Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet leases B757 for Alberta to Hawaii Flts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:51 am
Original Poster

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/WestJe...html?x=0&.v=10
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:18 am

So it is finalized. We'd heard rumblings about it for a couple of months but wasn't sure if it was really going to come to reality. I'm surprised though to read in the article that there is only one aircraft. I think there were originally supposed to be 3 in the plan, one for the YYC-Hawaii flights, one for the YEG-Hawaii flights and one as a mechanical spare.

Does anybody know what the seating configuration of this particular tail is (business + economy or all economy, seat pitch, etc)?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:42 am

http://www.flynaa.com/fleetinformation.aspx

The seat map shows their 757 with the premium seats however WestJet is leasing the all economy version for which there is no seat map on North American Airlines website
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superdawg
http://www.flynaa.com/fleetinformation.aspx

The seat map shows their 757 with the premium seats however WestJet is leasing the all economy version for which there is no seat map on North American Airlines website
well the mixed class 757 holds 196 people so if it was all Y there would be alot more seating unless they are giving a very generous seat pitch which I doubt. The article says it will hold 193 guests so they are probably blocking seats for the westjet ambassadors on board. So they will either A sell the bigger seats up front for more or they will only be available for a higher fee for advance seat selection.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face Good news sort of...

I don't see these flights as being cheap as WS has to pay for NA labor and MX. I'd really be interested to see the fares when they're published.

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Does anybody know what the seating configuration of this particular tail is (business + economy or all economy, seat pitch, etc)?
I am sure this will be one of NA's all coach aircraft. WS has no current process to sell J seats outside of counter upgrades.

Unless WS' has the seating readjusted(I doubt since its a wet-lease), the pitch is set at a tight 31 inches. Seats 1ABC have 34 inch pitch with a cutout for your feet. Seats 1DEF have no cutout.

A WestJet service ambassador will be on board each 757-200 flight to ensure that the WestJet guest experience is consistently delivered to the airline's standards and expectations.
Will be hard to deliver the WS experience without the PTV's and tight seat pitch.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:02 pm

In our internal Q&A memo about this, the seat pitch is stated to be 32", which is what we have on our 737's. And the satellite TV system on our 737s doesn't work anyways very far past Vancouver Island.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
The aircraft will be specifically configured for Westjet's requirements, so looking at the seat maps of previous NA instances will be of no use.

Seat reconfiguration is a specialty for NA as they handle everything charter from sun destinations to sports teams, military, and presidential candidates. It will take about 2 days for the seat reconfiguration to be complete.

As for pitch, 32 inches will be the minimum and many seats could be 1-2 inches more. UA fits 182 pax in their 752s with a business class cabin 2X2. Just putting 3X3 economy seats into a UA configuration would yield 194 seats, or 193 seats for sale and 1 seat for WS Ambassador. This still allows for front cabin of 34 inch pitch assuming there is no increase in storage lockers (the galley's and lavs cannot be easily moved, so the only option is to add or subtract closets).
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Another question, why no flight dates, times and pricing to go along with the announcement???

The quick answer is beacuse the flights are still subject to gov't approval (for NA to operate the flights on behalf of WS).

But this raises some interesting questions: How much business will Westjet lose over the Christmas Holiday's because they will not be able to offer product for sale. AC will still be the only game in town for AB to HNL/OGG during this heavy leisure booking period. Westjet could be waiting until mid Janaury unitl Transport gets around to approving NA for the flights.

Flight times ex YYC will be another prickly subject for Westjet. They will want wingtip to wingtip service with AC and this will rile up US CBP. US CBP has been threatening to not allow preclearence for additional flights that operate at peak times. Pre-clearing a 763, 752 and others at 11am departure time could be too much for them. If so then WS would not be able to get preclearing or they would have to select another time slot for the HNL/OGG departures.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
well the mixed class 757 holds 196 people so if it was all Y there would be alot more seating unless they are giving a very generous seat pitch which I doubt. The article says it will hold 193 guests so they are probably blocking seats for the westjet ambassadors on board. So they will either A sell the bigger seats up front for more or they will only be available for a higher fee for advance seat selection.
Our (NA) 757's have a European style business class up front where the middle seat folds down, the middle armrests move in to create wider A/B/C/D seats with a tray in the middle. There is one exception, 755NA (the former Obama Campaign plane) which is configured to 174 pax with 20 "regular" style domestic first class seats. A minimum of 7 seats will be blocked for FA crew rest, a pilot rest seat, mechanic rest seat, ground service rep rest seat, and we'll now need one for the Westjet rep on board.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:26 pm

In our internal Q&A memo about this, the seat pitch is stated to be 32", which is what we have on our 737's. And the satellite TV system on our 737s doesn't work anyways very far past Vancouver Island.
The seat distance in the 737-800's are closer to 34".

