Wiki Posts
Search

Oregon Coast. Where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Oregon Coast. Where to stay

We are looking for a long weekend on the Oregon Coast. Would like a place overlooking the ocean. Any recs. Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
What time of year? Northern or Southern coast? How long are you planning to stay? What other sorts of activities do you want to do? (golf, 4-wheeling, fishing, crabbing, jet-boating, etc.)
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
What time of year? Northern or Southern coast? How long are you planning to stay? What other sorts of activities do you want to do? (golf, 4-wheeling, fishing, crabbing, jet-boating, etc.)
Probably summer.
Don't know "what part"
Thinking that oregon coast would be great place to retire.
Like beach and looking at ocean and smelling/hearing it
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Cannon Beach is on the North Coast, it is our favorite spot. Try a hotel called The Waves...
Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You might check out Bandon http://www.bandon.com/). Check out the Bandon Beach Motel http://www.bandon.com/webfront/direc...?merchantid=17) and the Windermere http://windermerebythesea.com/), both are right on the ocean. Bandon has great golf if you're into that.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

thanks
Old Jun 29, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Stephanie Inn!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:24 pm

So I guess you're flying in to PDX? From there, Cannon Beach and Seaside are a bit closer. Cannon Beach is probably the most upscale city on the coast, with Stephanie Inn being maybe the nicest and most expensive. Seaside has all kinds of hotels/motels right on the beach, not to mention rental houses, plus plenty of stuff for kids if you're bringing them.

But I would suggest Lincoln City/County. It's slightly further, but you can drive through the wine valley on the way. The Inn at Spanish Head is the biggest place right on the beach, but there are numerous other motels and rentals. Salishan resort is very nice, but not right on the beach. Or if you want something really nice (and expensive) there's Whale Cove Inn. For dining, there's The Bay House, Salishan, and Blackfish Cafe, among others.

You could also head further South to Newport, where there is a wide variety of lodging and dining, plus the top rated Oregon Coast Aquarium.

Bandon is quite a trip from PDX, but if you are up for a trip, check out Tu Tu'Tun in Gold Beach, which is maybe the top rated place in Oregon (and you can take the jet boats up the Rogue river).
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
If you're coming from Eugene, I'd recommend staying at the Fireside in Yachats. It's a little motel, but right on the water and the waves crash up on the rocks all night. There are fireplaces in the rooms on the second floor, and little windows that you can keep open to let the ocean breeze and the sounds of the waves crashing in at night. There's also a path right along the water that leads to a beach (probably about 10 min walk or so). Probably my favorite place in Oregon.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PIONEER
Bandon is quite a trip from PDX, but if you are up for a trip, check out Tu Tu'Tun in Gold Beach, which is maybe the top rated place in Oregon (and you can take the jet boats up the Rogue river).

I have heard of it, but I really want resort right on the beach.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Elizabeth Steet Inn in Newport. All the rooms are oceanview with balconies and fireplaces. It's on a bluff overlooking the coastline so you can hear the waves at night. It's about a five minute walk to Nye Beach and a lot of great restaurants.

T
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:45 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I rode my bike down the Oregon Coast and so got to experience the area pretty well. Lincoln City was my least favorite area. I liked Bookings a lot. It is a bit of a banana belt so the weather tends to be better there than in other areas of the coast, and IME they have better restaurants and produce.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 5, 2009 at 9:19 am Reason: correction
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
We did an overnighter @ the Best Western in Brookings 3 years ago.
Had views over the ocean & has a restaurant opposite as well as a diner adjacent.
The rooms were functional but no air con' but the rate was reasonable & was a great place to explore the northern California coastline & giant redwoods..
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by dinosims
If you're coming from Eugene, I'd recommend staying at the Fireside in Yachats. It's a little motel, but right on the water and the waves crash up on the rocks all night. There are fireplaces in the rooms on the second floor, and little windows that you can keep open to let the ocean breeze and the sounds of the waves crashing in at night. There's also a path right along the water that leads to a beach (probably about 10 min walk or so). Probably my favorite place in Oregon.
And I really prefer their other property - next door to the north, the Overleaf Lodge. Funny that two posters from ROC have found these two properties in Yachats - small, small world!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:46 pm

We had success twice using Craigslist, both times staying in vacation rentals near Rockaway Beach. First was a large house just off the beach but they charged us higher than expected cleaning fees even though we did a group clean before we left. (Be careful about subjective cleaning fees!) Still a nice place.
Second time was a small home owned by a couple in Portland. Beach access was just across the 101. The place was perfect even tho not on the beach. We were even complimented by the owners how clean we left it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.