Wiki Posts
Search

Funny Math

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Funny Math

Booking two one way flights - one to US; one from US to different Canadian City

The total fare exceeds that of the two one ways.

Even when taking into account the credit care extra charge for the US one way

So I cancelled and booked separately. This will confirm

Anyone discovered this?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Not sure by how much the difference is. If it's reasonably minor it's probably because of taxes. I often book one way's within Canada, both on full rev and reward tickets, I do this because taxes are often less this way on one direction.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

It was $30 on what should have been a $700 ticket (for 2)

almost the same as the new baggage charge.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:41 pm

It is most likely taxes.

When I go YVR - YQF on a reward flight it's $82, when I go YQF - YVR on a reward flight it's $60, because of the taxes. But if I do it as a single ticket I get hit at $164.

I know it's not the same route, just an example.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:26 pm

It is not always taxes. I have been watching the YHZ-YYZ-LAS route. Sometimes it is significantly cheaper to book YHZ-YYZ, YYZ-LAS as separately prices segments. It may even be possible to do it on one ticket (ITA Matrix thinks so), but of course not on the WestJet website.

I've sen many examples where airlines charge more for AAA-BBB than for XXX-AAA-BBB, because they want to compete with carriers flying XXX-BBB directly. WestJet seems to take a rather different approach at times. :-)
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
It is not always taxes. I have been watching the YHZ-YYZ-LAS route. Sometimes it is significantly cheaper to book YHZ-YYZ, YYZ-LAS as separately prices segments. It may even be possible to do it on one ticket (ITA Matrix thinks so), but of course not on the WestJet website.

I've sen many examples where airlines charge more for AAA-BBB than for XXX-AAA-BBB, because they want to compete with carriers flying XXX-BBB directly. WestJet seems to take a rather different approach at times. :-)
Ah yes, that does happen but it's really really rare. You can force the booking by doing a multi segment same day on google flights and then clicking the book now button and it will take you to the website with those fares selected ready for buying.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:44 pm

When booking flights within Canada between a province that has HST (e.g. Ontario, Nova Scotia) and another that has a non-harmonized PST or no PST (e.g. Manitoba, Alberta), it is cheaper to book two one-way tickets than a round trip.

E.G. flight from YYZ to YWG and back. The round trip will charge HST (13%) on the entire ticket, but the two one ways will only charge HST on the flight from YYZ to YWG and only GST (5% - no PST) on flight from YWG to YYZ. This saves 8% on the return flight.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Ah yes, that does happen but it's really really rare. You can force the booking by doing a multi segment same day on google flights and then clicking the book now button and it will take you to the website with those fares selected ready for buying.
Are you aware of a way to add a discount code to such a booking and/or to use WestJet Dollars? (Whether it is initiated on Google Flights or on the WestJet multi-segment booking site.)

This is a problem I have run to several times. The WestJet website is too limited in what routings are offered. So I usually end up flying someone else.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:34 pm

Are you aware of a way to add a discount code to such a booking and/or to use WestJet Dollars? (Whether it is initiated on Google Flights or on the WestJet multi-segment booking site.)

This is a problem I have run to several times. The WestJet website is too limited in what routings are offered. So I usually end up flying someone else.
Sorry, I am not. Maybe someone else can help you here.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:22 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards

Just hit "book a flight using WestJet dollars" before you enter anything into the search engine. Once logging in, the search engine will re-appear, and includes a place to input your promo/ coupon code.

Cheers,
Darren
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by WestJet
Just hit "book a flight using WestJet dollars" before you enter anything into the search engine. Once logging in, the search engine will re-appear, and includes a place to input your promo/ coupon code.
I think there is a misunderstanding. We are talking about routings that the WestJet website will not produce - which is why we have to use a search engine. Like Google Flights or Hipmunk. How will those appear after I log in to my WestJet account?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:44 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
I think there is a misunderstanding. We are talking about routings that the WestJet website will not produce - which is why we have to use a search engine. Like Google Flights or Hipmunk. How will those appear after I log in to my WestJet account?
Please give us a call at 1-888-WESTJET and an agent will build the connection for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.