This looks to me as if it is a bandaid solution. They should be thinking about a longer term plan because the demand for non-stop from Alberta to Hawaii isn't going to stop in 2011 or 2012.

Why make North American Airlines rich operating aircraft that aren't consistent with the Westjet product when they could do the same as Air Canada did with Sky Regional.

They should backstop an established operator to get a 2-3 aircraft leased 757/767 operation up and running and then bring it in house in five years with a pre-determined seniority formula and then switch it over to 787's.

It's a big project to add aircraft and Westjet hasn't been very good handling big projects recently. I'm thinking about the Sabre change over and their reservation project before that which cost them about $30 million for a bunch of useless code.

The entrepreneurial people at WestJet left the company a long time ago and that change is easy to see for anyone who's flown them for more than about 7 years.

I think it is very smart what Air Canada did with Sky Regional as they were clever enough to realize that they were not the best people to take on the Toronto Island project and make it a success. Perhaps they learnt from the Tango and Zip trials.

Westjet's all daytime flying schedule from Alberta to Hawaii is very good. Air Canada's is redeye from Hawaii back to Canada. I will always pay more to avoid the dreaded redeye!!

Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
Another question, why no flight dates, times and pricing to go along with the announcement???

The quick answer is beacuse the flights are still subject to gov't approval (for NA to operate the flights on behalf of WS).

But this raises some interesting questions: How much business will Westjet lose over the Christmas Holiday's because they will not be able to offer product for sale. AC will still be the only game in town for AB to HNL/OGG during this heavy leisure booking period. Westjet could be waiting until mid Janaury unitl Transport gets around to approving NA for the flights.

Flight times ex YYC will be another prickly subject for Westjet. They will want wingtip to wingtip service with AC and this will rile up US CBP. US CBP has been threatening to not allow preclearence for additional flights that operate at peak times. Pre-clearing a 763, 752 and others at 11am departure time could be too much for them. If so then WS would not be able to get preclearing or they would have to select another time slot for the HNL/OGG departures.
These flights were planned on 737's and had been sold on westjet.com for many months now. Having a 757 on the route increases the amount of seats that can be sold, obviously.

WS does not want to match AC's times out of AB. We want and have daytime flights; AC has red-eye's.

Also note that WS didn't get ETOPS approval to fly to Hawaii until the week before its inaugural flight.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:34 am

So it is finalized. We'd heard rumblings about it for a couple of months but wasn't sure if it was really going to come to reality. I'm surprised though to read in the article that there is only one aircraft. I think there were originally supposed to be 3 in the plan, one for the YYC-Hawaii flights, one for the YEG-Hawaii flights and one as a mechanical spare.

The plan has always been to lease one aircraft.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by HangTen
The seat distance in the 737-800's are closer to 34".

This looks to me as if it is a bandaid solution. They should be thinking about a longer term plan because the demand for non-stop from Alberta to Hawaii isn't going to stop in 2011 or 2012.

Why make North American Airlines rich operating aircraft that aren't consistent with the Westjet product when they could do the same as Air Canada did with Sky Regional.

They should backstop an established operator to get a 2-3 aircraft leased 757/767 operation up and running and then bring it in house in five years with a pre-determined seniority formula and then switch it over to 787's.

It's a big project to add aircraft and Westjet hasn't been very good handling big projects recently. I'm thinking about the Sabre change over and their reservation project before that which cost them about $30 million for a bunch of useless code.

The entrepreneurial people at WestJet left the company a long time ago and that change is easy to see for anyone who's flown them for more than about 7 years.

I think it is very smart what Air Canada did with Sky Regional as they were clever enough to realize that they were not the best people to take on the Toronto Island project and make it a success. Perhaps they learnt from the Tango and Zip trials.

Westjet's all daytime flying schedule from Alberta to Hawaii is very good. Air Canada's is redeye from Hawaii back to Canada. I will always pay more to avoid the dreaded redeye!!

With all due respect, you're way out to lunch on quite a few things.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
With all due respect, you're way out to lunch on quite a few things.
What sort of things?

Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by HangTen
What sort of things?

I'd suggest your view is that Westjet is planning for long-term addition of new aircraft types to the fleet and that what they are doing now is a big project. Adding a wet-leased aircraft is not a big deal - all they do is sell seats, bringing new aircraft types into their own fleet is a big deal, which is exactly why I think they are doing this small-time now to fill a particular, isolated need. I don't think this move suggests anything with respect to longer-term plans other than as a test case for a larger aircraft, which I'll wildly speculate could be 737-900/ER to handle some somewhat longer-haul routes with full passenger load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.