Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Passenger’s Sexist Note Left on WestJet Flight Stirs Pilot’s Heated Response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger’s Sexist Note Left on WestJet Flight Stirs Pilot’s Heated Response

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by tcook052
IIRC I've flown with Capt. Steacy to CUN in the past and I thought while different to hear a female voice in the end I care more about her abilities than gender. Sad some can't see past that barrier in this day & age.
I've flown with a female pilot all of ONCE on an AC YYZ-MEX (I assume the captain has 4 bars and the FO 3...?) I wanted to say as we were leaving that it was great to see her setting a great example for young females to enter any field they want, even if it seems dominated by men...but I didn't say anything

Originally Posted by psusaver
These are vague hypotheticals.

How many female have you seen wearing heels while on duty? Don't just make up stuff unless you have actual facts. Of course, you could be just looking for attention by making posts like the original one as well as this one, in which case.. yes, you got your wish.
I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was joking, because how often would ANYBODY bring a vase in to their place of work, let alone a cockpit...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Note: Attempt at humor follows

Originally, I thought the pilot should also just dump the note. It would be her secret.

But then, I saw where the plane was going, and realized that she would just be reinforcing gender stereotypes.

You see, if somebody found the note, they could just accuse her of being too involved with Victoria's Secret!

Mike
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: M+ 1P Marriott SPG
Wow, do some of the people on this board need to invest in sarcasm detectors!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: M+ 1P Marriott SPG
And BTW, the note writer misspelled "respectfully"!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I know what is worse than being a sexist; it's being a coward.
The idiot lacked the spine to say it in person.
... unlike ......
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
A few years ago I was on a RJ with an all female African-American crew, they made a point of mentioning this at the end of the flight.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
I wish airlines WOULD publicize way in advance when cockpit crew was female - I would choose those flights above others.

I remember way back in the 70's when I was an Air Force wife, reading about a military medical training flight where the entire crew of 16 - pilot, co-pilot, doctors, nurses, crewpeople - were ALL female. I was overjoyed.

But of course the best thing is that this is all commonplace today.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
I wish airlines WOULD publicize way in advance when cockpit crew was female - I would choose those flights above others.

I remember way back in the 70's when I was an Air Force wife, reading about a military medical training flight where the entire crew of 16 - pilot, co-pilot, doctors, nurses, crewpeople - were ALL female. I was overjoyed.

But of course the best thing is that this is all commonplace today.
Discriminating men is fun .....

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Mar 11, 2014 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
CO History - Gordon Bethune Working the Departure Gate and a All-Woman Crew!

I posted the following on the AA Forum in 2005 in response to a thread there, and after re-reading it I thought that it would interest some of the readers of this Thread...

Some years ago, I was flying from Houston to LGW, connecting in IAH from LAX. I proceeded to the gate at IAH and presented my BP's to a man working the counter who looked familiar to me as someone I'd seen on the news and depicted in business magazines. I said, "Aren't you Gordon...?" and before I could say the last name, he interrupted and said, "I'm just another Continental Airlines employee!" Here was the "Head Dude" working the counter! Certainly not coincidentally, after the DC10 was aloft, an announcement from the flight deck advised pax that the entire flight crew was female... The first time, according to the Captain, that an all-woman crew, including the Captain, Co-Pilot, Flight Engineer and the entire Cabin Crew was flying a heavy passenger aircraft to Europe. The Captain obviously had a sense of humor, because she said that "Any passenger that isn't comfortable with that information is welcome to deplane!" Of course, we were ascending to cruising altitude at the time. As I recall, the flight was uneventful and enjoyable. I've made the journey from the US to Europe well over a hundred times in everything from B707's & DC8's with ram-jet engines to the latest Airbus and Boeing Jumbo's, on Carriers from Pan Am, Laker, et al, but that singular CO flight stands out as being one of the most satisfying.

Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by prspad
I posted the following on the AA Forum in 2005 in response to a thread there, and after re-reading it I thought that it would interest some of the readers of this Thread...

Some years ago, I was flying from Houston to LGW, connecting in IAH from LAX. I proceeded to the gate at IAH and presented my BP's to a man working the counter who looked familiar to me as someone I'd seen on the news and depicted in business magazines. I said, "Aren't you Gordon...?" and before I could say the last name, he interrupted and said, "I'm just another Continental Airlines employee!" Here was the "Head Dude" working the counter! Certainly not coincidentally, after the DC10 was aloft, an announcement from the flight deck advised pax that the entire flight crew was female... The first time, according to the Captain, that an all-woman crew, including the Captain, Co-Pilot, Flight Engineer and the entire Cabin Crew was flying a heavy passenger aircraft to Europe. The Captain obviously had a sense of humor, because she said that "Any passenger that isn't comfortable with that information is welcome to deplane!" Of course, we were ascending to cruising altitude at the time. As I recall, the flight was uneventful and enjoyable. I've made the journey from the US to Europe well over a hundred times in everything from B707's & DC8's with ram-jet engines to the latest Airbus and Boeing Jumbo's, on Carriers from Pan Am, Laker, et al, but that singular CO flight stands out as being one of the most satisfying. *
And your point is that even the "Head Dude" was rather working the counter than being on that particular flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.