Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Here is what I would like to see WS improve before I consider a status match.

(1) flex fares have complementary standard seat selection.
(2) WS enters into more outbound codeshare arrangements.
(3) hot meals onboard. Even if a buy on board option.
(4) if not entering into a global alliance, then take AS Approach and have reciprocal benefit in a few airlines that include status miles earning on WS.
#3 requires a significant 737 reconfiguration, non are currently fitted with ovens and there is no space available in the galleys to just retrofit them.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SE - AB Platinum
Well I'm a SuperElite who has been flying AC sort of blindly for a while. But I have flown WestJet and I think you're a great airline. The key for me a worldwide traveller in the past has been convenience and consistency with the one airline.

The new devaluations mean I can no longer justify AC on all flights. I understand them and I'm certainly not running away to another partner "because they're not Air Canada), but the incentive to do so for me is not there. I've status matched with a OneWorld airline, will maintain *Gold with AC and have status matched with you too. I'll be seeking value propositions throughout the world and will be mixing my travel up.

I hope that's good for WestJet too, it's liberating to have all these options open.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by catarina
Please. Let's not wreck WJ by trying to turn it into another AC.
Exactly. What's there now works. Let's not mess it up.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Exactly. What's there now works. Let's not mess it up.
+1

The type of person that flies WestJet may do so because everyone is treated equally. Now that they have introduced statuses and are attracting the AC fliers, let's see if there is any backlash to those that are more equal than others.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kevy_boy
+1

The type of person that flies WestJet may do so because everyone is treated equally. Now that they have introduced statuses and are attracting the AC fliers, let's see if there is any backlash to those that are more equal than others.
DYKWIA?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
There was an outcry when Plus seats were introduced. Passengers were used to being able to change seats after boarding was complete and were quite upset when told they could not sit in the Plus section without paying the upgrade fee.

Same with the priority boarding for Plus, and the overhead bins are actually reserved for Plus passengers. I've seen a not so happy passenger being told those overhead bins are only for passengers in the Plus section.

What would really be more noticeable though, would be priority lines at check-in. And that is why I do not think we will see those. But I've been wrong before

+1

Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by catarina
There was an outcry when Plus seats were introduced. Passengers were used to being able to change seats after boarding was complete and were quite upset when told they could not sit in the Plus section without paying the upgrade fee.

Same with the priority boarding for Plus, and the overhead bins are actually reserved for Plus passengers. I've seen a not so happy passenger being told those overhead bins are only for passengers in the Plus section.

What would really be more noticeable though, would be priority lines at check-in. And that is why I do not think we will see those. But I've been wrong before
WestJet will need to evaluate what they want to be as a company. If they decide to mimic a legacy airline to attract AC's customers then they may push away their established customer base.

Not to mention that eventually they will face the same problems as AC.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
WestJet will need to evaluate what they want to be as a company. If they decide to mimic a legacy airline to attract AC's customers then they may push away their established customer base.

Not to mention that eventually they will face the same problems as AC.
Exactly. For years, WS promised no class system, no priority, everyone being equal. That's why I never even blinked to go on WS. If you spend once a year on an airplane, kindly, gtfo. And that's what WS has always catered to.

Now with plus, with priority services, I'm going to guess that WS now has a product that is "close to" taking away AC's businses. WS has something unique here. At the end of the day, a repeat customer who spends $XX,XXX per year should be worth more to them than mom and pop and their baby. I think they started to recognize that and their shareholders demand more profit. A great way to enter this is to bite your own words and to start a two tier system.

We will see what the future holds.^
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Count me out of star alliance

Originally Posted by Shareholder
While I sympathize with AC SEs who now want in at WS, your demands for status matches and benefits that don't even exist for long time WS fliers are pretty audacious! WS doesn't have lounges (though offers a deal with Plaza Premium) so if you want lounge access for every trip, buy a Priority Pass or get the regular AmexPlatinum card for the Plaza Premium and Chinook lounges. As for upgrades, it's not like the seats in front on WS are anywhere close to the product AC offers in J...forget about meals and decent wines. Not to knock WS's product...it is what it is and what it is intended to be: a more roomy seat with a couple of free drinks to keep the premium CX, AF, BA feeder traffic happy.

When it comes to a FF program, the "enhancements" you'd want would cost WS too much money and undermine their business plan in this realm. You're not going to get F seats on AF or BA from a WS FF program.

