Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to short check a bag on westjet?

Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: rapidly diminishing

I'm flying YYZ-YVR-YYJ in a couple of weeks time, and I want to check a bag to YVR only.

I'll be in YYJ for a night, having a meeting, and then heading back to YVR for a few days - so can take all I need in my carry-on.

I can get a friend to meet me at YVR and take my bag for me (I have a 3 hour layover, so I can't see time being an issue) - but I can't work out if WS will allow me to short check my bag to YVR - and my internet sleuthing attempts have drawn a blank.

IIRC, some airlines allow short checking, and others are less keen.
Does anyone know what WS' position is on this?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:09 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
It's not problem to short-check your bag.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:41 pm

If you think it might be a problem, create two itineraries. The first itinerary would be YYZ-YVR and the second would be YVR-YYJ. Done!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Just a tip from my point of view:

I would go with the short check.

If you do 2 itineraries, while it will work, should your first flight be delayed they will not know why you haven't caught your 2nd one and your ticket could be cancelled etc and all that mess.

Now yes, I am sure you could explain it to them, and get it all figured out, but it's a LOT easier if all your flights are on the same PNR. If one is delayed they see why you missed it and proactively put you on a later one.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
Any recent experiences on short-checking a back on WS for domestic flights? The comments above are a few years old - is WS still fine with short-checking a bag at a connection on a domestic flight? My brother is going through YYC and wanted to transfer an item to me while here on his connection so wanted to test if that's still feasible.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold; WJ Gold
Yup, I've short checked a few bags in the past 6mo, both domestically and internationally (PHX-YYC-YOW, short-checked to YYC). Staff have handled it quite comfortably at multiple stations (YYZ, PHX).
Old Oct 29, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm kinda assuming the answer is no but wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this...
I'm flying SEA-YYC-AMS on WS and then a couple weeks later AMS-YYC to visit family. I'm wondering if there is any way I can drop off one of my checked bags with family during my YYC connection on the way to AMS, since it will have stuff for my time in Calgary and I don't feel like lugging it around Europe. Anyone know if Westjet would be able to check one bag to YYC and the other to AMS for the first leg of my trip (or maybe check both to YYC and then I can re-check one of them to AMS)?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 2:46 pm

shortchecking is typically not allowed.

packed your checked bags contents into 2 separate carry on bags. if there are contents that cant be carried on, then this strategy wont work
Old Oct 29, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jasonl5
I'm kinda assuming the answer is no but wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this...
I'm flying SEA-YYC-AMS on WS and then a couple weeks later AMS-YYC to visit family. I'm wondering if there is any way I can drop off one of my checked bags with family during my YYC connection on the way to AMS, since it will have stuff for my time in Calgary and I don't feel like lugging it around Europe. Anyone know if Westjet would be able to check one bag to YYC and the other to AMS for the first leg of my trip (or maybe check both to YYC and then I can re-check one of them to AMS)?
Keep a big carryon bag of the stuff you want to leave in Calgary. Then have someone meet you at YYC to collect it.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thank you both sydneyracquelle and gnomey ! Didn't even think about a carry on bag but that should work perfectly for what I need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.