Wiki Posts
Search

Encore questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Encore questions

I'm looking at the possibility of having to do some fairly frequent Edmonton-Regina flights, and even though I'm usually a loyal AC flier, I'm interested in encore because of the frequency offered and the DH4s on the route (2 hours in an AC DH3 sounds painful). I do have some questions though:

1- How big are the encore overhead bins? I'm told WestJet offers skycheck for rolling bags, but AC's DH4s don't. Would a normal rolling bag (22x15x9) fit in the encore bins? If I can avoid standing on the tarmac in the winter waiting for my bag, I'll be thrilled!

2- Does encore offer complementary wine and beer on flights?

3- How is the legroom? Having a 78 seat configuration sounds cozy, does anyone have any comments on this?

Are there any other benefits or drawbacks of encore that you can think of??
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:07 pm
Original Member

1. Most standard rolly bags will fit in the bin sideways. This assumes there is enough space left in the bins, so try to board early.

2. Comp beer & wine, yes.

3. Leg room is adequate. The seats are almost slimline, with the pocket for onboard materials above the tray table, which cuts down on wasted space at the knee level.

Hope this is helpful!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fisch
1. Most standard rolly bags will fit in the bin sideways. This assumes there is enough space left in the bins, so try to board early.

3. Leg room is adequate. The seats are almost slimline, with the pocket for onboard materials above the tray table, which cuts down on wasted space at the knee level.

Hope this is helpful!
Fisch: Long time "no see" Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda

Hope this is helpful!
Do they recline, or are the fixed like the Jazz DHC 8's?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:21 pm

There is no longer a go kart (skycheck) service on Encore operated flights.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by yul36
Do they recline, or are the fixed like the Jazz DHC 8's?
They recline.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:30 pm

...The seats are almost slimline...
I flew Encore a few months ago with a couple of co-workers. I found the seats to be extremely uncomfortable. My back got sore during the flight and was still sore the next day. One of my co-workers mentioned to me the next day that their back was also sore after the flight.

AC's DH3 flights are 1h38 on the way to YQR and 1h50 on the way back. I used to fly YEG-YQR frequently but usually routed via YYC for increased frequency (and AQS). I've found the direct flight to be fine (I can sleep easily on planes so have never minded the non-stop). Reading something on my smart phone makes time pass quickly too. Even without the ability to recline, I find the seats on AC to be much more comfortable (believe it or not).

WS's Q400 flights are 1h28 on the way to YQR and 1h38 minutes on the way back. The Encore aircraft will certainly be quieter inside the cabin and saves 10-12 minutes depending on direction of travel.

AC appears to have 2 daily non-stops most days while WS has 3.

IMHO its a toss-up. I'd book based on price and/or flight timing.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by mattaw
There is no longer a go kart (skycheck) service on Encore operated flights.
Really? I thought the skycheck was supposed to be a permanent service for all encore flights? So much for a leisurely boarding process...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Good reason to avoid Encore! Checking in bags is not my style.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Good reason to avoid Encore! Checking in bags is not my style.
I traveled Encore recently on a very full flight with an electric guitar and smaller scale roll on and had no problem getting bin space.

Better yet, there's no waiting around for the sky check cart on the ramp!

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.