Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Miles announces new status level

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Air Miles announces new status level

Earn 6000 miles in a calendar year to achieve.....

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/MyBene...geLocale=en_CA
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
6K per year? How many collectors hit those heights I wonder. I thought I was doing well keeping my gold status for the last half dozen years...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
6K per year? How many collectors hit those heights I wonder. I thought I was doing well keeping my gold status for the last half dozen years...
So what do you get from that?

My friend managed to be Gold for one year. It was a disappointing experience for her, as she did not derive any benefit from it whatsoever.

She could have enjoyed a discount on certain flights, yes, but there was not much on offer from YHZ that was of interest to her whenever she checked. And she does not remember a single invitation to the advertised "Gold-inspired events". Also, they never sent her a golden card (dunno if they are supposed to).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
New Card..

Ron.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by sokolov
So what do you get from that?

My friend managed to be Gold for one year. It was a disappointing experience for her, as she did not derive any benefit from it whatsoever.

She could have enjoyed a discount on certain flights, yes, but there was not much on offer from YHZ that was of interest to her whenever she checked. And she does not remember a single invitation to the advertised "Gold-inspired events". Also, they never sent her a golden card (dunno if they are supposed to).
No, seem to recall hearing that they stopped sending out the actual physical gold cards some years back.

I hear you and there really isn't much beyond the occasional discounted flight and merchandise rewards but I've lucked into a few over the years and haven't really has to stretch to get to 1K/year.

Congrats however to newfbc on getting his onyx card. ^
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:09 pm

Looked at the site. What are the real benefits of Onyx compared to Gold?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by newfbc
New Card..
I've seen a guy with such a card at a Sobeys checkout the other day. (I learned recently that Airmiles is a Sobeys partner in certain provinces only.)

Although there are some purchases (like cars) that can yield a lot of airmiles at once, 6k is quite a bit. Especially if you want to requalify repeatedly.

Airmiles lost my business when they devalued their product with the introduction of Cash miles and whatevertheotherthingiscalled.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I've seen a guy with such a card at a Sobeys checkout the other day. (I learned recently that Airmiles is a Sobeys partner in certain provinces only.)

Although there are some purchases (like cars) that can yield a lot of airmiles at once, 6k is quite a bit. Especially if you want to requalify repeatedly.

Airmiles lost my business when they devalued their product with the introduction of Cash miles and whatevertheotherthingiscalled.
devaluation of the award chart?
(that being said, there are still good uses like the 5850 mile round trip YVR-India/Pakistan/BKK/SIN.)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jul 18, 2014 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC

Miles are getting harder to come by... It's been a while since I've had a $100 / 1000 Mile shop at Safeway. I used to have a few of those per year.

Ron.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
My parents put up thousands upon thousands of AMs a year because of my dad's meds combined with Safeway bonuses (although who knows how long that will last with other provinces eliminating points at pharmacies). They got their onyx card and my mom was pretty chuffed about it, but I looked at the benefit sheet and I'd say it's about as useful as Aeroplan dBlack.

Discounts on a couple flights you'll never use, discounts on selected toasters, invitations to events you'll never attend. Wow.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by heraclitus
My parents put up thousands upon thousands of AMs a year because of my dad's meds combined with Safeway bonuses (although who knows how long that will last with other provinces eliminating points at pharmacies). They got their onyx card and my mom was pretty chuffed about it, but I looked at the benefit sheet and I'd say it's about as useful as Aeroplan dBlack.

Discounts on a couple flights you'll never use, discounts on selected toasters, invitations to events you'll never attend. Wow.
not to mention that AM also charges YQ and has far less partners. Plus tobok flights it is much more difficult.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
not to mention that AM also charges YQ and has far less partners. Plus tobok flights it is much more difficult.
It's not that bad. I'm taking my family to Hawaii on AE, my parents are going on AM. All seats in Y. They are paying $150 pp for 1 stop AC flights there and back. I am paying $190 pp for a 1-stop AC flight in one direction, and a ridiculous UA 2-stop marathon on the way home because it's all I could find on my schedule.

I am planning to use my AM points on a Y trip to Florida soon, and I can tell you that AM availaibility is far better than the usual dregs that AE serves up.

Booking platform is online and as easy to use as AE.

I realize that AM is not a serious consideration for the hardcore roadwarriors and mileage runners here, but it has its benefits.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:13 pm

What about booking hotels with AM? Can't transfer points to hotels on line, try to call them, waiting time is very long. They actually say in their recording to call again at a different time. How is this for good customer service?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
It's not that bad. I'm taking my family to Hawaii on AE, my parents are going on AM. All seats in Y. They are paying $150 pp for 1 stop AC flights there and back. I am paying $190 pp for a 1-stop AC flight in one direction, and a ridiculous UA 2-stop marathon on the way home because it's all I could find on my schedule.

I am planning to use my AM points on a Y trip to Florida soon, and I can tell you that AM availaibility is far better than the usual dregs that AE serves up.

Booking platform is online and as easy to use as AE.

I realize that AM is not a serious consideration for the hardcore roadwarriors and mileage runners here, but it has its benefits.
That is only as AM uses revenue buckets (I can find plenty of availability too through AA and DL as well, even more so than their respective FFPs.)
Besides, a seat sale can mean that paying for a revenue ticket can be better.
And, it is obvious when you are overseas and there are no FX free AM cards that it isn't of use for frequent flyers, as already mentioned.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
True Gold isn't all that much. Having the BMO Gold MC at least assures 25% off flight awards and I use these fairly regularly on AA short hauls, all of which earn full mileage and as an ExecPlat, upgradable. Been AM Gold for years but never once got an actual Gold version of the card. Hard to see anyone earning Onyx, at least not our here in central Canada where the bonuses are rather meagre (no AMs with drug prescriptions at Rexall or Metro).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.