WS has a good product for what it is, and it appeals to a large portion of the Canadian public. But I am not sure it will satisfy many SEs.
You miss the FACT that AC is trying to get rid of customers who are forced to fly with other *A 'partners'. I'll still fly over 100,000 miles but now with WestJet/KLM. I don't need business seats to Toronto or Montreal from YYT and KLM has great business class LMU's for a very reasonable cost. I can use the money I save buying those. As well, no more 14 Eup's for a crappy little seat on a 319 for a 5 hour trip across the pond and no more Heathrow.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
My hope is that the future is not as dreary as it appears. I think with WS ramping up their FF program, they will offer a perfectly good alternative program to AC's, particularly for domestic flyers but eventually for international travelers as they roll out more international (TPAC/TATL) routes. I am certain too that one day WS will join an alliance. As Canada grows, so will our FF choices

So penguin, have you made up your mind yet or do you need more time given some of AC's recently announced roll backs?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
So penguin, have you made up your mind yet or do you need more time given some of AC's recently announced roll backs?
Just woke up. I'll crunch the #'s today and will report back
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
WestJet will need to evaluate what they want to be as a company.
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Exactly. For years, WS promised no class system, no priority, everyone being equal. That's why I never even blinked to go on WS. If you spend once a year on an airplane, kindly, gtfo. And that's what WS has always catered to.

Now with plus, with priority services, I'm going to guess that WS now has a product that is "close to" taking away AC's businses. WS has something unique here. At the end of the day, a repeat customer who spends $XX,XXX per year should be worth more to them than mom and pop and their baby. I think they started to recognize that and their shareholders demand more profit. A great way to enter this is to bite your own words and to start a two tier system.

I believe Westjet has seen its passenger base change over the years, as more and more companies have mandated employees choose the least expensive travel options. At least for domestic travel, the least expensive option is almost always Westjet. I know a number of corporate travelers who haven't set foot on an AC plane in 4 or 5 years because of these policies. So where Westjet may once catered primarily to leisure travelers, because of changing corporate travel policies these days, business travelers might now represent a greater proportion of their overall volumes.

We've seen Westjet respond to this, by improving its service in the YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle, for example, and by implementing additional route/frequency changes. Plus seats, and its new FF program, simply represent the next steps as it continues to adapt to evolving customer demand.

I just hope they don't try to be AC. CP and Canadian went that route, and we all know how that worked out.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:18 am
Suspended

News just in. Official.

You can choose to credit to WS dollars OR AA miles.

NOTE: You must credit to WS dollars in order to retire your $6k quota (aka to hit that limit). If you credit to AA, the money you spend will NOT go towards hitting your $6k quota.

PS - Thanks Darren from WS, you now know who I am in real life

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Nov 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
My hope is that the future is not as dreary as it appears. I think with WS ramping up their FF program, they will offer a perfectly good alternative program to AC's, particularly for domestic flyers but eventually for international travelers as they roll out more international (TPAC/TATL) routes. I am certain too that one day WS will join an alliance. As Canada grows, so will our FF choices

I've done the math. I am most likely sticking with AC (very reluctantly). The math and overall product is still marginally better at AC. Aeroscam has me by the proverbial balls. The final nail in the coffin is where E75K's board. - do I priority board with the SE100K's or do I board with the CC's. If with the CC's, I'll most likely be with WS. We'll see in December...

It was close. Maybe in a few days, or years, WS can entice me some more. A higher WS (currently 5%) redemption with upgrades to Plus and i'm there.

Keep in mind most elites currently already have constant access to Plus (preferred seating), so by going to WS I'd be back at 32", which is a net material loss for me. I do have to applaud WS for their quick response and to Darren for being on here!

PS. If I can get a receipt for a plus seat without it saying "Premium economy", i'd be a game changer. Please let me know if you implement this (imagine the corporate guys like me....I can't have it saying PE on the receipt. If it just says Y or fare bucket, I can get away with it
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Penguin: it is going to take me some time to crunch all the numbers. I honestly have to go back and double check my spend in 2014 to get an idea what my spend will be in 2015. I think I would be above $6,000, but I am not sure.

I had a feeling you would stick with AC and I will likely stick with AC too just because having benefits across the alliance is HUGE. My wife is from Indonesia so having gold benefits on SQ and NH is a HUGE benefit for us.

However, I think I need to try WS again as it was 2006 that I flew them last. Having the gold status will make that much more possible. I may buy an AC eastern/maritimes flight pass and then fly WS to at least Ontario and then segment run on AC via the flight pass (to keep my segments and *A gold). If I do that, then I can test out WS lounge, in-flight experience, etc. I really want to try something new and WS would be something new for me for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.