Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: SE, SPG Plat & Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Checking out the new Westjet rewards program, I am intrigued. I fly 100+ flights/year so 10 passes to the lounge would be difficult to get used to.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AgileMark
Checking out the new Westjet rewards program, I am intrigued. I fly 100+ flights/year so 10 passes to the lounge would be difficult to get used to.
AMEX Plat
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona
Having flights count towards status miles would go a long way for me! ^ I'm just not sure how much that would factor in to the operating costs for WS.

As for premium economy, I have always made my purchase at the check in kiosk and always say *a lot* of open seats, in many cases I was the only person seated in the premium economy section. So I'm not sure where the business incentive is to offer something that people aren't paying for.

Only time will tell I guess.
Hmm. Good to know. Is the food same as BOB? Can u order a special meal? Thanks Jaysona
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
While I sympathize with AC SEs who now want in at WS, your demands for status matches and benefits that don't even exist for long time WS fliers are pretty audacious! WS doesn't have lounges (though offers a deal with Plaza Premium) so if you want lounge access for every trip, buy a Priority Pass or get the regular AmexPlatinum card for the Plaza Premium and Chinook lounges. As for upgrades, it's not like the seats in front on WS are anywhere close to the product AC offers in J...forget about meals and decent wines. Not to knock WS's product...it is what it is and what it is intended to be: a more roomy seat with a couple of free drinks to keep the premium CX, AF, BA feeder traffic happy.

When it comes to a FF program, the "enhancements" you'd want would cost WS too much money and undermine their business plan in this realm. You're not going to get F seats on AF or BA from a WS FF program.

WS has a good product for what it is, and it appeals to a large portion of the Canadian public. But I am not sure it will satisfy many SEs.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by AgileMark
I rest my case.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by SFO777
According to seatguru.com,
WS 738: Y is 18.5" width seat and 31-33" pitch
WS 738: Y+ is 18.5" width seat and 36-39" pitch

Most of AC's Y seat width is 17.8"
Considering everybody else runs 737's with +/-17" seats, how exactly do you think WestJet manages to find 9 extra inches of width in the 737 airframe?

FWIW, I do not find the WS seat particularly comfortable. My impression is that compared to AC's 320's, the seat is narrower and the seat cushion is shorter.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: SE, SPG Plat & Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I rest my case.
I don't disagree with anything that you said. I am not trying to be "Elitist"

I am truly considering leaving AC and just trying to do some diligence before I do. I certainly don't expect J class and not particularly concerned, especially since upgrades on AC are pretty much a thing of the past. So I am focused on some of the remaining big things for me, which would include a quiet area to work in the lounge, and legroom.

I like the idea of the simplified rewards program based on cash rather than the mysteries of points that periodically get devalued.

I realize that Westjet can't handle my international travel, so I am trying to get a picture of what travel to Canada and US would be like wrt connections, price.

The other thing I am looking into is replacing my Aeroplan card. So I looked at the Westjet MC, but that doesn't give me the lounge access, which is why I made the comment. I'll check into Amex Platinum, but it means that my rewards are split into yet another program. If there was an Amex card for Westjet, that would be sweet.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Hmm. Good to know. Is the food same as BOB? Can u order a special meal? Thanks Jaysona
I have not ordered or eaten a meal on WS so I can't say.

My WS flights have been the result of AC equipment delays that forced me to make last a last minute purchase at the WS gate.

A couple of times I had to make the mad dash from T1 to T3 and make my purchase while on the link train.

Last edited by jaysona; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:47 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
FWIW, I do not find the WS seat particularly comfortable. My impression is that compared to AC's 320's, the seat is narrower and the seat cushion is shorter.
I have to agree, I find the WS seat cushion feels a little shorter than the AC economy class seat. No idea about the width though - I've never had anyone sitting next me to on a WS flight.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Prewrappedbacon
Personally, I'm hoping they join Skyteam... but either way, it'd be a good thing for all of us.
I would really love it if WS flights could be credited to AS MP, I have three active FF accounts and would really like to get that down to two.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Tried Westjet today. Not the answer. Seats to close together, no J class(their plus seats not as good as Rouge plus), no MLL. Liked the live TV
Were you in the Plus section? I have flown only in Plus for the last 3 years and could not go back to regular economy. I usually have the front bulkhead row and there is LOTS of room. Not quite as nice as AC Premium Economy, but more food included in your fare.

