Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Buying versus not buying a seat assignment ahead of time

Buying versus not buying a seat assignment ahead of time

Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:16 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Question Buying versus not buying a seat assignment ahead of time

On WestJet, there is an extra charge for seat assignments. Some questions specific to WestJet:

1. Is there an increased risk of involuntary denied boarding if you do not have a pre-purchased seat assignment?

2. If you do not have a pre-purchased seat assignment and check in on-line approximately 24 hours before flight time, what kind of seats are typically available, and do you get a choice?

Assume flight between Canada and the US, and you are a member of the WestJet frequent flyer program with no status.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by tjl
1. Is there an increased risk of involuntary denied boarding if you do not have a pre-purchased seat assignment?

2. If you do not have a pre-purchased seat assignment and check in on-line approximately 24 hours before flight time, what kind of seats are typically available, and do you get a choice?.
1 - I'm quite confident WestJet doesn't oversell seats. I've never seen anyone bumped on any of my flights.
2- Exit row will be gone probably, but at the24hr online check in you'll still have a ton of choice. Most people still check in at the airport.

No real difference on travel to the U.S. in my experience
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by tjl
On WestJet, there is an extra charge for seat assignments. Some questions specific to WestJet:

2. If you do not have a pre-purchased seat assignment and check in on-line approximately 24 hours before flight time, what kind of seats are typically available, and do you get a choice?

Assume flight between Canada and the US, and you are a member of the WestJet frequent flyer program with no status.
1) Westjet doesn't oversell their flights so you won't be IDBed.

2) I don't think most people pay for their seats in advance so if you check-in as close to the 24 hour mark you should be able to find a good spot. I flew YYC-SAN and I did pay for my seat selection but the flight wasn't full and I had an empty middle seat beside me - exit row too. I checked myself and three friends in without pre-purchased seat selections and I was able to find two empty rows together.

All seats will be open to you at check-in except the first three rows which are Plus seating. They still comes with a fee (you get advanced boarding and a free drink/sandwich though).

I don't think status comes into play with seat selection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.