Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I achieve Westjet Gold status and still earn AA RDMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Hi,

sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to the Westjet program and amd trying to get up to speed due to the recent changes by AC to their Altitude program. I'm nothing close to a SE, but can easily get Gold status on Westjet.

My question is if I can also credit my flights to AA in order to get AAAdvantage miles.

Looking at the definition of qualifying spend:
Qualifying flight spend includes all purchases on WestJet-marketed flights flown in the qualifying year. WestJet Vacations packages, partner-marketed flights, partner bookings made on westjet.com, taxes, fees and charges are not eligible toward qualifying flight spend.

So, for example, if I book my flight through Westjet.com can I simply provide my AA# at time of booking and get both the $ spend credit and some AA miles?

Getting AA status through EQMs would be nice, but is likely not achievable.

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
So you would like to earn AA Miles instead of WJ Dollars? But get status on WJ based on spending amount? Not sure if it is possible

WestJet is good at responding to inquiries on Twitter, but asking them this question in 140 characters or less would be difficult.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Hi,

sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to the Westjet program and amd trying to get up to speed due to the recent changes by AC to their Altitude program. I'm nothing close to a SE, but can easily get Gold status on Westjet.

My question is if I can also credit my flights to AA in order to get AAAdvantage miles.

Looking at the definition of qualifying spend:
Qualifying flight spend includes all purchases on WestJet-marketed flights flown in the qualifying year. WestJet Vacations packages, partner-marketed flights, partner bookings made on westjet.com, taxes, fees and charges are not eligible toward qualifying flight spend.

So, for example, if I book my flight through Westjet.com can I simply provide my AA# at time of booking and get both the $ spend credit and some AA miles?

Getting AA status through EQMs would be nice, but is likely not achievable.

Thanks.
I do think is only miles but not EQM.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/westjet.jsp
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

Can't do both. It's one or the other.

And only miles on AA not EQMs.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Can't do both. It's one or the other.

And only miles on AA not EQMs.
Can't do both? Really? But you are right about it being miles not EQMs.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Wow, so to confirm. If I wanted to earn AA miles, my money spent with AC would not go towards annual $6000 requirement to retain Gold?

That seems silly. I just found out about this AA thing, and it just got me SO excited. Can someone please doubly confirm? Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Wow, so to confirm. If I wanted to earn AA miles, my money spent with AC would not go towards annual $6000 requirement to retain Gold?

That seems silly. I just found out about this AA thing, and it just got me SO excited. Can someone please doubly confirm? Thanks!
Confirmed. The new Westjet program is revenue based. Spend money on WS, get the credit towards Westjet Gold and credit the miles to AA. My AA statements and Westjet account confirm I got Westjet dollars for the purchase and miles in AA for the flight in the past. Seems to still work when I check my Rewards account.

WS Activity Summary
WS Flight: Vancouver to Ottawa
$2
-
Aug 12, 2014
Reservation code PRZR??
Date Aug 2, 2014
Airline flown WS
Eligible spend $189
WestJet dollars earned $2 Earn on spend

PRZR?? Aug 2, 2014 WS $30 $1 Earn on spend

AA Mileage Summary
08/02/14 WESTJET 0142 Y YVR YOW 2,214 0 2,214

Interesting this flight is the first towards my membership level because they used Aug 1st start date:
Rewards Summary Current Level: Teal
Current qualifying year: Aug 1, 2014 - Jul 31, 2015
Qualifying flight spend this year: $219

(Not sure but I think the $30 was for seat selection.)
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Confirmed. The new Westjet program is revenue based. Spend money on WS, get the credit towards Westjet Gold and credit the miles to AA. My AA statements and Westjet account confirm I got Westjet dollars for the purchase and miles in AA for the flight in the past. Seems to still work when I check my Rewards account.

WS Activity Summary
WS Flight: Vancouver to Ottawa
$2
-
Aug 12, 2014
Reservation code PRZR??
Date Aug 2, 2014
Airline flown WS
Eligible spend $189
WestJet dollars earned $2 Earn on spend

PRZR?? Aug 2, 2014 WS $30 $1 Earn on spend

AA Mileage Summary
08/02/14 WESTJET 0142 Y YVR YOW 2,214 0 2,214

Interesting this flight is the first towards my membership level because they used Aug 1st start date:
Rewards Summary Current Level: Teal
Current qualifying year: Aug 1, 2014 - Jul 31, 2015
Qualifying flight spend this year: $219

(Not sure but I think the $30 was for seat selection.)
Please excuse my reply. I have re-read your post probably half a dozen times. I should have, in my post (which you replied to), capitalized the word "NOT". I think your post actually is not a confirmation but to indeed say that:

"Yes, you can qualify for WJ Gold through spend AND credit to AA". Based on your post, this would appear so. Please forgive me for double checking, what you are saying is that yes, I can qualify for WS spend ($6000 for gold) AND get my miles dumped in AA?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Please excuse my reply. I have re-read your post probably half a dozen times. I should have, in my post (which you replied to), capitalized the word "NOT". I think your post actually is not a confirmation but to indeed say that:

"Yes, you can qualify for WJ Gold through spend AND credit to AA". Based on your post, this would appear so. Please forgive me for double checking, what you are saying is that yes, I can qualify for WS spend ($6000 for gold) AND get my miles dumped in AA?
Yes I can confirm that I not confirming that you cannot do it. Am confirming that you can.

"Yes, you can qualify for WJ Gold through spend AND credit to AA".

Edit: see post 3 below "It has officially been told to me that it does NOT qualify for spend if you credit to AA. You must credit to WS dollars in order to hit $6k spend. This is straight from WS rep, Darren"

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Nov 4, 2014 at 12:19 pm Reason: contratictory info
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:08 am
Suspended

Yes I can confirm that I not confirming that you cannot do it. Am confirming that you can.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: MR Plat
So this works when you're booking on WS logged in with your WestJet ID and then put your AA number when booking and confirming AA number when checking-in?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:23 pm
Suspended

It has officially been told to me that it does NOT qualify for spend if you credit to AA. You must credit to WS dollars in order to hit $6k spend. This is straight from WS rep, Darren
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

OK, just saw this. Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
OK, just saw this. Thanks.
This is wrong - you CANNOT do that. See the posts below it, and the other thread.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roastpuff
This is wrong - you CANNOT do that. See the posts below it, and the other thread.
Correct. You CANNOT do this. It has been confirmed. Either credit to AA and lose WS gold in 2016, or credit to WS to retire 6k quota and hit gold again in 2016 (yes you get WS $ but that's it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.