Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The door is open - will Westjet jump at the chance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fisch
There will be something to interest some of you on 29OCT
Originally Posted by airbus320
WestJet to join OW ?
If WS pulled the trigger and joined OW, that would be seismic shift in the landscape. And a major uh-oh for AC. Would be great to see.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
Personally, I'm hoping they join Skyteam... but either way, it'd be a good thing for all of us.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by SFO777
If WS pulled the trigger and joined OW, that would be seismic shift in the landscape. And a major uh-oh for AC. Would be great to see.
+1 +1 +1
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by Prewrappedbacon
Personally, I'm hoping they join Skyteam... but either way, it'd be a good thing for all of us.
I hope they join one of them, I am open to either. Still trying to decide between DL, AA, and UA
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
A full-fledged FFP, thinking of joining an alliance, widebody aircraft...

I guess you either die a Jetsgo or live long enough to see yourself become Air Canada.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Tried Westjet today. Not the answer. Seats to close together, no J class(their plus seats not as good as Rouge plus), no MLL. Liked the live TV
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Tried Westjet today. Not the answer. Seats to close together, no J class(their plus seats not as good as Rouge plus), no MLL. Liked the live TV
Uh oh. Not what I want to hear. I think their seats are more narrow. The 737s are a slightly narrower fuselage as well which adds to the discomfort. This will be equalized when AC adds 737s to their fleet and 31" pitch.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Uh oh. Not what I want to hear. I think their seats are more narrow. The 737s are a slightly narrower fuselage as well which adds to the discomfort.
According to seatguru.com,
WS 738: Y is 18.5" width seat and 31-33" pitch
WS 738: Y+ is 18.5" width seat and 36-39" pitch

Most of AC's Y seat width is 17.8"
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:27 am

Liked the live TV
Inseat entertainment is being phased out. You will have to bring your own device. I'm not familiar with the fee structure.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
To answer a lot of questions, yes this board is normally a lot quieter than the AC board. That's mainly because people who fly on Westjet are genuinely happy. If you go on the Aeroplan board and eliminate the hundreds of threads each year where someone is livid about this or furious about that, you'll find there aren't many threads left. It's quieter here because happy customers don't need to vent.

There are a lot of former AC fliers here. And yes, there are Westjet company reps who read this board and occasionally post helpful input. But it's not like the AC board. Here, you will not find company reps referring to their customers as somehow "cheapening the experience" or suggesting they're a bunch of charity cases -- as remains the case on the AC board. Westjet seems to actually value its customers, and treat them with respect. Fancy that.

For those looking for a status match and upgrades, understand there is no front cabin to upgrade to. We're talking a couple rows of seats at the front of the only cabin. And sadly, no airline alliance at this point.

But for people who are tired of being hoodwinked into paying more for nothing, or who just want to be treated like a customer, this is a nice alternative.

Apart from the sudden influx of people looking to flee AC, you don't hear a lot of complaining, do you?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
I tend to do most of my WestJet whining on twitter - otherwise I would have been in here griping about how I could set my watch to the 30-minute delay WS 444 had leaving YEG.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:14 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
I think I'm considering a switch as well. Started looking at the schedules of the flights I want and it's not as bad as I thought.
We've been working on improving our schedule for a few years now. WestJet Encore has been helping with this (not only by offering more frequencies and O&D's, but by freeing up short-haul 737s to add additional service on longer routes).

Originally Posted by airbus320
WestJet to join OW ?
Not quite *that* interesting, but it will address one of the most frequent wishes on this thread.

Is there an official Westjet Flyertalk representative? If so, I have some questions about their plans for their frequent flyer program.
We're around! How can we help?

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
That is the same date as their new program rolls out. But announcements pertaining to that have already happened.
Have they? There's one more nice little addition that we have up our sleeve.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
+1. Same here. Boarding is a big thing for me. SE100K's will out do us 75K's in zonal boarding. Hence why i'm thinking of WJ.
WestJet Rewards Gold members will have access to priority security (where available), and advance boarding on all flights.

Cheers,
Darren
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by WestJet
Not quite *that* interesting, but it will address one of the most frequent wishes on this thread.
Did he just say it "will" instead of it "would"? :-)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WestJet
We've been working on improving our schedule for a few years now. WestJet Encore has been helping with this (not only by offering more frequencies and O&D's, but by freeing up short-haul 737s to add additional service on longer routes).

We're around! How can we help?

Have they? There's one more nice little addition that we have up our sleeve.

WestJet Rewards Gold members will have access to priority security (where available), and advance boarding on all flights.

Cheers,
Darren
Thanks Darren. Are we able to status match? That'll go a LONG way to jumping to WJ...Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by The Lev
  • Negotiate with Delta and/or American to have WestJet miles flown count as status miles in their programs
  • Tweak the WestJet program to offer free upgrades to the "premium" section to top tier members - on a space available basis and one confirmed for every $x of spend

Thoughts?
Having flights count towards status miles would go a long way for me! ^ I'm just not sure how much that would factor in to the operating costs for WS.

As for premium economy, I have always made my purchase at the check in kiosk and always see *a lot* of open seats, in many cases I was the only person seated in the premium economy section. So I'm not sure where the business incentive is to offer something that people aren't paying for.

Only time will tell I guess.

Last edited by jaysona; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.