Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Passenger’s Sexist Note Left on WestJet Flight Stirs Pilot’s Heated Response

Passenger’s Sexist Note Left on WestJet Flight Stirs Pilot’s Heated Response

Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Unbelievable. Westjet knows who the pax is, maybe his info should be 'leaked'.
Or maybe it does not. Someone else could have put it there.
Sorry, but I think this is a wind up intended to get attention, and boy has it worked. Probably having a few good laughs at the reaction too.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
So, what are the statistics for female involvement in the latest North American airliner crashes?

Can we do any hypothesis testing knowing that about 6% of the flightdeck workforce are females (per the article)? (i.e can we get some p-values)

Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
I don't know if you are serious or tonge-in-cheek, and obviously you are trying to devise ways to punish the passenger for his or her views and expression of same in a degrading and unpleasant way. However, such a diversion would cause distress to many completely innocent fellow passengers on that flight as well as the next leg to be flown by the equipment (assuming no overnight etc.). Further, such nonsensical overreactions in the name of security are a worse problem than any suspected threat of terrorism they seek to avoid. That one nutjob religious fundamentalist is no threat to the plane.

I realize Canada has their own laws and does not guarantee a right of free speech as we do in the U.S., but I would argue that punishing someone for expression views, even distasteful ones, is wrong. Better to point out the idiocy of the views. (That said, I do not extend this to the rights of businesses to discriminate).
Who said anything about terrorism? The security risk arises from having aboard the flight someone who clearly has irrational thoughts and is perhaps mentally unbalanced. Such people, even if they do not mean to terrorize others, can certainly pose a danger to flight. One must, of course, be careful when evaluating potentially unbalanced individuals.

I do think it would be reasonable for a captain, upon discovering such a hateful and irrational writing, to consider the writer's potential for violence and weather he ought be ejected. Had the captain concluded that the writer posed a threat to the flight, I would certainly have no issue with a precautionary diversion. The problem is not the distastefulness of the words but that those words - and the leaving of the note on the aircraft for discovery rather than sending it into the airline or politely handing it to the pilot after the flight - may be symptomatic of real psychological problems.

As to your claim that Canada "does not guarantee a right of free speech," you are in error. See section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:45 pm

While misogynist, the note is not of a threatening nature. It is rather "polite" in form, although obviously not in content. I do not see any reason to believe that the author is a danger to the operation of the aircraft any more than the average passenger, maybe even less.

I would believe that WestJet is not required to offer the benefits of WestJet Rewards to anyone in particular. Should the author of said note be known to WestJet, and should they be a member of WestJet Rewards, it could be a welcome gesture to send "David" a cheque for his WestJet dollars and close the relevant account for good. This would be a statement by the employee-controlled airline.

As a public carrier, WestJet can not and should not deny passage to any non-dangerous person based on their believes.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Who said anything about terrorism? The security risk arises from having aboard the flight someone who clearly has irrational thoughts and is perhaps mentally unbalanced. Such people, even if they do not mean to terrorize others, can certainly pose a danger to flight. One must, of course, be careful when evaluating potentially unbalanced individuals.
Hard to see an actual threat posed by the note writer, absent any physical manifestation. I'd also argue that applying "clearly has irrational thoughts and is perhaps mentally unbalanced" to a religious nutjob fundamentalist is very subjective. While I might personally be inclined to agree, our society considers religious freedom to be extremely important.

As to your claim that "does not guarantee a right of free speech," you are in error. See section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html
Glad to hear this, although I am aware of several instances in which Canadian courts exercised prior restraint (forbidding publication of material in advance, which is unconstitutional in the U.S.)
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:37 am

Scenario: Flower vase that blond female pilot placed in cockpit tips over spilling liquid all over controls. Subsequent electrical short circuiting all over the place. Not enough? Co-pilot passes out due to fumes after female pilot uses nail polish remover (females do this everywhere). Filing nails produces a fine powder that can degrade control panel function. High heels may break off. These are all safety issues.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Tailgater
Scenario: Flower vase that blond female pilot placed in cockpit tips over spilling liquid all over controls. Subsequent electrical short circuiting all over the place. Not enough? Co-pilot passes out due to fumes after female pilot uses nail polish remover (females do this everywhere). Filing nails produces a fine powder that can degrade control panel function. High heels may break off. These are all safety issues.
Another excellent demonstration of Poe's Law.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:26 pm

(delete)
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by jake108
Every time I see Capt. Karen Clark(whom I believe appears in AA's IFE promo)I cheer. Usually out of SJU. I complimented her with some smooth off-auto maneuvers once, and humbly,she attributed that to her FO. I say, more women pilots!
Are you sure it wasn't this gentleman: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...in/6010714/#53

Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:08 pm

Yes!

http://blog.westjet.com/westjet-salutes-women-aviation/
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
IIRC I've flown with Capt. Steacy to CUN in the past and I thought while different to hear a female voice in the end I care more about her abilities than gender. Sad some can't see past that barrier in this day & age.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
Another excellent demonstration of Poe's Law.
An emoticon would be useful to interpret the intent of a post/
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:30 am

Had this note been found prior to landing, I'd have been happy to have my ride delayed as the pilot diverted the flight to the nearest airfield in order to discharge "David" from the plane. One must always wonder about the risk to the flight when one has among its passengers a person who is clearly so hateful and out-of-touch with reality. Hopefully a suitable airport could have been found - e.g. one without other commercial service and a long was from nearest train or bus station.
really, there should be no need to divert. just let him off en-route.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:48 am

That wasn't a pilot; that was an 'owner'!

Cheers,
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Tailgater
These are vague hypotheticals.

How many female have you seen wearing heels while on duty? Don't just make up stuff unless you have actual facts. Of course, you could be just looking for attention by making posts like the original one as well as this one, in which case.. yes, you got your wish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.