Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

2011-2012 Alberta-Hawaii non-stop service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum

From the Press Release:

CALGARY, Oct. 6, 2011 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced it has leased a Boeing 757-200 from Thomas Cook Airlines to provide guests with non-stop, daytime service between Calgary and Honolulu and Maui, and between Edmonton and Maui.

Pending regulatory approval, flights are scheduled to begin December 15, 2011, and continue through April 22, 2012, as follows:

Route Weekly Frequency
Calgary to Honolulu One (Friday)
Calgary to Maui Three (Monday, Thursday, Saturday)
Edmonton to Maui Two (Wednesday, Sunday)

One-way fares from Calgary to Honolulu start as low as $269, and from Calgary and Edmonton to Maui from $279, plus applicable fees and taxes.

"Leasing this aircraft will allow us to extend our non-stop service to more guests than ever before," said Hugh Dunleavy, WestJet's Executive Vice-President, Strategy and Planning. "With a larger Boeing 757-200 aircraft and an 18-week travel window, there are certainly far more opportunities to take advantage of this seasonal service than in previous years."

This year, WestJet flight attendants will be on board the Boeing 757-200 to ensure the same great WestJet guest experience. Thomas Cook U.K. will provide the aircraft and pilots. Founded in 1841, Thomas Cook Group plc is one of the world's leading leisure travel companies. It has a fleet of 93 aircraft, operates under six geographic segments in 21 countries and has more than 22.5 million customers worldwide.

"Thomas Cook and WestJet have developed a strong partnership over a number of years," said Steve Butchart, Vice-President, Thomas Cook. "We are delighted that WestJet has chosen Thomas Cook to operate its winter 2011-2012 Alberta-Hawaii program, which serves to demonstrate the strength of the relationship."

WestJet Vacations is pleased to offer Disney's newest property, Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, which opened last month on the west coast of Oahu (Honolulu). This adds to the wide array of hotels and condominiums offered by WestJet Vacations, including 37 accommodation options in Oahu (Honolulu) and 36 in Maui.

"We are proud to offer so many different choices of accommodation for our Hawaii-bound guests," said Yehudi Altman, WestJet Vacations' Director, Product. "We have everything from family-oriented resorts to spas to beachfront hotels in the heart of the action. We also offer 25 beautiful condominium properties in Honolulu and Maui ranging from studio to one, two and three bedrooms, many of which are located close to or on the beach."

For more information on this service, including the Thomas Cook Airlines Boeing 757-200, please visit westjet.com/Alberta-Hawaii.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Nice to have n/s options but this announcement is a few months late!!!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Nice to have n/s options but this announcement is a few months late!!!
Indeed...Very good news! I'm glad to see WS is starting more specific new route. Isn't entire 757 will have ETOPS overwater certificate by CAA approved? I'm sure those route will done extremely very well. Isn't only for the winter seasonal but, not go for year-round long.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Indeed...Very good news! I'm glad to see WS is starting more specific new route. Isn't entire 757 will have ETOPS overwater certificate by CAA approved? I'm sure those route will done extremely very well. Isn't only for the winter seasonal but, not go for year-round long.
I'm sure the planes will have the proper certifications. Westjet did offer the same routes last year using 757's but they leased the aircraft from a different company.

I find it interesting that Thomas Cook is flying the planes this year. Doesn't Jazz (aka Chorus) have a contract to fly 757's for Thomas Cook? Wouldn't it be funny if these turned out to be Jazz pilots flying the planes?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:29 am

It's been communicated to us at WS that Jazz pilots WILL NOT be operating our leased TC 757. Should be interesting to hear about the synergy between TC pilots and WS flight attendants, though!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:02 pm

Jazz pilots aren't etops certified. They won't be doing the flying.
I can't imagine it taking that much training to get.
Some WS pilots don't have etops certification either.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I'm sure the planes will have the proper certifications. Westjet did offer the same routes last year using 757's but they leased the aircraft from a different company.
And, according to those within WS I've spoken to on the subject, had more than a few not complimentary comments about the crew on those flights likely leading to this arrangement. WS rightly guards it's in-flight experience like Tim's guards it's service uniformity.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:21 am

Programs: AC*E, A3*S, SPG Gold
Looks like this bird has landed at YYC.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TCX37P

Any plans to put on a temporary WJ livery like last year?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:51 am

No, but there will be Westjet literature in the seat pockets such as the inflight Up! magazine.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
No, but there will be Westjet literature in the seat pockets such as the inflight Up! magazine.
An in flight magazine in your seat pocket? Awesome!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:52 pm

I was trying to state that while no WS markings will be painted on the outside, there will be some WS marketing inside, and of course WS flight attendants will be crewing the cabin this year.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: AC*E, A3*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YYCguy
I was trying to state that while no WS markings will be painted on the outside, there will be some WS marketing inside, and of course WS flight attendants will be crewing the cabin this year.
Thanks for the response.

Don't find myself on WS too often but couldn't say no to the price and departure time for the flight on Friday - will be in Honolulu for lunch!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:45 am

Enjoy your trip! Please post your comments on your flights on here. Would love to hear what people thought of "Westjet with a twist". And thanks for choosing WS for your Hawaii vacay!

I just wanted to add that while I do believe TC's 757 has drop down movie consoles, there are no individual AVODs, so if the movie on the console doesn't interest you, I'd recommend bringing along your laptop or ipod.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
An in flight magazine in your seat pocket? Awesome!
At least Up is better than the crap they call Hemispheres on UA......
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:58 pm

Does anyone know whether or not WS is using the 235 or 187 seat versions of TCs 757? Big difference in seat pitch between them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.