WestJet flight from YEG to LAX

Old May 27, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

WestJet flight from YEG to LAX

Hi,

I'm flying from YEG to LAX non-stop with West Jet. I want everything to go smoothly that day from the airport on... so this is (step-by-step) what I would do:

#1) Arrive at Zone 1 (South) at YEG
#2) Check-in with WestJet
#3) Receive my boarding pass and drop my baggage off
#4) Go over to the US customs and answer any questions they may have/Get the entry stamp on my passport
#5) Go to the US Departure Lounge and wait for my flight to start boarding
#6) Arrive in Los Angeles and pick up my bags and go? (it will be treated as a domestic flight, yes?)

Is this accurate representation of what will or should happen, and is the order correct too? You don't really have to have flown from Edmonton to LAX... but if you have previous experience from Canadian airport to USA airport, you should be able to help.

Thank you!!!

EDIT: Do I need to show my return e-ticket and/or bank statement (or other documents) to the US custom person in Edmonton? I'm going for one week for vacation purposes.

Last edited by FlyerDwyer; May 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Old May 27, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
US pre-clearance at Canadian airports

Yes, YEG is one of the airports where pre-clearance is available:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c..._locations.xml
There is no easy answer to your last query. They can ask for your return ticket if they doubt your story! Bank statements, not so much. Here is what I expect:
Q - Citizenship?
A- Canadian.
Q- Where are you going?
A- LAX?
Q- What is purpose of your visit?
A- Vacation.
Q- What are you bringing that you intend to leave in the US?
A - Nothing.
Have a good day!
Old May 27, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Yes, YEG is one of the airports where pre-clearance is available:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c..._locations.xml
There is no easy answer to your last query. They can ask for your return ticket if they doubt your story! Bank statements, not so much. Here is what I expect:
Q - Citizenship?
A- Canadian.
Q- Where are you going?
A- LAX?
Q- What is purpose of your visit?
A- Vacation.
Q- What are you bringing that you intend to leave in the US?
A - Nothing.
Have a good day!
Alright. There's also a form (which has your name, address in US, how long, etc..) that you fill out at the airport, right?
Old May 27, 2012, 5:02 pm

Yes you need to have that form filled out before you reach the US Immigration officer.
Old May 27, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerDwyer
Alright. There's also a form (which has your name, address in US, how long, etc..) that you fill out at the airport, right?
That form is the Customs Declaration, also known as CBP Form 6059B. You can see the form here:

Front:
http://www.ugandamission.net/travel/...age/6059bf.jpg

Back:
http://data.presne.sk/img/form-6059B-back.jpg
Old May 27, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 14940674
That form is the Customs Declaration, also known as CBP Form 6059B. You can see the form here:

Front:
http://www.ugandamission.net/travel/...age/6059bf.jpg

Back:
http://data.presne.sk/img/form-6059B-back.jpg
That's really helpful. Now, I know what to expect from that form. Thanks.

One more question:
Once I get to LAX (Terminal 2), I just need to collect my luggage and go, right? or do I have to deal with US officials in Los Angeles too?
Old May 27, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Plat UA Silver Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
That's really helpful. Now, I know what to expect from that form. Thanks.

One more question:
Once I get to LAX (Terminal 2), I just need to collect my luggage and go, right? or do I have to deal with US officials in Los Angeles too?
You just go. It's like a domestic. Nothing to it (Except don't get run over outside the terminal. BUSY).
Old May 27, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atsak
You just go. It's like a domestic. Nothing to it (Except don't get run over outside the terminal. BUSY).
Hahaha, alright. Thanks!
Old May 27, 2012, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Why not check-in online and print off you BP's?
Old May 27, 2012, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
Why not check-in online and print off you BP's?
Because I have to check-in baggage anyways. If I only had a carry-on, that's what I would do.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Because I have to check-in baggage anyways. If I only had a carry-on, that's what I would do.
You can still OLCI (Online Check In) at the 24 hour mark prior to flight, indicate number of checked bags, select your seat, print your BP and then once you arrive at the airport just scan the barcode on the BP at one of the WS kiosks and select the "check baggage" option. The kiosk will print your bag tags and you just apply them and drop the bag off at the express bag drop nearby.

