Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 19, 11, 7:42 pm   #1

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA1K, AA EXP
Do you think AA would allow award travel on Westjet eventually?

I fly to Canada often to see family and have lots of AA miles to burn. Wondering if anyone thinks the codeshare with AA will eventually turn to award redemption on Westjet? Would love another option to get to YEG as I am limited being from the East Coast.

Thanks
cdoobiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 2:20 pm   #2

Programs: AA-EXP (1.6MM), HP-Gold, UA-2P, AS-MVP, BA-Slvr, VS-Slvr, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold, IC-Plat, BW-Platinum
I would say yes. However, for some reason things move glacially in regards to this AA-WS relationship. I suspect the problem is on the WS side.
Old Aug 21, 11, 11:22 am   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoobiest View Post
I fly to Canada often to see family and have lots of AA miles to burn. Wondering if anyone thinks the codeshare with AA will eventually turn to award redemption on Westjet? Would love another option to get to YEG as I am limited being from the East Coast.

Thanks
I don't see why not. Westjet already allows air miles points to be redeemed on them. Maybe AA wants accumulation and redemption and that is what the hold up is. Otherwise if it was just redeeming awards I can't see why that would be a problem.
Ace Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 11, 12:38 am   #4

Yes - it will happen. Things may move "glacially" but they're done for the right reasons.
Hypnotize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 11, 9:38 am   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO View Post
I would say yes. However, for some reason things move glacially in regards to this AA-WS relationship. I suspect the problem is on the WS side.
No problem on the WS side, once the first codeshare deal is done and implemented with a partner, it is a trivial exercise to add routes with that partner from a systems and process perspective. Regulation and commercial and marketing considerations dictate the timing.
aerobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 11, 3:35 pm   #6

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA1K, AA EXP
Thanks. I was hoping they would take the "next step". Looking forward to using my AA miles finally!
cdoobiest is offline   Reply With Quote