Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at DEN - what to do? where to go/eat? how much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at DEN - what to do? where to go/eat? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:08 pm

Meh, if you were going to go to a brewery, Great Divide is way better and in the same neighborhood. It's about a 3 hour drive to Estes Park, if you were into something more outdoors-y. Boulder's Pearl Street isn't bad either, if you're there when school's out. You could almost even get a half day of skiing in at Loveland or A-Basin with 9 hours to play with.
Old May 5, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Tell me about DEN

And by DEN, I don't mean the city of Denver, I mean Denver International Airport.

I'm thinking of taking a Frontier flight DCA-LAX, which has a 2hr layover in DEN outbound, and a 3hr layover on the return. I've never been to DEN before, so I'm looking forward to the opportunity to see an airport I've never seen before. I'm not a terribly savvy flier; I only fly 2-4 segments per year, almost always BWI-MCO for my yearly vacations.

I'd want to stretch my legs, use a bathroom that's not smaller than my carryon, and get a meal that's not served in a paper bag (but also does not cost as much as my ticket - I'm on a budget!)

I prefer not to go landside, so I won't have to worry about the time it would take to get back through security, unless there is a restaurant or something else that on the landside that is not to be missed.

Any DEN fans out there want to weigh in?
Old May 5, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you are looking for food, here are my two favorite places -

New Belgium Hub
http://www.flydenver.com/fooddetails...&URI=tcm:8-569

Wolfgang Puck
http://www.flydenver.com/fooddetails...&URI=tcm:8-563

Otherwise, check out the airport website -

www.flydenver.com
Old May 12, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I agree with JeryFF's suggestions, and would also recommend Pour La France in Concourse B. Sit-down dining, fresh food, and for sit-down airport food, affordable. You simply need to take the train to the B Concourse (you'll land and depart from the A Concourse on Frontier). You do not need to re-clear security.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Denver Chophouse in the center of A is not bad, and, though I have only been to it a few times, I would not classify the food as awesome either.

I can't think of any food place outside of security in the Main Terminal which would be better than the options inside security.

And there are at least 2 locations under the New Belguim name. I believe the one JerryFF is referring to is the full service one above the United Express gates (starting around B90 or something like that). The one in A Concourse is primarily drinks and snacks, not full service as far as I could tell.

Given your stated connecting times, you should have plenty of time to go from A to B and back.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:44 pm

I like the Boulder Beer tap house landside. Depending on when you're going through, security can be dicey.

I also like Mesa Verde for Southwestern food in Terminal A - they have a good selection of Colorado beers.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Late night advice?

I'm looking at a 12:59 from DEN to CLT. A brutal 3 hour redeye that should leave me creamed monday. Anyway, what is there do do/eat that late at night?

I see recs for the Belgian Brew hub here, it closes at 10. Anything in the airport open 24 hours? Or at least till midnight? I have a US club membership, how late are the *A clubs open?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The latest (other than the 24 hour McDonalds in the A concourse) I am aware of is Chef Jimmy's in the A Concourse. And that's only until 10:30 pm. (Bar open until 11:30pm). The United Clubs in the B concourse close at 9:30, although there is one recent post in the UA forum that says that he was told they will be staying open until 10:30.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
I'm looking at a 12:59 from DEN to CLT. A brutal 3 hour redeye that should leave me creamed monday. Anyway, what is there do do/eat that late at night?

I see recs for the Belgian Brew hub here, it closes at 10. Anything in the airport open 24 hours? Or at least till midnight? I have a US club membership, how late are the *A clubs open?
It's been a few years for me to be there that late, but I think most everything shuts down. If your flight originates in DEN, also be aware that A bridge security and one of the main security checkpoints both close around 10pm. It isn't enough to cause significant delays, but don't cut your arrival too close.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by zdave
It's been a few years for me to be there that late, but I think most everything shuts down. If your flight originates in DEN, also be aware that A bridge security and one of the main security checkpoints both close around 10pm. It isn't enough to cause significant delays, but don't cut your arrival too close.
double Ouch. 12:59 departure to CLT, that means a guaranteed 3+ hours in the terminal with nothing open. Wouldnt be that bad if the let me on the plane at 10:30pm to start sleeping.... maybe I'll suggest it .... the redeye is going to be brutal enough as it is.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
double Ouch. 12:59 departure to CLT, that means a guaranteed 3+ hours in the terminal with nothing open. Wouldnt be that bad if the let me on the plane at 10:30pm to start sleeping.... maybe I'll suggest it .... the redeye is going to be brutal enough as it is.
I should have clarified that there is still one of the main checkpoints open (either US Flag or Colorado Flag).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:19 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

...how late are the *A clubs open?
This post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19151031-post76.html
suggests that the United Clubs are now open later....
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: Miles & More, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honors
Hi, I just have a quick question about DEN, the airport itself. Is there any place at the airport, where I can get a t-mobile SIM? I have a 3hr layover, coming from an intl. flight (LH 446 from FRA) and am connecting to SEA (UA 794). I want to use the pay by day prepaid service they offer, but to be able to use it, I need a suitable SIM.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I do not know for certain. If there is, I would think it would be on the B concourse, which is where you will be heading for the UA flight to SEA. List of shops is here, in case you want to contact some ahead of time:
http://www.flydenver.com/shops?dista...Performed=True

When you exit from Passport control and customs, you will be in the Terminal (outside of security). Part of my point above is that I can't think of anywhere in the Terminal where you would find such a SIM, so unless someone else thinks differently, I would suggest going directly into Security (~20m straight ahead from where you exit customs) and hopping the train to B so that you can check out the options there. DIA does have free wifi, if that would tide you over until you reach SEA.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by TRRed
...DIA does have free wifi, if that would tide you over until you reach SEA.
Although in my experience it is wretched - many, many dropped connections, horribly slow, and takes over your browser with a frame that requires re-starting the browser (and once required a reboot!) to get rid of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.