Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Attention all Travel Agents (regarding WS Inflight Service)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone! Travel Agents, please be aware that WS does not, and never has, offered a complimentary meal on our scheduled flights. Virtually all of our flights now are scheduled, with perhaps the exception of Aruba, but even that is treated as a scheduled flight regarding inflight service.

Please advise your customers that they must purchase their food items on the plane. Sandwiches and snacks are available onboard to buy with a major CC or a "fly'n'buy voucher" which can be purchased at the checkin counters at the airports. This does not guarantee availablity on the plane however.

Also, for your customers with special dietary needs such as vegetarian options, the sandwiches all have meat in them. We have a tomato herb instant soup and Fruitsource MiniBites which are our only vegetarian options.

Complimentary options are our non alcoholic beverages and cookies or bits'n'bites.

I hope this helps to clarify what your customers, our guests, can expect when flying Westjet. Thank you for your cooperation!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Oh and furthermore all options just increased 8% in price!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:27 pm

The increase is due to the implementation of HST in BC & ONT (added cost of doing business).
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Actually, while true that most items increased in price due to tax implications, two items decreased in price: Twizzlers and Fruitsource MiniBites. The new snack box is also a greater value with healthier options in it PLUS a seventh item in the box.

The $7 pillow and blanket package is being phased out in favour of just a good quality blanket for only $3 that is yours to keep.

Note that as of today, Sept. 9th, that the buy on board menu on the Westjet website has not been updated with the new prices and products. Please refer to the menu cards in your seat pocket for up to date information.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hypnotize
The increase is due to the implementation of HST in BC & ONT (added cost of doing business).
Ontario does not count as all the products would have been subject to PST before. BC maybe a valid point however as food was PST exempt.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:53 pm

The items were expensive before. I was surprised to find out on my flight last weekend that they are now even more expensive. HST should be irrelevant, since anything sold on the planes that is subject to HST used to be subject to PST and GST, at least in Ontario.

When the buy-on-board products were first introduced, they were sold as a service for passengers in place of full meal service. Now, they are becoming a money-grab. There is no excuse for this, especially now that most fares are much higher. (Yes, I know the most expensive fares have been cut by 25%, but how many tickets were sold at those fares?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.