Doing OLCI is admittedly a relatively small time savings but I prefer to do it as it's convenient in streamlining the process at the airport while also giving a better choice of seats to chose from.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Hi,

#4) Go over to the US customs and answer any questions they may have/Get the entry stamp on my passport
#5) Go to the US Departure Lounge and wait for my flight to start boarding
#6) Arrive in Los Angeles and pick up my bags and go? (it will be treated as a domestic flight, yes?)

Small change:
#3) Receive my boarding pass and have checked baggage tagged by WestJet agent but keep it with me
#5) Drop checked baggage, which is already tagged, on the belt after customs
#6) Proceed through security (depending on the airport security sometimes is at an earlier step and with your checked baggage (see YOW, for example))
#7) Go to the US Departure Lounge and wait for my flight to start boarding
#8) Arrive in Los Angeles and pick up my bags and go? (it will be treated as a domestic flight, yes?) (A: yes)

I've never actually flown through US pre-clearance from YEG but this is the process at every other Canadian airport so I assume I'm correct.

At most Canadian airports if you don't have a Nexus Card I recommend arriving at the airport a minimum of two hours before your scheduled departure because US Customs can get overloaded if there are a lot of flights out at the same time.

Last edited by CanadianConnection33; May 28, 2012 at 10:44 am Reason: Typo
Old May 28, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
You can still OLCI (Online Check In) at the 24 hour mark prior to flight, indicate number of checked bags, select your seat, print your BP and then once you arrive at the airport just scan the barcode on the BP at one of the WS kiosks and select the "check baggage" option. The kiosk will print your bag tags and you just apply them and drop the bag off at the express bag drop nearby.

Doing OLCI is admittedly a relatively small time savings but I prefer to do it as it's convenient in streamlining the process at the airport while also giving a better choice of seats to chose from.
Yeah, the seat choice is definitely something to consider.

The bag tags and using express bag tag service does not work for US departures according to the WestJet's website. Looking at the second post I quoted, I assume I should be able to print bag tags, but sending them right away is not an option until you clear customs.

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
Small change:
#3) Receive my boarding pass and have checked baggage tagged by WestJet agent but keep it with me
#5) Drop checked baggage, which is already tagged, on the belt after customs
#6) Proceed through security (depending on the airport security sometimes is at an earlier step and with your checked baggage (see YOW, for example))
#7) Go to the US Departure Lounge and wait for my flight to start boarding
#8) Arrive in Los Angeles and pick up my bags and go? (it will be treated as a domestic flight, yes?) (A: yes)

I've never actually flown through US pre-clearance from YEG but this is the process at every other Canadian airport so I assume I'm correct.

At most Canadian airports if you don't have a Nexus Card I recommend arriving at the airport a minimum of two hours before your scheduled departure because US Customs can get overloaded if there are a lot of flights out at the same time.
Wow, I totally forgot about security.

Alright, thank you so much. Now, I know exactly what to do. I plan on getting there two and a half hours before my flight.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If someone has not flown from YEG they should not answer the question. I will respect my own comment as I have not flown since the new section opened but note in the link below that you now leave your checked bags at check in!

http://www.flyeia.com/expansion2012.aspx

Also, Westjet leaves at 9 am. I would not suggest arriving 2.5 hours early as you WILL then get the tail end of the rush time. Arrive 90-120 minutes before departure and you will be fine.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Executive, NEXUS, AC, Omni, Fairmont
Once you check in at the Westjet desk and your bags are tagged, you take your luggage with you to security. Right before security, there is a luggage drop off point where you place your own luggage on the conveyor belt. You then walk up to security and go through that process before you get in line for customs. Once you have cleared customs, you'll walk down a long hallway to the US departures area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.