Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is WestJet's price drop guarantee for real?? [ended for bookings >5 Jan. 16]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P

I had submitted a price drop guarantee claim 5 days ago, by emailing [email protected] with all the required info. But so far I have received no acknowledgement, no response, nothing.

Is it for real? Anyone had success before?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:42 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
It's real! As a brand new service promise, we've yet to establish set turnaround times for your claim, but our team will be in touch when it reaches the front of the queue. Full details can be found here: https://www.westjet.com/guest/en/pri...uarantee.shtml.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
It's comforting to see an affirmative confirmation, especially from the company rep. So thanks for that!

I understand it's a brand new service, so this might not be high on your priority list yet. It would be nice to have an automatic acknowledgement email to let us know it has been received and is put in the queue. Preferably with a case number, but even if a simple acknowledgement would be fine.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:08 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Good feedback. Thanks. We'll forward it to the team working on the roll-out. ~Darren
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 am

It is for real, but read the fine print carefully. The price drop must be for a minimum of $25/passenger. I had booked tickets for my family (5 people) just after the guarantee was announced, and then last week saw that the price has dropped by just over $20/ticket ($26 including taxes etc.). I applied for the price drop guarantee, but the claim was denied because the price drop was under $25. According to my math, for the 5 of us it would have saved us close to $130, but I guess that is not a large enough savings to justify their effort.

While I am a pretty loyal Westjet flyer, this left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:15 pm

Why would it leave a bad taste in your mouth?

The policy is clear. $25 is the threshold. Your differential was $20.

Get over it.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by HangTen
Why wouldn't it?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by HangTen
It leaves a bad taste because WestJet widely advertises this as a "guarantee", but only explains in the fine print that there is a minimum amount before the guarantee applies, likely to minimize their administrative efforts for immaterial amounts. If I was purchasing one ticket, I could live with not getting a $20 credit. However, I am purchasing 5 tickets at a time, and in my opinion, a $100+tax savings is a material amount that is worthy of being guaranteed.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:44 pm

As far as I am concerned, the fare is whatever I have to pay including taxes, fees, etc. The WestJet webpage states: "There must be a minimum $25 CAD difference per person between original and new lower fare". In your case, the price went down by $26 rather than $20. Your claim should have been honoured.

It would have left a bad taste in my mouth, too.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
As far as I am concerned, the fare is whatever I have to pay including taxes, fees, etc. The WestJet webpage states: "There must be a minimum $25 CAD difference per person between original and new lower fare". In your case, the price went down by $26 rather than $20. Your claim should have been honoured.

It would have left a bad taste in my mouth, too.
The policy seems pretty straight forward to me.

If the base fare drops more than $25 per person, you're in the money. Not $20, not $23, not $24.99. $25.

If you find that distasteful, perhaps you should fly the competition and if the price drops $25.01, you can ask to be credited for the difference, where upon they'll politely tell you to go pound sound.

But that wouldn't be distasteful at all.

Sometimes I think Canadians won't be happy until airlines pay them to travel. I can't figure out where this strange entitled attitude comes from. One major airline in Canada has lost over $250 million in the past nine months, yet most Canadians think they are being "ripped off" by them. Huh?

Any way you cut it, air travel is dirt cheap.

I recently drove a vehicle 26 hrs from Canada to the south and ignoring the time issue completely, (time is money), it would have been far cheaper to fly. Perhaps the whiners should do an extended automobile road trip and get a bit of a reality check at some point.

Last edited by HangTen; Oct 17, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Why don't you make it possible to make the price drop guarantee by phone ? It will be faster and more convenient for the customers. JetBlue does it.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by Jono
However, I am purchasing 5 tickets at a time, and in my opinion, a $100+tax savings is a material amount that is worthy of being guaranteed.
I agree! Maybe they should institute a different rule where the guarantee is valid if the total amount for all passengers traveling on the same itinerary exceeds $x
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
NO good for me

We will be taking our first WestJet flight ever later this month and decided to sign up for their rewards program. Noticed the 'lower price guarantee' and decided to take a look and to my surprise, the price had dropped by more than $100.00 per person for the exact same flights/dates, so a potential savings of over $200.00. My excitement was soon diminished when I noticed that the guarantee ONLY applies for tickets booked from Sept 15th onward and mine was booked earlier.
I guess I am SOL!!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:57 am

Filed a claim for an upcoming trip ($48 price drop including taxes, fees, etc), got an instant acknowledgement email, and an approval email three days later.

Not bad. Now to see how long it takes them after the trip to actually credit my account.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, Alaska Airlines
Unhappy Still waiting - 3 weeks

I filed a claim 3 weeks ago - received acknowledgement but no $$ yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.