Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Security / Connecting / Connections at PHX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Consolidated "Security / Connecting / Connections at PHX" thread

I am looking at a flight to Hawaii that outbound is on United, then connects with USair in Phoenix. On the return flight, it's USAir connecting with Frontier in Phoenix. It appears these three airlines are in different terminals. Would I have to leave the secured area to change terminals? And what about luggage? Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
You won't have to exit the secured area or reclaim your luggage, but you should walk or run every day for a week to prepare yourself for the PHX Death March.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

The reason I asked is because on PHX's website it says to change terminals, you must leave the secure area and take the interterminal bus, which may require you to re-check luggage.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mbstone
You won't have to exit the secured area
I don't believe this is correct. While you can inter-line your luggage, you'll have to go landside and take the inter-terminal bus, as noted.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I was in PHX a few days ago and am 100% sure that you must leave the secured area to change between terminals. Not sure if Frontier interlines (they did not a few years ago, but might now), so that may be a problem for luggage as well. Clearing security is fast in T2 and T3 and can take over an hour at T4 esp. in the morning rush.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
US is in T4
UA is in T2
F9 is in T3

You will need to leave the terminal (and secured area) and catch the inter-terminal bus. The quickest was from T4 to T3/T2 is to head to the South side of baggage claim in T4. The bus will stop at T3 first, then T2.

From T2, get on the bus, and your second stop is T4.

I'll let others more knowledgeable tell you the best bus names to get on.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN

I'll let others more knowledgeable tell you the best bus names to get on.

I've done the T2 to T4 transfer (had a UA cxl and they put me on US), and managed to do the whole thing in about 10 min, but I know the airport pretty well.

Not sure on luggage. UA/US should interline, but you'll want to check with F9.

As to getting between terminals, pretty much most of the airport-run shuttles can do it. When going from T2 Eastward (to T3 or T4), I would take either of the East Economy parking shuttles (Gecko or Roadrunner). The West Economy shuttle should go to T4 also, but not sure. To do the reverse, I think any should work (I've used both Gecko and Roadrunner from East Economy, past T4 to T2 or T3). When going from T4 to T3/T2, I'd probably go from the check-in level.

Lastly, there's a new bus that connects all of the terminals to the light rail. In theory, this should also work for you, but I'm not sure. By the same theory, the rental car shuttle should also work.

If you are getting on a shuttle at T2, ask which direction they are going. There is only 1 curb at T2, so all the shuttles will stop at the same place (close to the baggage claim). T3 & T4 have North & South curbs where shuttles on the North side head West, those on the South head East.

And YES you do have to exit/reclear security between terminals here at PHX. The exception would be within T4, there's ways to get from one concourse to another (ex US/BA to WN) within security. If you have *A status, there are elite security lines for both US and UA in their respective terminals.

My office is close to the airport, let me know if you'll have a long layover.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:26 am

The rental car shuttle will not work as they are terminal specific, the light rail shuttle will work, I took it a couple of weeks ago and inadvertantly did an airport tour it comes from the light rail then stops at T4 - T3 Both South side - T2 - T3 - T4 North side and back to the light rail.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:46 pm

Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport - connecting time

I'm flying into Phoenix on Delta (Terminal 3) and connecting with US Airways (Terminal 4) they say my bags will be checked all the way through (slc-phx-koa). Is 1 hour enough time to connect?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Well you actually have 30 minutes until the US flight starts boarding. If the A gate security lines are long then head over to the B gates. You can cut 30 minute off your wait.

If everything goes right you should make it. If your DL flight arrives late you're going to have to hussle.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Red face

I have a similar situation except that I am flying US airways through PHX connecting on to ONT -- I have an hour layover in PHX.

Sanosuke!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
1 hour going from Delta to US would take about 10-15 minutes; there's a Shuttle bus that runs between the terminals. You'll just need to clear security. Could be close, especially if the DL flight is late.

As for the poster going US-to-US in PHX, 1 hour is fine. US Airways is all behind the same security checkpoint, so you can head straight to your next game.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Be sure to walk out the north side of T3 to catch the shuttle bus to T4 (one stop); the south side bus will take you on a tour of the airport before T4.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
There's a related (recent) thread here that may provide additional info for you.

Lot's of people (even seasoned travelers) find PHX a little confusing because airlines are in separate terminals that are connected by the bus. Get on the wrong bus, and you end up taking a tour of the airport. Obviously, you don't want an airport tour when you have only 1-hour to connect.

T4 (where US and SW are) is the business terminal, and you'll have the longest wait. As Byrd mentioned, there are faster ways to get through security, but YMMV.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Tanic
Be sure to walk out the north side of T3 to catch the shuttle bus to T4 (one stop); the south side bus will take you on a tour of the airport before T4.
Correct! It's free terminal shuttle where you can catch the bus by lower level near Baggage claim & ground transportation. It's easier where you will catch next flight out of PHX. I don't think 1 hour isn't good enough at all. I think she will be missed her flight out of PHX. She have go to ticket counter to get her rebooked for next flight. There is no guaranteed she can do that. I don't think checkpoint will be very long lines during peak-hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.