Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will WS fill the glaring holes in its network?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will WS fill the glaring holes in its network?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question When will WS fill the glaring holes in its network?

In looking at their route map, I see so many missing business routes

ORD -
This is a glaring gap in WS' network. Now that the WN partnership is dead and WS has a new agreement with AA, they could easily lease one of the L gates in T3. MDW doesn't serve WS' interests if they are looking to attract business pax.

BOS -
Like other regions, WS is leaving the northeast region blank.

JFK -
I know they fly to EWR, but it would seem that there are more interlining opportunities at JFK.

DFW -
Another chance to deepen ties with AA.

MEX -
Its simply amazing that they're leaving this purely business route for AC.

I would include SEA , PHL and DEN as well.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

ORD -
This is a glaring gap in WS' network. Now that the WN partnership is dead and WS has a new agreement with AA, they could easily lease one of the L gates in T3. MDW doesn't serve WS' interests if they are looking to attract business pax.

BOS -

JFK -
I know they fly to EWR, but it would seem that there are more interlining opportunities at JFK.

DFW -

MEX -

I would guess they'd be happy to announce these routes if they thought they could make money flying them!

If they announced them, would YOU fly them, or just take advantage of the lower fares and continue to collect your skymiles?

Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: lost all status during pandemic...

ORD -

BOS -

JFK -

DFW -

MEX -

maybe when they start codeshares with AA, they will expand to more 'business' hubs.

Thier business model in US/Int seems to be solely based on leisure travellers from Canada. I don't imagine they have a huge brand presence in USA. That might change with codeshares depending on what the relationship with AA evolves into.

Even with AA codeshares though, I would think they would just funnel arriving AA passengers into Canada onto their final destination to a Canadian airport not served by AA.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HangTen
I would guess they'd be happy to announce these routes if they thought they could make money flying them!
Well there comes a point when they'll have to increase the value of their network and flying the leisure routes alone won't cut it. Leaving BOS and ORD out of route planning is unbelievable.

If they announced them, would YOU fly them, or just take advantage of the lower fares and continue to collect your skymiles?

Skymiles? I never fly Delta. I would use them if they connected to/from the business centers I fly to.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calgary_jay
Thier business model in US/Int seems to be solely based on leisure travellers from Canada. I don't imagine they have a huge brand presence in USA. That might change with codeshares depending on what the relationship with AA evolves into.
I really hope they move faster on this. They also need to get a deal done with JL and QF.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

JFK -
WS did fly into JFK from Western Canada until fairly recently, see this article, but can't see them adding it back in unless these recent alliances grow stronger. BA for example flies ex JFK.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
WS did fly into JFK from Western Canada until fairly recently, see this article, but can't see them adding it back in unless these recent alliances grow stronger. BA for example flies ex JFK.
I think you mean Air Canada used to fly to JFK from western Canada!

Westjet only has flown to Newark from Western Canada for about 3 summer seasons now. I don't think many people would want to fly from Calgary to JFK to conect to British Air to England when they could just take the non-stop from Calgary or connect in Toronto and not have to bother crossing into the US.

I don't understand why people think a business would choose to fly on a route that had little chance of making a profit. If Westjet thought they could make money flying to Chicago or Boston, they'd have already done it!

It would be like a grocery store stocking an expensive fruit on it's limited shelf space for the benefit of a couple of it's customers, knowing that most of it would go rotten and have to be thrown out and cause a big loss!

What would be the point? Maybe it's more profitable to stick with apples, oranges and bananas that make lots of money and leave the expensive stuff that has limited demand to the specialty retailers?

Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I think you mean Air Canada used to fly to JFK from western Canada!
Yup, my mistake and apologies for remembering it wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.