Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet announces reciprocal frequent flyer agreement with Delta Air Lines

Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Now earn WestJet dollars on Delta

CALGARY , Dec. 11, 2014 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced a reciprocal frequent flyer agreement with Delta Air Lines, a code-share partner with WestJet since 2012.

The agreement allows WestJet Rewards members to earn WestJet dollars on flights marketed and operated by Delta Air Lines, with access to Delta's extensive global network of more than 300 destinations on six continents.

"Our agreement with Delta Air Lines offers yet another great benefit to being a part of WestJet Rewards," said Marshall Wilmot , WestJet Vice-President, Product and Distribution. "The program is growing in scope and recognition with the recent introduction of Teal, Silver and Gold tiers and the success of the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard, recently voted Canada's top airline travel rewards card by Canadian consumers and MoneySense magazine for the second consecutive year. We will continue to look for ways to further expand the program to offer members even more benefits in the future."

In addition to the new accrual agreement, WestJet now also offers WestJet Rewards members the ability to use WestJet dollars on all code-share flights marketed by WestJet and operated by Delta. The two airlines will continue to work together to expand their relationship even further, including the introduction of full reciprocal redemption in the coming year that will allow members to redeem for destinations beyond WestJet's current network.

WestJet is the only national airline in Canada that still owns and operates its rewards program, offering members direct and immediate access to flights and vacation packages for travel on any date without any restrictions or blackout periods. Please visit westjet.com/rewards for more information.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by HangTen
Now earn WestJet dollars on Delta

CALGARY , Dec. 11, 2014 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced a reciprocal frequent flyer agreement with Delta Air Lines, a code-share partner with WestJet since 2012.

The agreement allows WestJet Rewards members to earn WestJet dollars on flights marketed and operated by Delta Air Lines, with access to Delta's extensive global network of more than 300 destinations on six continents.

"Our agreement with Delta Air Lines offers yet another great benefit to being a part of WestJet Rewards," said Marshall Wilmot , WestJet Vice-President, Product and Distribution. "The program is growing in scope and recognition with the recent introduction of Teal, Silver and Gold tiers and the success of the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard, recently voted Canada's top airline travel rewards card by Canadian consumers and MoneySense magazine for the second consecutive year. We will continue to look for ways to further expand the program to offer members even more benefits in the future."

In addition to the new accrual agreement, WestJet now also offers WestJet Rewards members the ability to use WestJet dollars on all code-share flights marketed by WestJet and operated by Delta. The two airlines will continue to work together to expand their relationship even further, including the introduction of full reciprocal redemption in the coming year that will allow members to redeem for destinations beyond WestJet's current network.

WestJet is the only national airline in Canada that still owns and operates its rewards program, offering members direct and immediate access to flights and vacation packages for travel on any date without any restrictions or blackout periods. Please visit westjet.com/rewards for more information.

Useless!

Got the e-mail from Delta. No WS miles count towards PQM regardless on fare bucket. No reciprocity for status on either airline. So why bother. Besides AAdvantage members have had the same deal for years, and passengers with status avoid the code shares like the plague. Now if WS joined Sky Team as a full member with all the benefits, that would be something to crow about.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat,
so can I use my delta points to redeem westjet flight now?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:36 pm

I would say no. I only see a note about earning.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s/westjet.html

Frequent Flyer Benefits
The partnership offers additional benefit to customers in each carrier’s frequent flyer program.

Delta SkyMiles members and WestJet Rewards members are able to earn miles or WestJet dollars on all mutually codeshared flights throughout their respective networks.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just. Join. An. Alliance. Already.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1. I'm still lurking the WS forums for a reason...
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:42 am

On one of the boarding area blogs it was stated that you could use Delta miles to book westjet - but I haven't seen that in the statements
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1 for me too.

They are so close to having an FFP that's worthwhile.

I'm happy with my gold status match, but the scope of the program - so far - sadly just isn't enough to keep me away from the Other Guys. It's better than nothing, but I'm finding that WestJet's program isn't turning out to be "the" deciding factor in any of my travel decisions yet.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
+1 for me too.

They are so close to having an FFP that's worthwhile.

I'm happy with my gold status match, but the scope of the program - so far - sadly just isn't enough to keep me away from the Other Guys. It's better than nothing, but I'm finding that WestJet's program isn't turning out to be "the" deciding factor in any of my travel decisions yet.
WestJet is still a long ways off from FFP that is worthwhile, IMHO.

The current DL agreement is a good example:
- No acceptance of the other guys status.
- Earn max $15 WestJet Rewards Dollars for flying half way around the world in DL front cabin. Quite the enhancement.
- No bag fee waiver on the other guy.
- SkyPesos only, no status accrual when flying WS.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:18 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Is this really much of a benefit, especially with Dulltah's devalued Sky Miles program?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by yul36
Useless!
Now if WS joined Sky Team as a full member with all the benefits, that would be something to crow about.
Given DL tiers its alliance partners joining ST might be a wet petard. After all, KE is full alliance partner in ST but KE flights earn no SM.

WS would have to enter some sort of JV with DL itself, or DL would have to invest in WS for this to be worth anything; that aint happenin any time soon.

DL and WS might enter in some strategic plays, duplicating YYZ-LGA between other select city pairs (YVR-LAX for instance) but otherwise most of WS network adds little value to the DL network.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Is this really much of a benefit, especially with Dulltah's devalued Sky Miles program?
Still beats being sentenced to flying on AC.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Still beats being sentenced to flying on AC.
A bit melodramatic, no? It's still a choice that you (and I) are making to still fly AC
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
A bit melodramatic, no? It's still a choice that you (and I) are making to still fly AC
In some markets the choice is rather limited.

The combos WS+DL or WS+AF/KL are generally better than AC+partners if one does not care about status privileges and willing to put up with more and/or longer layovers.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
But I don't still fly AC. I have not been a revenue passenger on an Air Canada flight in two years, after I came to realize that - for my travel patterns at least - a number of much more attractive options exist. Westjet is invariably less expensive for domestic travel, and Delta and their Skyteam partners have been unbeatable for my transborder and overseas trips. The new partnership between Westjet and Delta is just the icing on the cake.

The only flights I have made with AC since a YYZ-GRU turn in January 2013 have been Errorplan redemptions, as I attempt to burn off my remaining points. And to be honest, Errorplan's dodgy availability and scandalous surcharges have made that a challenge in itself. For example, AC wants 60,000 points plus $740 cash for me to redeem on a YYZ-AMS return flight in Y, with a requisite connection each way. Or I can just buy a Y seat on a direct KLM flight for $845 incl. taxes, and turn a 12-hour trip into a seven-hour one.

Which would you do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.