Westjet and American to Code Share

Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Westjet and American to Code Share

"AMERICAN AIRLINES AND CANADA'S WESTJET AIRLINES ANNOUNCE COMPREHENSIVE CODESHARE AND FREQUENT FLYER RELATIONSHIP

Members of American Airlines AAdvantage and WestJet's Frequent Flyer Programs will be Able to Earn Miles or Rewards on Codeshare Flights

FORT WORTH, TX and CALGARY, Feb. 28 /CNW/ - American Airlines and WestJet Airlines announced today they have entered into a comprehensive codeshare agreement, providing customers with more choices and greater connectivity when travelling between the United States and Canada.

The codeshare relationship, which is subject to regulatory approvals, will allow American to place its AA* code on WestJet flights, and WestJet to place its WS* code on flights of American Airlines and American Eagle."

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=537
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:57 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
The ability to get AA miles is exciting. If they are Status miles, even more exciting!

B
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
This is very useful for those of us (e.g. YQR, YXE) that have no AA flights.

It's always nice to have options.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Earning AA miles is exciting indeed.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm hoping they will roll out more than Chicago and Boston ex-Canada quickly. That will really help with access to some places that only AA flies, for example. I tried to get to San Angelo, TX, a few weeks ago but ended up bailing on the trip because I would have had to change carriers--and tickets--in Dallas as AA was the only carrier that flew in there. I'm sure I won't have tons of reasons to go to these more obscure places, but options are options and the more the better.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
I'm hoping they will roll out more than Chicago and Boston ex-Canada quickly. That will really help with access to some places that only AA flies, for example. I tried to get to San Angelo, TX, a few weeks ago but ended up bailing on the trip because I would have had to change carriers--and tickets--in Dallas as AA was the only carrier that flew in there. I'm sure I won't have tons of reasons to go to these more obscure places, but options are options and the more the better.
I doubt you will ever see a WS code on that flight to SJT; what this would give you is the possibility of AA code share the whole way (via YYZ or YYC or where-ever)

Given that, you can still go from YQR to SJT on one ticket. Bookable through AA, today. I just tried:

This would all be on one ticket, AA stock.

There are cheaper options, and your TA can book it as well. Hard to find off of the AA site, because of their fight with Orbitz et. al.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:48 am

American Airlines and WestJet has issued a joint-application to the US Department of Transportation seeking approval for codeshare service.

Planned Codeshare routes as follows, subject to approval:

WestJet Operated by American Airlines
Calgary Chicago
Calgary Dallas
Halifax New York JFK
Montreal Chicago
Montreal Dallas
Montreal Miami
Montreal New York JFK
Ottawa Chicago
Toronto Boston
Toronto Chicago
Toronto Dallas
Toronto Los Angeles
Toronto Miami
Toronto New York JFK
Vancouver Dallas

Between Ft. Myers/Las Vegas/Los Angeles/Miami/Orange County/Palm Springs/Phoenix/San Diego/San Francisco and:
Albuquerque, Austin, Boston, Chicago OHare, Dallas, Denver, El Paso, Ft. Myers, Fresno, Gainesville, Honolulu, Houston, Jacksonville, Kahului, Key West, Kona, Las Vegas, Lihue, Los Angeles, Miami, Monterey, Nashville, New York JFK, Newark, Oklahoma City, Orange County, Orlando, Palm Springs, Pensacola, Phoenix, Raleigh, Reno, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, San Juan, Santa Barbara, Santa Fe, St. Croix, St. Louis, Tallahassee, Tampa, Tucson, Washington Dulles

American Airlines operated by WestJet
All US Canada Routes

Between Toronto/Calgary/Montreal/Vancouver and:
Abbotsford, Calgary, Charlottetown, Comox, Deer Lake, Edmonton, Ft. McMurray, Grand Prairie, Halifax, Hamilton, Kamloops, Kelowna, Kitchener, London ON, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa, Prince George, Quebec City, Regina, Saskatoon, St. Johns Nfld, Sydney NS, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Windsor, Winnipeg and Yellowknife

Docket Number: DOT-OST-2011-0040

Source: Airline Routes blog by jimyvr
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: lost all status during pandemic...
Originally Posted by briantoronto
Between Toronto/Calgary/Montreal/Vancouver and:
Abbotsford, Calgary, Charlottetown, Comox, Deer Lake, Edmonton, Ft. McMurray, Grand Prairie, Halifax, Hamilton, Kamloops, Kelowna, Kitchener, London ON, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa, Prince George, Quebec City, Regina, Saskatoon, St. John’s Nfld, Sydney NS, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Windsor, Winnipeg and Yellowknife

Docket Number: DOT-OST-2011-0040

Source: Airline Routes blog by jimyvr
if those flights earn AA miles - this could be big. I guess it depends on the details (EQM, 100%?, etc) but this could have much more impact than the Westjet Frequent Guest Programme if so.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by calgary_jay
if those flights earn AA miles - this could be big. I guess it depends on the details (EQM, 100%?, etc) but this could have much more impact than the Westjet Frequent Guest Programme if so.
The deal includes FFP too so you can definitely earn miles on AA.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by jiml1126
The deal includes FFP too so you can definitely earn miles on AA.
While earning AA miles on Westjet flights would be nice the important question from my perspective is will we be able to use AA miles to book Westjet flights that connect on to an AA itinerary.

For instance, if I can use 20K AA miles for an off peak award from YQR to EZE ( YQR to YYC on Westjet, YYC to DFW to EZE on AA ) that would make me very happy.

Crossing fingers and toes and hoping !
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:18 am

... Seems like a lame start to the codeshares.

WestJet operating
YYZ-YEG
YUL-YWG

AA operating
YYZ-LAX
YYZ-DFW

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=543
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX

WestJet operating
YYZ-YEG
YUL-YWG

AA operating
YYZ-LAX
YYZ-DFW

Probably better to start small and work out the kinks in the system! Rome wasn't built in a day!

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX

WestJet operating
YYZ-YEG
YUL-YWG

AA operating
YYZ-LAX
YYZ-DFW

You can check with the interactive route map at http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/flig...oute-map.shtml or by looking at step 1 of flight booking, there are 11 O&Ds eligible for American codeshare flights to/from DFW or LAX via Toronto:
YYG, YDF, YHZ, YQM, YUL, YOW, YQB, YYT, YQY, YQT, YWG
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by HangTen
Probably better to start small and work out the kinks in the system! Rome wasn't built in a day!

Wait until the AA golds and Platinums find out there is no priority boarding, check in or first class. Wonder how many times they will be back.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
You can check with the interactive route map at http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/flig...oute-map.shtml or by looking at step 1 of flight booking, there are 11 O&Ds eligible for American codeshare flights to/from DFW or LAX via Toronto:
YYG, YDF, YHZ, YQM, YUL, YOW, YQB, YYT, YQY, YQT, YWG
How do you see these are all code shared?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.