C
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by sokolov
Did he just say it "will" instead of it "would"? :-)
Yes, indeed he did!

I think it is status matching...

Last edited by capebretonboy; Oct 27, 2014 at 11:11 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
I have to agree, I find the WS seat cushion feels a little shorter than the AC economy class seat. No idea about the width though - I've never had anyone sitting next me to on a WS flight.
Load factors can't be that low that you've had no one sit next to you? Really? I'm not being sarcastic, I am just surprised.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by WestJet
We've been working on improving our schedule for a few years now. WestJet Encore has been helping with this (not only by offering more frequencies and O&D's, but by freeing up short-haul 737s to add additional service on longer routes).

Not quite *that* interesting, but it will address one of the most frequent wishes on this thread.

We're around! How can we help?

Have they? There's one more nice little addition that we have up our sleeve.

WestJet Rewards Gold members will have access to priority security (where available), and advance boarding on all flights.

Cheers,
Darren

Darren, thank you very much for the post. You definitely have me intrigued and I will be watching for the announcement on October 29.

Just some feedback for you, most of it I am sure your marketing research has long since told you:

1. It's hard to win over AC FF members, especially once they have a taste of Star Alliance elite benefits (you know that). If WS was to join an alliance that may help, but I know your business plan for now is simply partnerships/interline agreements. There's something though about having gold status across an alliance....the customer definitely feels more connected to the world especially if they travel outside domestic itineraries. It also makes the entire airport and airline experience considerably more comfortable.

2. AC is a reputable company, very professional and they usually treat me very well; however, there have been times when they have treated me horribly; almost with contempt. Funny, although I have not flown with WS since 2006, I can almost guarantee I would never be treated poorly by WS. Perhaps there's something for WS to exploit there with the proper mix of FF incentives. A lot of AC FFs would love to be presented with a good reason to leave.

3. It would be tough for me to contemplate switching to WS due to both the hard product and the schedule. I don't find the 737s in general or your leather/pleather seats in particular to be all that comfortable. Again, though, I have not flown with you guys since 2006 so I have not been exposed to any cabin changes you may have made. Also, WS simply does not have the same frequency and overall fleet size to go toe-to-toe with AC. This is a big drawback. I know Encore is helping with that (for example, I'm hoping YQY will be year round one day!) That said, I know WS cannot go back to the days when Canadians saw AC and Canadian have the same routes departing within minutes of each other...that is simply not sustainable in Canada.

I need throw all that out there just to get it off my chest. There is definitely a subset of frequent flyer such as myself who simply wants to be comfortable when I fly. That does not mean business class upgrades, so the fact that WS does not have a business class isnt too much of a concern (but hopefully you are still seriously contemplating it). Between personal and business flying, I probably would generate about $7000-$9,000 in fare revenue for an airline. It's not much, but it must be more than your average Canadian traveler. In return for that business, all I want is, again, comfort: priority everything (check in, security, boarding, baggage), some additional complimentary check baggage thrown in, access to a priority reservation line, easier or advance access to seats with a little more leg room than your standard 31 inch pitch (which I hate) and lounge access. Oh, and to be treated with respect and like my loyalty is recognized and appreciated. I am sure I represent a considerable number of AC Elites who aren't necessarily fixated on upgrades to J-class. Sure, upgrades are nice, but theyre going the way of the dodo bird. I am certain that I must represent a market niche that WS could somehow exploit.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
October 29th "Extra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus320 View Post
WestJet to join OW ?
Not quite *that* interesting, but it will address one of the most frequent wishes on this thread.

So that would be Upgrade to Plus for Gold Members or Status Matching, perhaps?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.