Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

When do u guys think West Jet would officially join OneWorld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.

I am SICK and tired of Air Canada, and like to jump ship but my flights are mostly outside of Canada and would love to get on WestJet if they were part of OneWorld alliance (or even Skyteam)!

Since there's already code-share with OneWorld, do you guys think something's is in the works to get on the program finally? and give serious competition to Air Canada finally?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:29 pm

This is a topic that has come up numerous times in the past.

IMHO it won't happen any time soon (I'm not saying never). I don't see much upside for WS to do this and alliance membership isn't cheap.

Right now WS can partner with all non-*A airlines; for example they codeshare with both DL and AA. Joining either OW or ST would pretty much mean turning their backs on partners from the other alliance. Why pick one when you can have both? By not aligning WS can pick up traffic that either alliance wants to connect to and avoid AC.

I think it is much more likely that WS will take a route that AS has had (until things recently changed with DL), stay unaligned and form a network of bilateral relationships with multiple airlines.

Of course, if WS does venture into intercontinental flights on widebody aircraft, things might change to the point where joining an alliance could make sense. If they did join an alliance, I think SkyTeam could be equally likely given the number of relationships with ST airlines.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I personally would *love* to see WS join OW, but for the reasons YEG USER pointed out, it's highly unlikely to happen for years. Even more, it would require WS to change its business model and really go international in a big way.

If you look at OW's member airlines, they're all full-service international carriers with a reasonably extensive global - or at least regional - route network. Even the smaller ones like S7 or Sri Lankan fly to a couple of dozen countries. Where does WS go exactly? Outside of Canada it's the US, a few Caribbean islands (many on only a seasonal basis) plus soon DUB? That's not a particularly attractive route network for global business travelers - how many are going to Kelowna? Plus, the preponderance of routes from the North American mainland to the Caribbean is probably overly duplicative for AA.

Also, I think the fact that WS is basically an LCC (no real premium class) will be a strike against them. It's too far removed from the business model that other OW airlines have.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Probably never. Although it has introduced a "premium cabin" there are many other standards that would have to be met to join either ONEWORLD or SKYTEAM. Not to mention the fact that WS code shares with DL, AF and KL as well as several OW airlines. Like AS, WS will continue to "play the field" with partnerships. It would be nice if WS did give EQMs in those affiliated programs but I suspect the FF program requirements would also be too costly for it to endure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.