Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet announces wide-body service from 2015!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet announces wide-body service from 2015!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Any speculation on widebody assignments? Hawaii is the obvious one and presumably Europe, but which destinations?

And is that it or could they be assigned to the Caribbean? I'm assuming that other continents are off the table.
They've already stated Hawaii-Alberta as the first priority.

Expansion of Europe would seem logical.

Flights to the Caribbean from the West would be great.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by roastpuff
And as far as I know, the "troubled teens" did not have any maintenance issues - they just did not meet performance targets due to weight... they were a little chubby let's say.
Correct - they apparently lose about 1,000 miles of range (to roughly 6,500 Nautical Miles - still ample for all but longest of long hauls) and fuel burn would be somewhat higher carrying the extra weight.

The positives are availability, price and potential commonality with later versions of the 787 for long term fleet planning/expansion.

Last edited by The Lev; Jul 8, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:49 pm

If it's not ex-YEG you won't see me on any of them.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
If it's not ex-YEG you won't see me on any of them.
So no Hawaii via WS if it's only a YYC departure? You only vacation in places that can be reached direct from Edmonton?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:31 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by The Lev
The positives are availability, price and potential commonality with later versions of the 787 for long term fleet planning/expansion.
Or 330ceos transitioning to 330neos or 350s

Saying that, there are 5 787 terrible teens available with RR engines. All rampant speculation at best, either way.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
I think WS will want to go smaller rather than bigger, so I envision either:
  1. Buy 763's to test the waters then either buy the 787 or 330neo
  2. Jump in with both feet, get a great deal from Boeing on the 787 terrible teens (at least for the short-medium term) WS doesn't need the really long range of newer 787's. As part of the package, get slots later in the decade for 787-9's to give them greater flexibility in terms of size and range.
I'm leaning towards option 2 which avoids having to re-train pilots in a few years.
The risk with 787 terrible teens is "what else could go wrong". Also if there is another significant air worthiness directive, there is risk the Boeing fix may not apply to these oddball aircraft.

As too code pt of buying used 763s, some internal WS peeps seems to indicate a preference for QF 763s. QF has stated they want 763s off property by q3-2015.

Word of caution on QF aircraft, they are very high cycle from doing SYD-MEL all day long. The interiors are very old. Aside from high cycle old interior, these are very well maintained aircraft, come with fleet commonality, and can work for the next few years until the wide body business model gets proved.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by WR Cage
The risk with 787 terrible teens is "what else could go wrong". Also if there is another significant air worthiness directive, there is risk the Boeing fix may not apply to these oddball aircraft.

On your point about f buying used 763s, some internal WS peeps seems to indicate a preference for QF 763s. QF has stated they want 763s off property by q3-2015.

Word of caution on QF aircraft, they are very high cycle from doing SYD-MEL all day long. The interiors are very old. Aside from high cycle old interior, these are very well maintained aircraft, come with fleet commonality, and can work for the next few years until the wide body business model gets proved.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
So no Hawaii via WS if it's only a YYC departure? You only vacation in places that can be reached direct from Edmonton?
I will not connect in Canada no matter the carrier.

We have a place in PSP and in the off-season fly UA or AS via their hubs and once in a while US via PHX.

Unless I am going to LHR, I will be flying FI via KEF to Europe including this fall.

I have not connected in YYC in nearly 10 years. I had some reward points on CO and used them up to take the family to TPA.

Last edited by ProudEdmontonian; Jul 9, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:43 pm

WJ operated 2 of the highest cycle 737-200's in the world for a while. I am told they were also 2 of the most reliable aircraft in the fleet, because they came from Southwest Airlines with new D Checks.

Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I will not connect in Canada no matter the carrier.

We have a place in PSP and in the off-season fly UA or AS via their hubs and once in a while US via PHX.
Just out of curiosity, what difference does it make if you go YEG-YYC- (your destination) Vs. YEG - (UA or AS hub)- (your destination)?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Just out of curiosity, what difference does it make if you go YEG-YYC- (your destination) Vs. YEG - (UA or AS hub)- (your destination)?
If you pass US CBP in YEG, you arrive as a domestic passenger in the US hub and don't have to pass TSA, just go straight to the gate.

Connecting in Canada would require repassing security and then to CBP pre clearance.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:59 pm

The other day on an SFO-YVR flight, a guest on my WS flight that was transferring to another airline's flight onwards to China said she didn't need to fill out the Canada Customs Card because she will be going through a special bypass in YVR for transiting guests onwards to China. Does anyone have any idea what is she talking about?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
If you want to try the 'torture test' come up to YEG and then fly YEG-YYC-anywhere USA in the morning particularly with checked luggage.

As well, the more Edmontonians who avoid connecting in Canada the more likely that non-stops will be added such as, for example, YEG-LAX on AA most recently.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If you want to try the 'torture test' come up to YEG and then fly YEG-YYC-anywhere USA in the morning particularly with checked luggage.
Bad I presume? The last time I was in the US was 2002, so I have no idea what their customs lineups are like.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
One word: NEXUS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.