Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Originally Posted by jaysona
I have to agree, I find the WS seat cushion feels a little shorter than the AC economy class seat. No idea about the width though - I've never had anyone sitting next me to on a WS flight.
Load factors can't be that low that you've had no one sit next to you? Really? I'm not being sarcastic, I am just surprised.
I've only sat in the plus section of the cabin, I guess not many people pay for the upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:42 am

Jaysona, you have been very lucky. The Plus section is catching on, if not when the guests book their flight, but definitely in the airport at checkin/gate and/on the aircraft after boarding!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Jaysona, you have been very lucky. The Plus section is catching on, if not when the guests book their flight, but definitely in the airport at checkin/gate and/on the aircraft after boarding!
When I first started flying Plus, it was empty. I'd have the row to myself. Now, it is pretty much full. and when the AC folks switch over, good luck getting Plus at check-in. I've accepted that I'm going to have to purchase a Plus fare.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by YYCguy
My WS flights have only been within the east (YYZ/YUL/YOW/YHZ), so I suspect that may be part of the reason. My understanding is that WS is stronger out west and has better load factors, so that would make sense re: tighter availability for the Plus seats. I also seem to recall WS stating on more than one occasion that they were looking to increase their loads for some of the eastern cities, this maybe part of the reason why I have had such luck with empty rows in the Plus section of the cabin.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by jaysona
My WS flights have only been within the east (YYZ/YUL/YOW/YHZ), so I suspect that may be part of the reason. My understanding is that WS is stronger out west and has better load factors, so that would make sense re: tighter availability for the Plus seats. I also seem to recall WS stating on more than one occasion that they were looking to increase their loads for some of the eastern cities, this maybe part of the reason why I have had such luck with empty rows in the Plus section of the cabin.
Agreed.

Oddly enough, my flights to/from YEG/YYC have full Plus sections. The flight is only 1 or 1.5hrs, so really not a big deal. But on my YVR/YYZ 5 hr flight, I get my row to myself. And those are the flights where the extra $$'s are worth it.

My last flight I booked AC Premium Economy to test it out and I had a good corporate discount :-) And I had the row to myself. Not many flights have that service though, so WJ Plus is getting most of my $$'s this year.

I am really curious about the next announcement tomorrow. Apparently there is another goodie on the table.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

Waiting for tomorrow for sure to see what is announced.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
While I sympathize with AC SEs who now want in at WS, your demands for status matches and benefits that don't even exist for long time WS fliers are pretty audacious! WS doesn't have lounges (though offers a deal with Plaza Premium) so if you want lounge access for every trip, buy a Priority Pass or get the regular AmexPlatinum card for the Plaza Premium and Chinook lounges. As for upgrades, it's not like the seats in front on WS are anywhere close to the product AC offers in J...forget about meals and decent wines. Not to knock WS's product...it is what it is and what it is intended to be: a more roomy seat with a couple of free drinks to keep the premium CX, AF, BA feeder traffic happy.

When it comes to a FF program, the "enhancements" you'd want would cost WS too much money and undermine their business plan in this realm. You're not going to get F seats on AF or BA from a WS FF program.

WS has a good product for what it is, and it appeals to a large portion of the Canadian public. But I am not sure it will satisfy many SEs.
+1

Let's try to be realistic with our expectations. WS load factor is already 80-85% and they have been profitable for a long time with their business model. If I was running a similar business, I'm not sure I would want to implement a disruptive FF program to win over customers who have requirements that don't easily map into their product offering. There, I said it.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Looks like they jumped
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Looks like they jumped
Status Match and and easy challenge - they went for it all.

Not, what is not yet on the table is upgrades to Plus for Golds. The Westjet rep said they left that off "for now".
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:40 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Excellent! Submitted mine

My cousin works for WJ in YYZ, and has been trying to convince me to jump for the past few years - ever since I saw her in the Xmas video last year, she's been starting to make headway.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:41 am

Yep! Status match for current AC Elites (*A Gold) or AC Prestige (*A Silver) members. Or there is a fast track option:

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/rewards/get-gold.shtml

Last edited by capebretonboy; Oct 29, 2014 at 12:44 am Reason: Also available to Prestige 25K flyers
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:58 am

Only drawback I can think of is no WS lounge in YOW

That is one of the more frequent cities I fly in and out of....
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
AMEX Plat
+1. I'm surprised how many people on the AP (and other) boards are worried about missing lounge access, where most airports in Canada with an MLL have a PP-accessible lounge as well. For those jumping to US airlines (including AA via some travel on WJ to keep it on topic), a Priority pass from a Canadian Amex does work in lounges on both sides of the border, whereas a PP from a US based Amex does not always.

Great value for me at least.

Dr. PITUK

Edit: Just checked again - PP lounges only in YVR, YYZ, YYC, YUL, YQB, YEG.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Uh oh. Not what I want to hear. I think their seats are more narrow. The 737s are a slightly narrower fuselage as well which adds to the discomfort. This will be equalized when AC adds 737s to their fleet and 31" pitch.
I'd be inclined to consider the source. I'm pretty sure that even if there were SQ style first suites they would have been panned.

I'm almost as sure that Oakvillejetse didn't actually fly on WestJet. If he has, that would be seismic shift in its own right, and a bigger indication of trouble on AC's horizon than the current mega-thread.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Shareholder
While I sympathize with AC SEs who now want in at WS, your demands for status matches and benefits that don't even exist for long time WS fliers are pretty audacious! WS doesn't have lounges (though offers a deal with Plaza Premium) so if you want lounge access for every trip, buy a Priority Pass or get the regular AmexPlatinum card for the Plaza Premium and Chinook lounges. As for upgrades, it's not like the seats in front on WS are anywhere close to the product AC offers in J...forget about meals and decent wines. Not to knock WS's product...it is what it is and what it is intended to be: a more roomy seat with a couple of free drinks to keep the premium CX, AF, BA feeder traffic happy.

When it comes to a FF program, the "enhancements" you'd want would cost WS too much money and undermine their business plan in this realm. You're not going to get F seats on AF or BA from a WS FF program.

WS has a good product for what it is, and it appeals to a large portion of the Canadian public. But I am not sure it will satisfy many SEs.
Except this offer is not just targeted at SE's but ANY frequent flier who clocks more than 25K a year in a Canadian loyalty program. Very myopic analysis of who this promotion is targeted to. In addition, not every FFer is clamouring for upgrades. We should be applauding WJ in providing a more competitive landscape for Canadian FFers to chose from. This is long overdue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.