Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WS RBC Mastercard: $99-$399 companion flight includes UK/Ireland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

The Westjet RBC Mastercard comes with an "annual round-trip companion flight for $99 on a WestJet marketed and operated flight".

Is "Plus" fare class seating eligible for this too? (Ie if the fully paid ticket is a Plus fare, does the $99 companion seat get Plus too??)
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
The Westjet RBC Mastercard comes with an "annual round-trip companion flight for $99 on a WestJet marketed and operated flight".

Is "Plus" fare class seating eligible for this too? (Ie if the fully paid ticket is a Plus fare, does the $99 companion seat get Plus too??)
I booked one of these companion flights last summer in Plus and the companion seat received the Plus too. Made it an even better value.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:47 am

I booked a PLUS Seat companion fare last month.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Was dissapointed that Hawaii...

...was not included in this offer.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Anyone know how the $99 companion flight works?

Specifically, does your ticket need be booked during your calendar year based on anniversary date?

ex: If I sign up for the card July 2015, and sometime in 2016 (prior to July) book a companion flight for Sept 2016, can I use the bonus on this? Or does the flight have to occur during your "year"?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by coleworld
Anyone know how the $99 companion flight works?

Specifically, does your ticket need be booked during your calendar year based on anniversary date?

ex: If I sign up for the card July 2015, and sometime in 2016 (prior to July) book a companion flight for Sept 2016, can I use the bonus on this? Or does the flight have to occur during your "year"?
Your voucher is valid for 12 months and expires on your anniversary date. As long as you book your ticket before the expiry date, it can be used for travel beyond that date. So in your example, you can book it as you described. Also, if you still have your card on the anniversary date, you will receive a new voucher that will be valid for another year.

I have used this voucher three times now and have found it to be a worthwhile benefit.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by Jono
Your voucher is valid for 12 months and expires on your anniversary date. As long as you book your ticket before the expiry date, it can be used for travel beyond that date. So in your example, you can book it as you described. Also, if you still have your card on the anniversary date, you will receive a new voucher that will be valid for another year.

I have used this voucher three times now and have found it to be a worthwhile benefit.
Thanks, I was hoping this was the case.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AC, WS, DL, Marriott Silver
Are the "new" Plus seats eligible for the companion voucher?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by screw2000
Are the "new" Plus seats eligible for the companion voucher?
It worked for me. I just checked out the available flight options with plus seats before calling up.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:19 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
There is no set fare or dollar value for the redemption when you qualify to receive a $99 round-trip companion flight. The cardholder and companion flights are booked together and the base fare for the companion flight is reduced to $99 regardless of the total cost (excluding taxes, fees and charges). Applicable taxes, fees and charges for the companion are the responsibility of the cardholder.

Happy Plus-ing!
Darren
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question

I tried booking this reward last night through the WS contact centre. I discovered there are # t's & c's which were not clear (to me) when I signed up!

The most important one is I need to have used my RBC M/C and had one or more payment cycles before I was eligible. According to the agent, they need to be notified by RBC that I have met this condition. In my case, that means I won't be eligible to book a companion ticket until at least December! Who knew?

The agent also advised that the companion fare only applies on WS metal. Not sure what that means (yet) because many WS flights to the US begin with a WS segment & are then code shared (AA, Delta) e.g. YYZ-LGA-PIT. Perhaps Darren can clarify?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I tried booking this reward last night through the WS contact centre. I discovered there are # t's & c's which were not clear (to me) when I signed up!

The most important one is I need to have used my RBC M/C and had one or more payment cycles before I was eligible. According to the agent, they need to be notified by RBC that I have met this condition. In my case, that means I won't be eligible to book a companion ticket until at least December! Who knew?

The agent also advised that the companion fare only applies on WS metal. Not sure what that means (yet) because many WS flights to the US begin with a WS segment & are then code shared (AA, Delta) e.g. YYZ-LGA-PIT. Perhaps Darren can clarify?
It means that anything that is codeshared that is not operated by Westjet is not eligible. ie you would have to be on a Westjet plane the whole trip.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:48 am

It also sounds to me that if you ever close this card that you will never be eligible for a companion fare again (if reapplying for card at a later date). Am I reading this correctly??
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

The lead-in sentence on the card page on RBC states:

"an annual round-trip companion flight for $99 with your first purchase"

The full t's & c's available at the same webpage state:
"... please allow 4-6 weeks after the first purchase transaction date for the .. and for the welcome $99 round-trip companion flight voucher (the "Flight Voucher") to appear on your WestJet account"....

The Flight Voucher is valid for travel anytime on all published eligible fares anywhere in Canada and the continental U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Puerto Rico) on flights marketed and operated by WestJet,"
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
It also sounds to me that if you ever close this card that you will never be eligible for a companion fare again (if reapplying for card at a later date). Am I reading this correctly??
So far, "new" (with regard to bonus eligibility) means not "existing" Westjet card holders as opposed to "previous" card holders. You get a companion fare every year with this card; the $250 Westjet dollar bonus is for new cardholders only. I've received the bonus twice after switching cards to Avion Visa and eventually back to Westjet mastercard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.