Consolidated "Off Site PHX Car Rental?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Off Site PHX Car Rental?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Many hotels in Scottsdale, if not all, have a rental car center of one flavor or another in their lobbies.

Therefore I suppose you could catch the hotel shuttle to the hotel, and pick up your car at the lobby kiosk.

The trick will be getting onto a hotel shuttle, or summoning one to pick you up.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I regularly rent from the Hertz HLE in Ahwatukee for work, to both avoid the airport charges, and for a place to leave my own car when in town. I think they'll pick you up, you can call and check.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Thanks all. Scottsdale is a bit far for a shuttle. Usually one needs to call the hotel for one to be sent to airport -- which would not be too good as I will not be staying.

Awatukee would be doable. Probably can find some public transit to get down there. I do not think (but not sure) that they can come to airport to pick someone up. Also saw some Hertz HLEs in Mesa . Big problem with these places is they are not open on Sunday - the day I arrive.

I do know they now have a free bus to connect to the Light Rail, so I may be able to find a rental car place on/near the light rail line somewhere.

Returning will not be an issue as I can check in bags ahead, return car, and get back to airport.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha -- funny to see this issue resurface. A couple years ago I rented from Dollar at the Tempe Holiday Inn to avoid some nasty taxes on a 10 day minivan rental. But I see that Holiday Inn is now a Four Points, and the Dollar office is gone.

I've got some friends in a similar spot here, so I was going to try to find them an alternative. If anyone has any more suggestions, please let us know.

The last few times I've flown into PHX, it was on shorter trips, and I was able to get low enough prices to avoid looking for a shuttle alternative. Sometimes when you go off-airport in Phoenix, the daily rates go up. No solution is best every time. It's just nuts how they've gotten away with taxing tourists to death there. The "new" consolidated car rental facility is pretty (I'm sure they spent a ton of "our money" building it), but somewhat inconveniently located. In the east, all the new car rental facilities that they tax you for are at least AT the terminal.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Fees/taxes almost doubleing car rental

Bringing a $55 two day rental to $97
Is there a HLE near the airport?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Bringing a $55 two day rental to $97
Is there a HLE near the airport?
There are some off site rental spots - but not sure which ones are easiest to get to. One can take a free bus to the new "tram" (about 5 min from airport) and then take tram along a long route. But not sure what rental cars locations are on this route. Of course, less convienent to do this vs. taking the shuttle to the Rental Car terminal (where taxes are so high).

there is a "no name" rental car office in the Crowne Plaza hotel (one can jump on hotel shuttle bus and tip driver - or very near that tram stop) -- but I think their rates are about as high as at airport.

I remember a few years ago a hotel with shuttle to airport had a rental car desk (maybe it was the Dollar mentioned earlier) which had decent car rental rates. But not sure which one that was.

For a day or two, may not be worth the hassel to go off airport, but for a week or so, the extra cost can be $200!

Hope someone can come up with a solution.???
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I remember a few years ago a hotel with shuttle to airport had a rental car desk (maybe it was the Dollar mentioned earlier) which had decent car rental rates. But not sure which one that was.
Yes, that was the ex- Holiday Inn mentioned above. That was the great PHX airport alternative, however it has unfortunately been ripped down and replaced with a Sheraton Four Points................with no rental car desk.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

I picked up a rental from the Hertz Ahwatukee HLE this week for a biz trip to Tucson. Now I rent there pretty often, and everyone knows who I am. Anyway, I was chatting with the gal and asked if they do pickups. They won't (CAN'T) do a pickup from the airport, but she suggested taking a shuttle to a hotel south of the airport, and they could do a pickup (the hotels north of the airport are serviced by the Motor Mile HLE). She said the Buttes in Tempe is good, they regularly do pickups to there, or the Arizona Grand (used to be Point South Mountain).
Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
They won't (CAN'T) do a pickup from the airport, but she suggested taking a shuttle to a hotel south of the airport, and they could do a pickup (the hotels north of the airport are serviced by the Motor Mile HLE). She said the Buttes in Tempe is good, they regularly do pickups to there, or the Arizona Grand (used to be Point South Mountain).
I dunno, needing 2 rides seems mighty awkward/slow. I've got family flying into PHX next month and, unless I can find them a priceline deal, I'm going to have to go off-airport for them. On a weekly rental, the savings (mostly tax) are about $100.

