Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet to announce new service to Glasgow U.K.

Westjet to announce new service to Glasgow U.K.

Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
I would fly WJ over being Rouged any day. Great to see WJ expanding more into Europe and hopefully more international destinations.

Originally Posted by StickShaker
Bringing AC (Rouge) into the equation it seems their foray into Scotland (EDI)
has exceeded expectations. Could it be West Jet have chosen unwisely?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by altitude75k
I would fly WJ over being Rouged any day. Great to see WJ expanding more into Europe and hopefully more international destinations.
Exactly my thoughts.

Will there be an additional rotation between YYZ and YHZ starting May 30? Or does this replace an existing one?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:03 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Interesting routing... the price is interesting also.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
The former I can understand...Westjet provides its own feed-in traffic. But to whom would Westjet customers connect to in GLA? Does Westjet have a marketing agreement with an airline that would provide logical connections there?
One doesn't need a marketing agreement for logical connections to exist. One only needs an interline ticketing agreement - and preferably underlying fares which allow for through ticketing between the two airlines.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Anyone at the UK end- Go to NS, its amazing
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by altitude75k
My thoughts too. It will be interesting to see what happens once they announce routes for the leased 767s. Does anyone know when that may be?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Airpost have little marketing of their service as far as I can see. Do people even know it exists? It's not like the days of Zoom.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
I welcome this in principle, but have a difficulty with the not quite one world status of Westjet. BTW a Belfast route would also be welcome:

If Westjet was fully OW* I would fly on this in preference to others as the short duration transatlantic is really attractive. I am going to connect in the US or Canada anyway, why not NS. Oh yes, no FF points, lounges or status.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hnl808
WestJet has both interline and codeshare agreements with the following carriers that operate out of GLA.

British Airways
Emirates
Icelandic
KLM
US Airways

Passengers could technically travel on WestJet and connect to one of these carriers for a seamless transfer onwards.
All* of those airlines serve only one destination directly from GLA. No-one in their right mind would travel via Glasgow if their goal was to fly to Philadelphia, or to connect onwards from GLA via PHL with US Airways. Getting to Dubai (or travelling further) on Emirates also seems improbable. Similarly, travelling all the way to Glasgow just to backtrack across the Atlantic to Reyjkavik on Icelandair seems counter-intuitive. Most of Europe could, in theory, be reached by connecting to KLM in Amsterdam or BA in London - but would the Canadian traveller really want a ticket that required stops in Halifax, Glasgow, and then Amsterdam or London?

(*BA's non-London destinations from Glasgow are holiday charters, and as such could not be bought on a single ticket. Though I really think you would have a hard time buying a single ticket including WestJet and any of the airlines mentioned).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Interesting routing... the price is interesting also.
It is. I may have to go to Scotland sooner than later then.

I'd like to check this out: http://www.enchantedforest.org.uk/
Originally Posted by pinkcat
Anyone at the UK end- Go to NS, its amazing
+1
I also highly recommend it, and I'm Canadian (although not from the east coast)

I think it's great news. I guess Dublin went really well for WJ that they've decided to expand, or they got a sweetheart deal that they couldn't say no to.

I actually flew from from Dublin to YYZ on my way back from my round the world Asia trip and check-in was a gong show. They'd only been operating the route for about a week though, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
It was pretty bad though in that some of the WJ management that had gone over to train the Irish employees had to man the check-in desks. I sat a few rows in front of them on the plane so I overheard them talking about it.

In any case, I'm curious as to if they'll allow for a 6-7 hour stopover like the Dublin route...

Still wish it was possible to get points though...
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
All* of those airlines serve only one destination directly from GLA. No-one in their right mind would travel via Glasgow if their goal was to fly to Philadelphia, or to connect onwards from GLA via PHL with US Airways. Getting to Dubai (or travelling further) on Emirates also seems improbable. Similarly, travelling all the way to Glasgow just to backtrack across the Atlantic to Reyjkavik on Icelandair seems counter-intuitive. Most of Europe could, in theory, be reached by connecting to KLM in Amsterdam or BA in London - but would the Canadian traveller really want a ticket that required stops in Halifax, Glasgow, and then Amsterdam or London?

(*BA's non-London destinations from Glasgow are holiday charters, and as such could not be bought on a single ticket. Though I really think you would have a hard time buying a single ticket including WestJet and any of the airlines mentioned).
These may not be the best connections in order to get somewhere, but they are options none the less. Having to go via two stops from canada to the UK are ok with most travelers as these flights may cost less than a non-stop. I always believe having more options than none are better, especially when traveling.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:53 pm

Interlining with EasyJet would be extremely nice, but itis unlikely.

And why not continue with Emirates to Dubai and beyond? They don't fly to YHZ themselves, so if one wants to go to/via Dubai, GLA isn't a bad route.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by StickShaker
Bit of a strange one? Airpost's weekly GLA-Halifax in August 2014 recorded a load factor of 27%. Assuming WestJet's proposed daily service would saturate such a thin route, it looks like the venture might be short lived.?
There's a huge difference. WJ has scads of feed and flow traffic. Airpost was a completely unknown brand.

The YYZ - YHZ sector is flown as a domestic flight. Some will continue on, some won't.

The other thing to consider is what part of Scotland is, from an ethnic perspective, considered "home" to most Nova Scotians?

Why fly to places others already fly to? This is right out of WJ's play book.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:36 am

I'm hoping that their next european route would be France… I can see YUL-YQM-PAR as a good idea (YQM-PAR is shorter than YYC-HNL). Linking the two francophone/bilingual provinces of the east coast to France would make sense. Especially since YQM has no routes to Europe, this could be profitable.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sokolov
And why not continue with Emirates to Dubai and beyond? They don't fly to YHZ themselves, so if one wants to go to/via Dubai, GLA isn't a bad route.
Flying Westjet to GLA to take up an Emirates flight would require a wait of at least 6 hours in Glasgow, in what would be, for the Halifax traveller, the middle of their night.

If Westjet wished to codeshare with Emirates, perhaps they could do so via one of Emirates' other North American gateways. The longer EK flight would also make for a more comfortable trip (the short transatlantic hop to GLA makes for a very short night's sleep).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.