Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 1, 11, 8:40 pm   #1

Programs: Amex Platinum, CX Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Westjet bidding for slots at lga & dca

This is an excerpt from an article:

"Besides Southwest and JetBlue, the auction registrants are WestJet Airlines Ltd., Canada’s largest discount carrier; Frontier Airlines, a unit of Republic Airways Holdings Inc.; Spirit Airlines Inc.; Allegiant Travel Co.; and closely held Sun Country Airlines Inc."

If Westjet got access to these 2 markets they could make things a bit more interesting
Altaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 11, 7:47 pm   #2

Hi Altaflyer! Do you know which article this quote came from? I'd love to read the whole article!
YYCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 11, 8:18 pm   #3
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending

Can or would WS serve both EWR and LGA? Wasn't that long ago when they left LGA due quietly vowing to return, at least IIRC.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 10, 11 at 4:39 am.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 11, 4:40 am   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending

http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...549/story.html

WestJet Airlines Ltd. says it intends to aggressively go after new landing slots in New York and Washington as it continues to try to court corporate travellers in the East.

The Calgary-based carrier confirmed its intention to participate in a slot auction at New York's LaGuardia Airport and at Washington's Reagan International. Gregg Saretsky, WestJet Airlines Ltd. chief executive, said he expects the competition to be fierce.

The landing slots came available as a regulatory condition on a planned slot swap between US Airways and Delta Air Lines at the airports. There are two slot packages at LaGuardia and one at Reagan, each with eight landing slots, up for grabs in a Dutch auction, Saretsky said.
Old Nov 10, 11, 8:51 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, some other CCs
Let's hope that this works so I can redeem my AAdvantage pts on WS.....
AA_EXP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 11, 10:44 am   #6

Programs: AA-EXP (1.6MM), HP-Gold, UA-2P, AS-MVP, BA-Slvr, VS-Slvr, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold, IC-Plat, BW-Platinum
I wish WS would have put more effort into serving JFK.
Old Nov 10, 11, 4:04 pm   #7

I'd love a YHZ-LGA connection. I was hoping for Porter (that would be EWR though), but if it is WestJet to LGA, I'll fly WestJet!

LGA is generally the much nicer airport to get to, around and from. YMMV, depending on where you want to go. :-)
sokolov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 11, 9:50 am   #8

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
I would love for West Jet to fly to New York from Toronto. I think JFK would be best for connection onto AA, Jet Blue and for me CX.
CX828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 11, 11:14 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
I would love for West Jet to fly to New York from Toronto. I think JFK would be best for connection onto AA, Jet Blue and for me CX.
$30 cab to Manhatten from LGA, $50+ from EWR and JFK!

HangTen is offline   Reply With Quote