Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 28, 11, 8:32 am   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YQR
Posts: 1,753
Westjet and American to Code Share

"AMERICAN AIRLINES AND CANADA'S WESTJET AIRLINES ANNOUNCE COMPREHENSIVE CODESHARE AND FREQUENT FLYER RELATIONSHIP

Members of American Airlines AAdvantage and WestJet's Frequent Flyer Programs will be Able to Earn Miles or Rewards on Codeshare Flights

FORT WORTH, TX and CALGARY, Feb. 28 /CNW/ - American Airlines and WestJet Airlines announced today they have entered into a comprehensive codeshare agreement, providing customers with more choices and greater connectivity when travelling between the United States and Canada.

The codeshare relationship, which is subject to regulatory approvals, will allow American to place its AA* code on WestJet flights, and WestJet to place its WS* code on flights of American Airlines and American Eagle."

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=537
arf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 11, 8:57 am   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: YTZ
Programs: Hertz PC; National EE; CX, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Gold; AC Tangerine
Posts: 5,484
The ability to get AA miles is exciting. If they are Status miles, even more exciting!

B
briantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 11, 9:43 am   #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YQR
Programs: AC*P, *A Silver, NEXUS
Posts: 1,015
This is very useful for those of us (e.g. YQR, YXE) that have no AA flights.

It's always nice to have options.
__________________
Booked: YQR-YYZ-YQR; YQR-YYZ-LHR / CDG-YYZ-YQR
PhotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 11, 11:34 am   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Posts: 579
Earning AA miles is exciting indeed.
erasmus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 11, 1:08 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YQR
Posts: 1,753
I'm hoping they will roll out more than Chicago and Boston ex-Canada quickly. That will really help with access to some places that only AA flies, for example. I tried to get to San Angelo, TX, a few weeks ago but ended up bailing on the trip because I would have had to change carriers--and tickets--in Dallas as AA was the only carrier that flew in there. I'm sure I won't have tons of reasons to go to these more obscure places, but options are options and the more the better.
arf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 11, 1:27 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: YTZ
Programs: Hertz PC; National EE; CX, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Gold; AC Tangerine
Posts: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf04 View Post
I'm hoping they will roll out more than Chicago and Boston ex-Canada quickly. That will really help with access to some places that only AA flies, for example. I tried to get to San Angelo, TX, a few weeks ago but ended up bailing on the trip because I would have had to change carriers--and tickets--in Dallas as AA was the only carrier that flew in there. I'm sure I won't have tons of reasons to go to these more obscure places, but options are options and the more the better.
I doubt you will ever see a WS code on that flight to SJT; what this would give you is the possibility of AA code share the whole way (via YYZ or YYC or where-ever)

Given that, you can still go from YQR to SJT on one ticket. Bookable through AA, today. I just tried:



This would all be on one ticket, AA stock.

There are cheaper options, and your TA can book it as well. Hard to find off of the AA site, because of their fight with Orbitz et. al.
briantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 11, 5:48 am   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: YTZ
Programs: Hertz PC; National EE; CX, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Gold; AC Tangerine
Posts: 5,484
American Airlines and WestJet has issued a joint-application to the US Department of Transportation seeking approval for codeshare service.

Planned Codeshare routes as follows, subject to approval:

WestJet Operated by American Airlines
Calgary – Chicago
Calgary – Dallas
Halifax – New York JFK
Montreal – Chicago
Montreal – Dallas
Montreal – Miami
Montreal – New York JFK
Ottawa – Chicago
Toronto – Boston
Toronto – Chicago
Toronto – Dallas
Toronto – Los Angeles
Toronto – Miami
Toronto – New York JFK
Vancouver – Dallas

Between Ft. Myers/Las Vegas/Los Angeles/Miami/Orange County/Palm Springs/Phoenix/San Diego/San Francisco and:
Albuquerque, Austin, Boston, Chicago O’Hare, Dallas, Denver, El Paso, Ft. Myers, Fresno, Gainesville, Honolulu, Houston, Jacksonville, Kahului, Key West, Kona, Las Vegas, Lihue, Los Angeles, Miami, Monterey, Nashville, New York JFK, Newark, Oklahoma City, Orange County, Orlando, Palm Springs, Pensacola, Phoenix, Raleigh, Reno, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, San Juan, Santa Barbara, Santa Fe, St. Croix, St. Louis, Tallahassee, Tampa, Tucson, Washington Dulles

