Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a "Multicity booking"?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

What is a "Multicity booking"?

What is the official WestJet definition of a multicity booking?

When does a booking change from a multi-leg-itinerary (with connections) to a multicities-itinerary (with layovers)?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

I asked WestJet that question, but the automated response is rather disheartening:

"Due to fluctuating email volumes, it may take up to 30 days to receive a response". I like that they are open about it. Still, it seems a bit long.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The industry standard is that any stop of less than 24 hours is not a break in the journey; anything greater than 24 hours, and you are no longer just on a layover.

You could also argue that a "multicity booking" is any booking where you specifically request travel between more than just a simple one-way or return between an origin and a destination. Once you force layovers or stopovers in intermediate cities - regardless of how long you end up wanting to stay there - you are, technically, on a multicity booking.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The industry standard is that any stop of less than 24 hours is not a break in the journey; anything greater than 24 hours, and you are no longer just on a layover.
That was my understanding.

You could also argue that a "multicity booking" is any booking where you specifically request travel between more than just a simple one-way or return between an origin and a destination. Once you force layovers or stopovers in intermediate cities - regardless of how long you end up wanting to stay there - you are, technically, on a multicity booking.
You could also argue that anything that the airline prices as a single fare is a normal itinerary, but if you have separate fares it is multicity.

I'm sure there are more approaches. :-) Which is why I am interested in how WestJet defines it themselves.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Less than 24 hours for int'l
Less than 4 hours for domestic.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
Less than 24 hours for int'l
Less than 4 hours for domestic.
I see. Thank you. Is that available somewhere in a document?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
I see. Thank you. Is that available somewhere in a document?
I've found it in the tariff for "International and Transborder" flights.
http://www.westjet.com/pdf/internati...rderTariff.pdf

A "Stopover" is defined as "a deliberate interruption of a journey by the passenger, agreed to in advance by the carrier..." - UNLESS it is less than 4 hours.

So, according to the tariff, there is no 24 hour rule (there could have been one in the past).

The reason for my question was this weird experience: WestJet sent me a discount code, 25% off the base fare. Nice gesture. So I tried to book a transborder oneway that included two connections. The first of these connections was more than 4 but less than 24 hours.

However, when the discount code was applied, the price did not go down. The price went up significantly.

Superagent told me that the code was ineligible for multicities trips - but they could not explain to me why this was deemed a multicity flight, or when an itinerary becomes multicity.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I have received a response from WestJet:

"A multi city booking is when you have 3 or more destinations on your reservation.

For example a multi city is if you travel from Calgary to Winnipeg on the 5th of November, then Winnipeg to Toronto on the 8th of November and returning Toronto to Calgary on the 11th of November. This would be considered multi city as you have 3 destination cities which are Calgary, Winnipeg and Toronto.

A flight would not be considered multi city if you are just connecting through another city. If you travel Calgary to Toronto connecting through Edmonton and returning the same way it would just be considered a round trip. This is not multi city as you only have 2 destination cities of Calgary and Toronto with Edmonton just being a connecting city.

I hope this helps clarify what is and what is not a multi city booking."

No comment here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.