag tags. I would say it's a fairly complete package: bag tags, membership card and some printed plus upgrades certs.
Plus one date with your choice of flight attendant.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
This kind of captures my frustration with westjet. Why do they complicate the simple? If you really need the addresses and don't have them (really??? you had our addresses when we signed up and every time we book a flight) then send an email where we know we won't get the magical benefits without it.

Similarly - I have "free seat assignment" as a gold. Great, so if I book a non-plus seat I have to phone in, go through all the credit card stuff to get my $ back. I lose money in time doing that. That's NOT a benefit.

All the plus benefits are accompanied by "friction" as a customer, phoning in, gate agents deciding not to call golds, no easy access to lounge vouchers - print them at home? Really? Even the general check in process for westjet - print your bag tags only to go to a person who has been sitting wating for you to print them. Helps westjet (?) but not the customer who has to work the kiosk (supported by another staff person who half the time ends up printing them anyways).

Long story short, westjet has good people - it's just too bad they need them so much because of their lousy "systems".
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Quote: Plus one date with your choice of flight attendant.
Tedgrrr from the AC forum needs to join in the discussion on this forum!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
Thumbs down Disappointing execution

Cheers,
Darren
Sorry, but this is really poor execution. You'd put out an e-mail on April 19 telling Gold members that they'd be expecting a package in the SPRING, and then putting a very short timeframe to confirm the address by April 23.

Fast forward more than 5 months, and WS still hasn't done anything visible regarding this request. If this was intended to be a longer term project, you shouldn't be putting such a short fuse on asking your customers to respond and then explicitly setting up the expectation that they'd be receiving the packages in the spring.

If you're trying to woo over top tier members from AC, this clearly isn't doing it.

From the original e-mail on April 19:

---------

You've got some perks coming. Do we have the right address?

New Gold vouchers coming your way. Please confirm your mailing address by April 23.

Great news for our valued Gold members: this spring, you can expect a package in the mail from us (yes, we're kickin' it old school) containing some exciting new travel vouchers. To ensure you don't miss out, please take a moment now to confirm that the address below is current and complete.

If everything is in order, great – no further action is required. However, if the information is no longer current or is incomplete (or appearing as blank because we do not have your mailing address), please sign in to your account by April 23 to update your mailing information, including postal/zip code and country.
Action required by: April 23, 2015
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE
No news here, either.

This was a bit more of a longer-term project - we've still got a bit to do on our end. Let's not all go racing to the mailbox each day, and just let our small gesture be a surprise and put a little smile on your face when it does arrive.
Sorry, but if this was a "longer term project", why did you give people 4 days to respond and tell them that they'd be getting something in their mailbox in the spring?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
Perfectly stated gcashin

Westjet is trying to market to the business traveller as evidenced by the website marketing, Plus fare changes (which are a failure in my opinion), and the most recent tier matching offers to get more Gold tier travellers that of course fly more.

They are failing on all fronts for the business traveller I feel however. The new Plus fare structure is way out of line with the product provided and most of the Plus perks are negated by fact that tier travellers have those perks already. The Gold tier benefits are weak, which WS seems to acknowledge through the email discussed in this thread, but here we are half a year later with nothing done.

Only 8 seat vouchers and 14 lounge vouchers a year? How many flights does it take to hit Gold? A lot more than that I'd expect. I went out and bought a lounge membership instead, money I wouldn't spend through an AC tier benefit of MLL access.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Seems this would be a great waste of money if sent out now that the year's into its final quarter. There must be thousands of Golds who took up the status match but who've never flown WS, or only flown a couple of times and won't requalify. Sending them full kits would be foolish if they contain anything more than an upgrade voucher and even an elite card. And the former could be sent by email like the others we received, while WS should just set up a virtual card that can be stored in Apple's Passport file, or similar Android app.

Maybe with a consumer-focused President (former Canadian Tire exec) marketing will be improved. (Not sure who was responsible for the viral web campaigns at Christmas, but that innovation has not been reflected in other marketing initiatives.) I would have expected the mailed package to be timed to be received in the first week of September and focus on the new Plus service and any other enhancements for business travelers.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Plus one date with your choice of flight attendant.
What else comes with this one date?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I don't think bag tags are ever a waste of money. It's free advertising for the airlines, and actually keeps customers loyal, like a physical membership card. I'm actually shocked how airlines would scrooge at mailing elite packs but spend thousands on worthless advertisements. I'm looking at you, United.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
They're on the way!

I just got off the line with WestJet (changing a flight) and while we were talking she mentioned a Gold member package I would be receiving shortly. I of course rolled my eyes, chuckled ever so lightly, and said okay sure, but when? I'm told they were sent out late last week and we should all be receiving them shortly. I'm toild the internal memo regarding the packages was sent out on Oct.4 (or was it Oct.9th...).

Knowing how curious most of us are, I pressed to see if she could share any details. She was able to share what they called the "main" items that we'll be receiving, which are:
- 4 PLUS Fare Upgrade Vouchers
- Personalized Baggage Tags
- Personalized letter

I'm sure there was a fourth, but I'm blanking out now... will edit if I recal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.