Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Booking Classes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Erome
New point 7:

Westjet has some very cute flight attendents.

Air Canada has some very scary dragons.
So it's takes a couple of pages, but now we finally get to the meat of the matter! And I agree - cute FAs mitigate a lot of sins.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
As I had predicted, these changes make WS a much less attractive option for me to choose in the future. In the past I could typically book an exit row seat with unlimited legroom for a very small premium from any fare. Now I need to buy at least a flex fare and the plus fares appear completely ridiculous. If the exits are taken, I'm stuck with less legroom than before.

I just don't see this flying.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
As I had predicted, these changes make WS a much less attractive option for me to choose in the future. In the past I could typically book an exit row seat with unlimited legroom for a very small premium from any fare. Now I need to buy at least a flex fare and the plus fares appear completely ridiculous. If the exits are taken, I'm stuck with less legroom than before.

It's hard to figure, isn't it? On many of the flights I was on pre-new fares structure exit row seats often remained available until OLCI so it's hard to fathom who they think will buy the higher fare and the exit rows.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:04 pm

They have increased fees (like rebooking & cancellation) for the low class and reduced carry on luggage allowance for everybody. Both should increase revenue.

They are not offering the low class on many itineraries, so many passengers will HAVE to take the medium. Looking at the load factors of WestJet and Air Canada, this should increase revenue at least on flights within Canada and where Porter is no competitor.

On all routes where the low class is offered, I agree that most passengers will book the low class. However, WestJet doesn't need many passengers to pay the medium or high fare, because the number of economy plus seats is small.

Then there are tall passengers who really need the extra legroom. They will have to buy medium.

If they should really be unable to sell those few economy plus seats during online check-in to passengers on the medium or high fare, nobody prevents the agents at the checkin counter or even at the gate from offering the better seats for sale to the low class passengers. Or they keep some of these seats emtpy which will make the person in the neighbouring seat happy. If these seats are needed, they can hand out free upgrades to the most loyal passengers on the flight or whoever's birthday it happens to be.

On top of that, the new fare structure creates new options for marketing: "Bluetag Thursday! Book medium for the price of low!" If that works, it is quite the revenue management feat.

Keep in mind that WestJet does not have to fight for passengers on most routes. WestJet planes are operating at record low factors, and so are Air Canada's. Porter has lots of room, but competes only on so many routes.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the high load factors it will be interesting indeed to see how WS distributes those 18 empty seats in the first three rows that are only bookable on Plus fares - or will the only fare available be Plus once the back of the bus has sold out?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:37 pm

With the high load factors it will be interesting indeed to see how WS distributes those 18 empty seats in the first three rows that are only bookable on Plus fares - or will the only fare available be Plus once the back of the bus has sold out?
Yes. I just looked up Halifax->Ottawa for Monday. (When did they stop providing direct flighst on that route? I forget). 7 Connections through YYZ are offered. No Economy, three Flex ($308 to $377) and four are Plus only. $423 to $ 481 (oneway).

As I've mentioned earlier, the price difference between Plus and Flex is lower on itineraries that require a connection than on direct flights.

In these seven itineraries, you find four flights YHZ-YYZ. Three of these four flights show all seats in the first three rows empty. One flight shows all seats but two empty in the first three rows.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
In these seven itineraries, you find four flights YHZ-YYZ. Three of these four flights show all seats in the first three rows empty. One flight shows all seats but two empty in the first three rows.
And those two seats were probably reserved for $10 each before "Plus" existed.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:33 am

I've heard lots of rumors about what to do with unsold PE seats. One has the FA's selling them onboard for a price.

At the end of the day, with high load factors you aren't seeing many Econo fares because they've already been bought or the demand is there to justify the higher Flex fare. Contrary to the belief of some, there is demand for the Plus fares.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
Contrary to the belief of some, there is demand for the Plus fares.
Of course there is. But I would think that the demand for transportation even at the Plus pricepoint is the larger and more important demand. Most of Plus seats, I would presume, are sold when the more affordable fare buckets have been sold out. And not as a class of first choice because of the perks included. Don't you think?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:50 pm

Of course there is. But I would think that the demand for transportation even at the Plus pricepoint is the larger and more important demand. Most of Plus seats, I would presume, are sold when the more affordable fare buckets have been sold out. And not as a class of first choice because of the perks included. Don't you think?
It's a class of first choice by some. Not all, but some.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Haven't been to the WS site for awhile. When I visited today my first reaction was confusion. (I believe my initial thought was "what the heck is going on?!?") Being reasonably familiar with air travel, I quickly acclimatised, but I still found the new fare structure to be confusing (e.g., PE vs. Plus options).

This new fare structure may well end up working, but I suspect a good number of WS flyers will be thrown off by the changes.

My quick 2 cents...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Seat Vouchers

I was told today that Seat vouchers cannot be used for PE seats unless you buy a Plus fare. Vouchers can only be used for seats that your fare class is eligible for.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Hmm, sounds like Westjet doesn't like you...

I'm 6/6 on seat voucher redemption for PE seats... none of the 6 tickets were Plus fares...

I have a travel agent also looking into whether my last 2/8 can be used on a group booking (friend's wedding in Cancun, group travel deal). She's still to get back to me.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I was wondering if anyone knew where/when the priority security clearance is offered? I'm especially curious about Calgary domestic departures.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of Plus seats, I would presume, are sold when the more affordable fare buckets have been sold out.
I think you mean zeroed out rather than sold out.

WS learns a thing or two from AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.