There's a Budget office on Indian School Rd. that doesn't look terribly far from the airport. Anyone every use it? How much are taxi fares in Phoenix? And do they charge extra for extra people and luggage (like is it cheaper for 1 person to dash off to get the car and leave everybody and the luggage back at the airport?).

I'm also thinking of sending them to one of the Tempe Enterprise locations, but I don't think Enterprise will let them return to the airport. I think that convenience is worth a few bucks.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:37 pm

I dont need rental until early July, so have time.

I did see some rental companies in Tempe near ASU on/near the tram line. And there is free shuttle from airpor to tram line. That would be ok as I am arriving alone. But would like to return car to airport - which I do know is allowed with many rental companies. There are some hotel near ASU also that have shuttle.

Or, get a shuttle to hotel south of airport (and say I am having a meeting there) and then have Ahwatuke Hertz pick me up sounds ok.

Dont know about taxi fares, but likely about $25 to nearest rental car location.

Another issue is many HLEs are closed Sun and I was thinking of arriving on 5 July. A day earlier would be ok, but it is July 4 and I assume HLEs closed then also! Maybe come in Mon am. Or get a 1 day rental at PHX on Sun and switch on Mon. So many options, none of them great.

Will look for options next week and post if I find anything.

Last edited by SAPMAN; Apr 25, 2009 at 8:43 pm Reason: addl comment
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:37 pm

I dont need rental until early July, so have time.

I did see some rental companies in Tempe near ASU on/near the tram line. And there is free shuttle from airpor to tram line. That would be ok as I am arriving alone.

Another issue is many HLEs are closed Sun and I was thinking of arriving on 5 July.
Yes, there is a free shuttle bus from PHX to the light rail line; it goes from all 3 terminals to the light rail stop at 44th St/Washington.

And the Hertz Ahwatukee HLE is open 7-days a week. I think Sunday is 8 to 5. I've done some work rental pickups on Sunday afternoons when I've driven out to Kingman.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just priced PHX car rentals on hotwire and priceline. Hotwire's fees/taxes were over 100%. Now THAT'S impressive.

Priceline's added about 90% to the cost.

So even if you could get a compact at $20/day, it's really about $40 day. Kinda adds up. I really don't want to send these folks off-site, but if you're renting for awhile, there doesn't seem to be a good alternative.
Old May 7, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like I'll be forced to send some family members off-airport. Have the PHX car taxes actually INCREASED some more recently? I'm getting crazy levels of taxation, well above 50% and in some cases almost 100%.

Enterprise Car Rental on Broadway in Tempe has deals for fullsize cars for $175/week. Taxes are less than 30 bucks!

It seems like the minimum taxi fare from PHX is $15. Any particular issues in taking taxis at that airport? Will they get any grief for wanting such a short ride?
Old May 7, 2009, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Enterprise Car Rental on Broadway in Tempe has deals for fullsize cars for $175/week. Taxes are less than 30 bucks!
Does Enterprise let you RETURN car to PHX car rental hub (w/o extra fees)? I think some car companies do, saving a lot of grief and time on the return of the car. My problem is many "local" rental places are closed on Sunday, the day I think I will arrive.

Yes, Taxes/Fees can double the rental car price if rented from the airport.
Old May 8, 2009, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Enterprise let you RETURN car to PHX car rental hub (w/o extra fees)?
Not on their website. I guess we need to call to see if it's possible. It would be nice to avoid returning cab expense/hassle.

This PHX car situation truly is idiotic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.