Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Avoid Westjet at YQB/"remote" outposts

Avoid Westjet at YQB/"remote" outposts

Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by industry_killer
Par for the course for WS. They believe their crap doesn't stink, just because their name isn't Air Canada.
Generally speaking everyone's does stink and yes, WS' stinks much less compared to AC - it's not even close.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by YYCfasha
Generally speaking everyone's does stink and yes, WS' stinks much less compared to AC - it's not even close.
We will agree to disagree. I find WS much worse than AC and far more useless in IROPs than AC. People give WS far more passes than AC because of the perceived "western" warmness that WS supposedly promotes. Just because someone is nice when they are useless doesn't not make them useless and WS is useless a lot more than AC.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
My problem isn't that they didn't pay for meals or accommodations. My problem is that they had no one at the airport to help rebook customers/answer questions - and only offered to rebook me 2 days later, when the weather issue was resolved within a few hours.
To me this is the issue - not having staff on site to manage the situation is inexcusable, handing out business cards isn't the answer.

Darren from WS, what is your take on the OP's experience?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Extremely well articulated, industry_killer. couldn't agree with you more
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Airlines should be obliged to pay for meal and hotel stay in cases of delays or cancellations due to weather
Ya right, like they caused it ... Get real
Pay for insurance.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by industry_killer
We will agree to disagree. I find WS much worse than AC and far more useless in IROPs than AC. People give WS far more passes than AC because of the perceived "western" warmness that WS supposedly promotes. Just because someone is nice when they are useless doesn't not make them useless and WS is useless a lot more than AC.
I suppose you and I will also have to agree to disagree. I began flying WestJet after growing tired of Air Canada's continual bungling and the consistently snotty attitude of its agents. My experience has been the polar opposite of yours.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:18 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Our flight from YQB to YYZ was cancelled last evening due to weather. There was absolutely no one from customer service or ticketing at YQB to help passengers once we were offloaded. We were simply given a Westjet business card and told to deal with reservations on our own. By the time we were able to get through, they only had space remaining on a flight 2 days later. Westjet is all fun and games until IROPS and then they disappear. Avoid them at all costs, especially going to locations where they have sparse coverage. Pathetic.
Hi folks,
We are sorry that this happened to our guest. It's quite difficult dealing with irregular operations (or IROPs) on a route that only has one flight each day (watch for double daily service coming soon).

In times when the most-obvious plan of action seems like a terrible experience for our guests, we'll often buy some time by sending our guests on their way with a business card that lists our phone number - no point in keeping guests sitting around in the terminal waiting for news to "come back tomorrow." That gives us a few hours to look into other options for our guests (usually, the feasibility of recovery flights). We'd hate to, under pressure, put a guest on the next scheduled flight the following evening, only to open up a new flight the next morning. Once our head office Guest Solutions team works out the quickest possible way to get everyone to their destination, will we open up the phone lines and pass this information on.

Unfortunately in this situation, it sounds like even with the borrowed time by not having guests sit around in the terminal, we still weren't able to find a quick way to get all guests to their destination.

To the original poster, please accept our apologies for this very rare turn of events. We know it's frustrating to be grounded somewhere when you have other places you need and want to be. We hope to welcome you on board again soon.

Cheers,
Darren
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Darren. I do appreciate that you have taken the time to carefully consider and respond to my posting (at the request of another FT member). Unfortunately, your explanation for Westjet's behaviour simply serves as a justification for me to choose Air Canada for my frequent YTO-YQB trips, which has better coverage on this route - and more customer service agents at YQB. While Westjet may have its benefits on other routes (esp. better chance of snagging free exit row seats at check in), it simply can't compete on a route with 1-2 flights/day, as compared to AC's 5-6/day + options of retorting via YUL in the case of irregular operations. I caution business travellers against WestJet and Porter at YQB - and at other sparsely served airports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.