American Airlines operated by WestJet
All US – Canada Routes

Between Toronto/Calgary/Montreal/Vancouver and:
Abbotsford, Calgary, Charlottetown, Comox, Deer Lake, Edmonton, Ft. McMurray, Grand Prairie, Halifax, Hamilton, Kamloops, Kelowna, Kitchener, London ON, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa, Prince George, Quebec City, Regina, Saskatoon, St. John’s Nfld, Sydney NS, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Windsor, Winnipeg and Yellowknife

Docket Number: DOT-OST-2011-0040


Source: Airline Routes blog by jimyvr
briantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 11, 2:38 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: SPG Plat, PriorityClub Plat, EmeraldClub Exec, AC E (*G)
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantoronto View Post
Between Toronto/Calgary/Montreal/Vancouver and:
Abbotsford, Calgary, Charlottetown, Comox, Deer Lake, Edmonton, Ft. McMurray, Grand Prairie, Halifax, Hamilton, Kamloops, Kelowna, Kitchener, London ON, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa, Prince George, Quebec City, Regina, Saskatoon, St. John’s Nfld, Sydney NS, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Windsor, Winnipeg and Yellowknife

Docket Number: DOT-OST-2011-0040


Source: Airline Routes blog by jimyvr
if those flights earn AA miles - this could be big. I guess it depends on the details (EQM, 100%?, etc) but this could have much more impact than the Westjet Frequent Guest Programme if so.
calgary_jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 11, 9:38 pm   #9
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: YVR
Posts: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgary_jay View Post
if those flights earn AA miles - this could be big. I guess it depends on the details (EQM, 100%?, etc) but this could have much more impact than the Westjet Frequent Guest Programme if so.
The deal includes FFP too so you can definitely earn miles on AA.
__________________
Airline Route Views and comments on this forum are strictly personal, and does not reflect those of current employer.
jimyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 11, 11:58 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml1126 View Post
The deal includes FFP too so you can definitely earn miles on AA.
While earning AA miles on Westjet flights would be nice the important question from my perspective is will we be able to use AA miles to book Westjet flights that connect on to an AA itinerary.

For instance, if I can use 20K AA miles for an off peak award from YQR to EZE ( YQR to YYC on Westjet, YYC to DFW to EZE on AA ) that would make me very happy.

Crossing fingers and toes and hoping !
thebobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 11, 7:18 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 553
... Seems like a lame start to the codeshares.

WestJet operating
YYZ-YEG
YUL-YWG

AA operating
YYZ-LAX
YYZ-DFW

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=543
TheGreatestX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 11, 10:50 am   #12
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
... Seems like a lame start to the codeshares.

WestJet operating
YYZ-YEG
YUL-YWG

AA operating
YYZ-LAX
YYZ-DFW

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=543
Probably better to start small and work out the kinks in the system! Rome wasn't built in a day!

HangTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 11, 10:59 am   #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
... Seems like a lame start to the codeshares.

WestJet operating
YYZ-YEG
YUL-YWG

AA operating
YYZ-LAX
YYZ-DFW

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=543
You can check with the interactive route map at http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/flig...oute-map.shtml or by looking at step 1 of flight booking, there are 11 O&Ds eligible for American codeshare flights to/from DFW or LAX via Toronto:
YYG, YDF, YHZ, YQM, YUL, YOW, YQB, YYT, YQY, YQT, YWG
aerobod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 11, 12:59 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YYZ/YUL
Programs: AC 50K UA-MP GOLD DL CX-MPC-G
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangTen View Post
Probably better to start small and work out the kinks in the system! Rome wasn't built in a day!

Wait until the AA golds and Platinums find out there is no priority boarding, check in or first class. Wonder how many times they will be back.
yul36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 11, 1:03 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: YTZ
Programs: Hertz PC; National EE; CX, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Gold; AC Tangerine
Posts: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
You can check with the interactive route map at http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/flig...oute-map.shtml or by looking at step 1 of flight booking, there are 11 O&Ds eligible for American codeshare flights to/from DFW or LAX via Toronto:
YYG, YDF, YHZ, YQM, YUL, YOW, YQB, YYT, YQY, YQT, YWG
How do you see these are all code shared?
briantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:49 am.