Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at DEN - what to do? where to go/eat? how much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at DEN - what to do? where to go/eat? how much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Cough up = waste.
Well that is only half the price of a round trip cab fare to almost anywhere outside the airport grounds...

Stay put, in RCC, or the main terminal, or go find that entrance to that secret underground base I've been trying to locate for 10 years now.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
The massage place upstairs is pretty good, you can kill an hour there
Old Aug 20, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
DIA is in the middle of nowhere, your best bet is to cough up $50 & buy a day pass at the UA RCC.
Slight modification to UNHBuzzard's suggestion:

Take the train to the A Concourse and cough up $45 for a day pass at the Continental Presidents Club. Free drinks, free WiFi without the T-Mobile hassle, and a much more pleasant environment to spend a few hours in.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bikenski
Slight modification to UNHBuzzard's suggestion:

Take the train to the A Concourse and cough up $45 for a day pass at the Continental Presidents Club. Free drinks, free WiFi without the T-Mobile hassle, and a much more pleasant environment to spend a few hours in.
Crap, I've been doing it wrong the whole time! I agree w/ bikenski here, otherwise you have to go to the bar to get a soda... no cans/fountain thing-a-ma-bob = PITA.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:25 pm

With the DNC in town next thursday, unfortunately your best bet is probably to stay at the airport. A lot of downtown is going to be closed off, impacting traffic in the rest of the area as well, cab availability, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
I-25 closed

I highly recommend staying away from downtown next Thursday. I-25 through downtown will be closed leading up to the speach so traffic will be more intense than usual. I-70 is open but will likely be jammed as everyone drives around the DNC mess (at least they can't blame the Clintons for this one). The Continental club is a great place to whittle away the afternoon. If you absolutly have to get out of DEN, there is a cluster of restaurants at Pena and I-70 (Chili's, Ted's, ect.). I highly recommend Lulu's also but it is just a bit further away. I hope things go well. I was going to MR that weekend but I'd rather not mess with DEN that weekend.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:45 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
To clarify a couple of things...hope this helps, and enjoy your trip.

The Concourse A smoking lounge is called Mesa Verde and the food is excellent. IMO you don't need to leave DEN airside to get a good meal. Food is great at a number of outlets although seating is always crowded.

There is one bus you can take into downtown, no transfers required--but not really an option for the OP as it is over one hour each way. I believe it is the AF to 16th/Market Street and the round trip would be $18 I believe. rtd-denver.com for details.

Also DEN has free ad-supported wi-fi discussed elsewhere in the forum. You get what you pay for. On Thursday of last week I couldn't connect.

Based on the convention traffic I would also suggest staying in the airport or looking to get on an earlier flight as another poster suggested.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: USAirways - CP, American Airlines - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold
Question Afternoon in Denver

Hi there,

I am getting ready to fly to Denver and have found that I will have a free afternoon (12-6pm) on my own. Any suggestions on what to do for a while?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
If you like microbrews, you can take a tour and visit the tap room at Great Divide. A little further in Boulder, Avery also does the same. There are several other breweries in the area, but those would be my first two picks. Another option that would be less likely to require designated driver, but probably more planning, would be mountain biking. If you are interested, let me know what area of Denver you will be in, and I can check with my brother who lives near there regarding rentals and trail suggestions.

The Denver Museum of Science and Nature is interesting, and the Denver mint is centrally located, not sure of their hours offhand.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
What are your interests? What area of town are you going to be in? Are you going to have a rental car?

This is a really hard question to answer without some idea as to the above. There's a ton of stuff you can do in Denver...museums, outdoor activities, shopping, restaurants, sports.

Off the top of my head: Coors brewery tour. Tour the state capitol (sounds kind of boring, but is actually a very interesting tour and a beautiful building). Tour the mint. Go to the Museum of Nature and Science. Go shopping and people watching in Cherry Creek. Drive up to Boulder or even Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. Go hiking in the foothills. Rent a bike and go for a ride. Go to the zoo. Play golf.

If you can narrow it down a little, I can definitely provide more options or elaborate on anything that sounds good to you.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by GBeckman
Off the top of my head:
Here's my take on GBeckman's suggestions...

Coors brewery tour. ^

Tour the state capitol (sounds kind of boring, but is actually a very interesting tour and a beautiful building). ^

Tour the mint. ^

Go to the Museum of Nature and Science.^

Go shopping and people watching in Cherry Creek.^

Drive up to Boulder or even Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. Not enough time IMO.

Go hiking in the foothills. Not enough time IMO.

Rent a bike and go for a ride. ^ Maybe if you're okay with the city concrete trails like the Cherry Creek Trail or Highline Canal; not enough time to get up to the foothils IMO.

Go to the zoo. ^ And near the museum.

Play golf. ^

And don't forget to check if the Rockies are in town - if you hit on a magic afternoon game, you'd have a great time, even if you had to leave early.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
If the 6 hours refers to a layover at DIA, you may want to look into Rocky Mt. Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, which is near DIA with trails, etc., but probably would required a car to reach, AFAIK. If the 6 hours refers to time in or near town between meetings or appointments, then answers to GBeckman's questions would help for further suggestions.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
I disagree on not having enough time to go up to Boulder or go hiking in the foothills...although obviously, dependent on the actual timeframe and part of town the OP will be in. Assuming they're downtown, and have 6 legitimate hours, it only takes 30-45 minutes to get to some really nice hiking in Jefferson County (same to get up to Boulder), and 2-3 hours tops for a good 3-5 mile hike. RMNP is probably pushing it a bit, though, admittedly!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
4hrs at DEN - suggestions?

Inside DEN for 4 hrs or so. Any advice for East or West RCC, restaurants, etc?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Last time I had a layover in Denver, I took the tram over to the C concourse and ate at the Timberline Steakhouse. Much of the restaurant is awfully near the smoking room, aromatically, but the buffalo burger I had was fine and they have an excellent tap selection. I had a Stone Arrogant B.....d, which is one of my favorite beers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.