Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Retention Bonus for Westjet RBC Mastercard?

Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I am just curious if anyone has been able to get a retention bonus for their WestJet RBC Mastercard?

Mine is coming for renewal in October and was hoping I might get some sort of retention bonus
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by joleeb
I am just curious if anyone has been able to get a retention bonus for their WestJet RBC Mastercard?

Mine is coming for renewal in October and was hoping I might get some sort of retention bonus
They do not give any.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:23 pm

I tried last year when they increased the annual fee by 25%. They told me they couldn't do it over the phone and invited me to come to the branch to discuss special offers with a special appointment. There, I was shown a leaflet with the same sh*t RBC has on their website.

No special offer whatsoever. An incredible waste of my time. And they didn't even apologize. Sadly, I did not have the time to shop around for alternatives at the time.

When they increased the annual fee, they talked about improvements of the product. A year down the road nothing has happened. So I'm not going to pay another hundred dollars for this card.

BTW: There are free cards with 1% cashback. You need to spend $55 per day on the WestJet card to have the extra 0.5% in WestJet Dollars equal the annual fee. Only North of that you start to save.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Any luck having them waive or reduce the annual fee?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:31 pm

Are you asking the same question twice in your own thread?

Clearly above replies confirmed the answer = NO
and you certainly could call RBC to ask, good luck!

Look into MBNA Alaska Air then, 25K AS miles + 1 companion, $75 annual fee - $60 GCR rebate
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Like I said, absolutely nothing. I phoned them about it and they only told me they have no fee cards that I can switch to.

Last edited by Cana2013; Sep 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Are you asking the same question twice in your own thread?

Clearly above replies confirmed the answer = NO
and you certainly could call RBC to ask, good luck!

Look into MBNA Alaska Air then, 25K AS miles + 1 companion, $75 annual fee - $60 GCR rebate
You don't need to be a DB Jerry.

And if you read the questions, there were two distinct questions - 1. Do they offer any retention bonus' and 2 Has any one had any luck having them reduce the annual fee.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:02 am

The retention bonus, if you like, is the upsale incentive AKA companion voucher.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Among RBC products, the Avion card seems to have a lot of benefits over the WS one.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:15 pm

When cancelling the card, make sure RBC pays out the WestJet dollars for the time between the most recent statement date and the cancellation date. In my case they "forgot" about those WestJet dollars, but after I enquired they are being added manually now.

Also, take note that the credit card fee is only refunded for full unused months, not for parts thereof. I'm not sure if this is according to the rules, but it has been my experience.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:21 pm

I have had good luck with churning the card. Wait 6 mos. after cancelling before applying again.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Is the companion voucher still good after you cancel the card if you haven't redeemed it yet?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
Is the companion voucher still good after you cancel the card if you haven't redeemed it yet?
I believe so. After I had cancelled my card, the companion voucher still showed up in my WestJet account - until the voucher expired.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:19 pm

I thought I'd bump this up.

Is this even possible some sort of retention bonus or fee waiver?

I am considering canceling my card for the BMO World elite...
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by lebraelat
Is this even possible some sort of retention bonus or fee waiver?
I had some problems with a damaged card in the past few weeks - some merchants not recognizing the chip+pin which made me swipe the card which triggered a fraud alert. They sent only me a new card, but not for the other authorized users - the other day they declined my wife's card. Long and short of it, I asked them to waive the annual fee because of these hassles and they agreed. They put a note on my file and said when the annual fee is charged in the next few months I should call back and they will read the note and waive it.

They mentioned that normally they would refund interest charges or give away RBC points for these types of problems, but since I never pay interest and this card doesn't provide RBC points, they were unable to give me bonus Westjet dollars. They agreed to my suggestion of a fee waiver.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.