Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle - Hilton or Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Question Seattle - Hilton or Marriott

Hello all - My wife and are going to be spending a few days in Seattle for our combination Anniversary trip/Mileage Run.

I have plenty of Marriott and Hilton points to use and am looking for suggestions on the best Marriott or Hilton property in Seattle. I am looking for the best overall experience on one of those properties.

I was leaning towards the Marriott Seattle Waterfront, but want to make sure I am booking the best property.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Until the new Four Seasons is finished, the nicest topline chain hotel in town is the Grand Hyatt.

The Marriott on the waterfront is very nice also. It's only a few years old and offers a great view of Elliott Bay. One of the best restaurants in town, Fish Club (by Todd English), is under its roof. The only drawback is, it's a few minutes' walk south to the Pike Place Market district. But if you can get it on MR points, I'd say go for it. It's a striking, modern Marriott and I think you would have a memorable stay.

The only other nice-ish Marriott family property in the city center is the Renaissance. It's big and concrete-blocky and I don't know enough about it to comment further.

The Seattle Hilton has tended to fail to impress. It's an older property a few blocks away from the action, at 6th and University. Do a search of FT's HHonors forum for tepid feedback. It's the only Hilton family property in Seattle proper -- the only other contender is a Homewood Suites on Lower Queen Anne hill, not really a special-occasion sort of place. The Seattle Hilton is a non-striking, unremarkable Hilton and I think you might think you'd come to Cleveland by accident.

Finally, if you could be talked out of using points and wanted a recommendation for a 2nd honeymoon / anniversary / personal occasion spot, I would say leave the chains behind and book the Inn at the Market (www.innatthemarket.com) in Pike Place Market -- more boutique-y and romantic than any of the above. If not, I say the Marriott.

While you are in town try for a table one evening at Chez Shea (www.chezshea.com).

Last edited by BearX220; Oct 14, 2008 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Just wondering what the general consensus is today regarding these two properties for a summer weekend.

I can either book at the Marriott Waterfront, Renaissance or Hilton. I've sort of mentally eliminated the Renaissance but want to know about recent experiences at the Marriott and Hilton. Which is better location? Better treatment of top tier elites? etc.

TIA
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by neo_781
Just wondering what the general consensus is today regarding these two properties for a summer weekend.

I can either book at the Marriott Waterfront, Renaissance or Hilton. I've sort of mentally eliminated the Renaissance but want to know about recent experiences at the Marriott and Hilton. Which is better location? Better treatment of top tier elites? etc.

TIA
The Seattle Hilton is better than it used to be. I usually stay there a couple of times a year. You can read comments here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-us-wa-42.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-us-wa-11.html
The Arctic Club is also in the area.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:57 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by neo_781
Which is better location?
Sort of depends on what you plan to do. The Hilton's location is okay - on the fringe of the main office core rather than the retail/visitor core, but certainly walkable to many of the downtown attractions.

The Marriott will probably be full of people going on or coming off cruises - the Pier 66 cruise terminal is right across the street. You're also walkable to many waterfront restaurants and attractions - Ferris wheel, aquarium, ferry terminal, etc. The Pike Place market is at the top of the bluff above the hotel; there are a couple of elevators that you can use if you don't want to climb the stairs from the waterfront to the market.

No idea how they treat elites; in the summer they're jammed and I suspect customer services are all strained all the time.

The Renaissance is definitely in third place. It's at the top of one of the steepest hills in Seattle (there used to be a cable car stop a la SF on the hotel's site.) Plus you've got a freeway as a neighbor to the north. Meh.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For a unique and romantic atmosphere, I would absolutely return to the Doubletree Arctic Club. We had an amazing stay there. Yes, it's a little further to restaurants, etc., but that's easily remedied on foot or Uber. So much more interesting than the Hilton.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:10 pm

I've had good stays at both the Marriott Waterfront and the Arctic Club. Last time I was at the Marriott, I got a wonderful room with a balcony and a view of Mt. Rainier. It was really easy to just hope up the nearby stairs and go into the heart of the city. I wasn't bothered by the cruise people as they were all out of there at once. Just try to avoid checking in or out at the same time as a group. Eek!

The Arctic Club is just a cool place. I was upgraded to the top floor last time I was there and just thought it was so pretty and loved the decor.

Last edited by MissJ; Jul 26, 2016 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have stayed in Marriott Seattle Waterfront (with no status) during the height of summer before, and I didn't think all that much of it. Same I have stayed at the Hilton Seattle (which I have status, and tried most Hilton properties around Seattle), and I wouldn't go out of my way to go back.
I never made it to the Arctic Club, which I was going to give a try, as it looked good, and people speak highly of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.