Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet "Definitely" Eyeing Widebody Aircraft and Overseas Routes - Gregg Saretsky

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet "Definitely" Eyeing Widebody Aircraft and Overseas Routes - Gregg Saretsky

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

Per today's Calgary Herald, WestJet is talking to its pilots and investigating options for wide-body aircraft, with a view to building overseas routes.

This is the clearest and most concrete response yet from WestJet on this issue. Bring it on, I say. I'd love to give them my business on TATL flights.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:53 pm

It also says that baggage fees are highly likely to be introduced in early 2015. :-(
Old May 7, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Yeah I know. I hoped if we all just ignored that part it might go away.

Guess not.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More details.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/busi...diluted-share/
Old May 7, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I rarely check bags but feel one free bag is fair and civilized. I hope they don't eliminate this last remaining piece of civility.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I rarely check bags but feel one free bag is fair and civilized. I hope they don't eliminate this last remaining piece of civility.
I agree. How an airline can expect someone to journey without any bag period is beyond me! It will force more people to take bags on in carry on and the overhead bin space is already at a premium!
Old May 7, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I hope so, too. Didn't airlines use to claim that it cost them thousands of dollars a minute to delay flights? I've been on US domestic flights that have been delayed by 10 minutes or more because they were trying to sort out and gate check all the carry-on bags. The cost of the delay has got to be more than the money they make by charging for the first bag.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I hope so, too. Didn't airlines use to claim that it cost them thousands of dollars a minute to delay flights? I've been on US domestic flights that have been delayed by 10 minutes or more because they were trying to sort out and gate check all the carry-on bags. The cost of the delay has got to be more than the money they make by charging for the first bag.
I've often wondered the same thing. When everyone carries on bags to avoid the surcharge, it's complete and utter chaos. Half the bags are too big for the overhead bins, and some people get down the ramp with two or three of them. By the time the FA's haul the big bags back off the plane and pass them down the stairs to be checked, we're 15 - 20 minutes late pushing back. Magnify this by four or five legs a day for some aircraft ... you would think that has to add up to a huge amount of money wasted just in labour expense alone (i.e. paying crews to stand around and wait).
Old May 8, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I've often wondered the same thing. When everyone carries on bags to avoid the surcharge, it's complete and utter chaos. Half the bags are too big for the overhead bins, and some people get down the ramp with two or three of them. By the time the FA's haul the big bags back off the plane and pass them down the stairs to be checked, we're 15 - 20 minutes late pushing back. Magnify this by four or five legs a day for some aircraft ... you would think that has to add up to a huge amount of money wasted just in labour expense alone (i.e. paying crews to stand around and wait).
Although Ryanair are disliked by many people for their practices in airtravel, one thing they do generally get right is pre-prepping the boarding process to reduce the boarding time significantly. One of the best processes is the pre-check of both boarding pass and documents combined with a Ryanair portable sizing "box" that is slipped over carry-on luggage that may look to be too large compared with their allowance, if it is too large then there is a draconian charge to check it at the gate. A CSA walks the bull-pen line at the gate before boarding starts, to perform these checks. Their bin space is sufficient for the carry-on needs of a full flight, based on the maximum item size they allow.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Per today's Calgary Herald, WestJet is talking to its pilots and investigating options for wide-body aircraft, with a view to building overseas routes.

This is the clearest and most concrete response yet from WestJet on this issue. Bring it on, I say. I'd love to give them my business on TATL flights.
Hopefully this works out. I always like hearing about more competition and choices for flyers in Canada.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
"Saretsky said. He declined to comment on what international destinations might be targeted, saying only they would be "markets that are burdened by very high airfares."

Hopefully this means destinations like Tahiti and The Cook Islands.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
Although Ryanair are disliked by many people for their practices in airtravel, one thing they do generally get right is pre-prepping the boarding process (...)
It is one of the main reasons why so many people hate Ryanair.

And it expains why only desparate airports vie for Ryanair flights: Ryanair passengers shop significantly less at the departure airport. They may not be allowed to carry that extra bag onto the plane.

Furthermore, Ryanair has stated that they will raise the fees for checked luggage higher and higher until they don't have to check anything. This is quite different from what North American airlines are doing: They want to earn extra revenue with luggage fees, not deter passengers from checking any.

Keep in mind that many (but not all) Ryanair-flights are short, unlike WestJet's. Ryanair even wanted to introduce standing-room-only-planes.

In another important aspect WestJet and Ryanair couldn't be farther apart: WestJet is majority-owned by its staff. Ryanair treats their employees quite differently: They have to buy and clean their own uniforms at their own expence, whereas office staff has to bring their own writing pens to work. Ryanair has also been found to violate worker's rights.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
"Saretsky said. He declined to comment on what international destinations might be targeted, saying only they would be "markets that are burdened by very high airfares."

Hopefully this means destinations like Tahiti and The Cook Islands.
+1^
Old May 16, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by sokolov

In another important aspect WestJet and Ryanair couldn't be farther apart: WestJet is majority-owned by its staff.
The majority of Westjet employees are shareholders but the majority of shareholders are not Westjet employees. The largest shareholder group of Westjet are major institutional investors and mutual funds. A couple of BoD members, including the CEO, own around 3% each, but the employees collectively are minor shareholders (about 13%).

Last edited by robsaw; May 16, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old May 16, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
The majority of Westjet employees are shareholders but the majority of shareholders are not Westjet employees. The largest shareholder group of Westjet are major institutional investors and mutual funds. A couple of BoD members, including the CEO, own around 3% each, but the employees collectively are minor shareholders (about 13%).
I wonder what % of Air Canada is owned by the employees?

If WJ employees own 13% of the company, that means the average employee has a $41,500 stake in the company at a $25 share price.

That will make sure they are paying attention to the bottom line!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.